How to track Zumba??

Options
I am attending my first Zumba class tonight! I'm really excited, but I'm not sure how to track it? I noticed there's different "dance" categories; but none really fit "zumba". How do you track Zumba?

Replies

2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    How about getting a heart rate monitor and tracking your calories that way?
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and when I do Zumba on Wii I burn about 560kcal in 60mins. Its hard to know for sure as everyone is different etc. Height, weight, fitness etc.
    For accurate information I would get a HRM. Zumba is quite a good calorie burn.

Hope you enjoy the class
  • kunfused
    kunfused Posts: 13
    Options
    I have bad knees so I just use the aerobics with 6" - 8" step. I don't jump but I stay moving.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i am going to zumba tonight too!!

if you don't have a HRM, I would log it under "Aerobics, high impact" that's what i'm doing!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up on the calories burned of Zumba site and made my own exercise.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    there is a category called slimnastics, jazzercise and I find that to be relatively accurate to my hrm.
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    You can use this website- http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I would put it under Dancing- Aeorobic.

:smile:
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have DVD's and spent quite a while learning the steps in the Basics section, so I just logged it as Dancing-general , then I moved up to aerobics. But I do plan on getting a HRM to get a more accurate reading.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Before I had my HRM i counted it has high impact aerobics or one of the dance options. Now that I have the HRM I can get the calories. Depending on how intense you exercise in the class, MFP cals can be off.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Before I had my HRM i counted it has high impact aerobics or one of the dance options. Now that I have the HRM I can get the calories. Depending on how intense you exercise in the class, MFP cals can be off.

how off did you find your HRM and MFP cals burned to be?
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I found it to be off by a considerable margin. For example, a 30 minute walk at 3.5 mph was about 130 calories for me in the MFP database (remember, it will be different depending on weight so your results may vary) :) My HRM shows 330.

This may not be true for everyone; some go the opposite way. But be advised that you may or may not be charging yourself properly.

ETA: That 3.5 walk the other day was in 95-degree weather and that's part of why it was so high. The database wouldn't have known that.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i use general aerobics