Morning shake

Hello all!

Quick question - what's a good alternative to 1/2 a banana to put in a morning shake? It's the one ingredient with high carbs and sugar and I'd like to lower it.

Replies

• lizkharvey
    lizkharvey Posts: 65 Member
    I put low sugar, high protein greek yogurt, strawberries, raspberries or blueberries with lemon juice.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    But, but bananas are high in potassium. Give yourself a little allowance for natural sugars in foods. Also good source of b6, manganese, fiber and vitamin c.
  • sonnyboypro
    sonnyboypro Posts: 3 Member
    canned pumpkin
    apple sauce
    half an avocado
  • Zosh28
    Zosh28 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! @JanetYellen I know they are but they really bulk up the shake. It ends up being over 300 calories by the time it's blended and all that's in it is: spinach (or kale); 1/2 banana, 6-7 strawberries, 1 scoop Jarrow protein powder, 2 Tbsp flax seed, almond milk.
  • smilezishere
    smilezishere Posts: 106 Member
    Peanut butter =)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Add a few grapes or half an apple.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I swapped banana for avocado, less carbs/sugar and makes the smoothie creamy and bulkier like bananas do.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    edited January 2016
    If you're using the banana to thicken the smoothie, I'd use xanthan gum instead. It's a thickening agent high in fiber that's negligible calories and just a small teaspoon of it makes a smoothie super thick and fluffy. If you add the banana for creaminess I'd sub almond milk for greek yogurt.
  • FitKat123
    FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
    How about one less tbsp of flax seed.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Add for texture some have been said above like avocado, xanthan gum or gaur gum, flaxseed, chia seeds soaked, dry oatmeal, cream of tartar works for meringue so this might with egg whites (not tested, theoretical). Some do Egg yolk. Fats are great emulsifiers.
    Just gotta experiment and see what you like. I personally love avocado, protein powder, ice and some almond milk. Makes "ice cream soup"