Working out when very out of shape and heavy!

Options
A couple of years ago I was running up to 3 miles, and now I'm so heavy I have severe lower back pain when I'm on my feet too much and I can barely get through a 15 minute low impact video. I'm looking for ideas with how I can get my fitness back. Thanks!

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bicycling has been an amazing help for me after a knee injury. It doesn't burn a ton but it is movement and there are times I can feel that old familiar burn.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walking, start with 15 minutes and increase from there. Swimming is good too.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    "Barely" getting through the 15 minutes, but you ARE getting through it! So keep doing it every few days. It'll get easier. Be aware of your posture. Maybe try different beginner videos if that particular one is aggravating your back.

If your back is already bothering you from standing on a particular day, do a seated workout. There are many on YouTube. A nice one that's no impact is chair yoga. It won't burn many (or any) calories but it'll keep you moving.

Consider joining a gym that has recumbent bikes and a warm pool.

Go for a short walk every day. 5 minutes walking is still more than zero minutes. You'll build endurance and be able to to more, if you keep as active as you can be.

Be patient with yourself. But keep going!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Your fitness level can improve fast if you keep with it. Just keep moving. And it will get easier as you lose some of the weight which is determined int he kitchen. I don't run now b/c it's too hard on my knees at this weight but I will start once i have dropped 10 kg.
  • minimum13
    minimum13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You've made a great start by posting on here and asking for advice - I'm in a similar position and its just soo hard, but the advice I get consistently is just to do something... walking, chair yoga, etc and not to keep looking back to that period when I used to be able to climb hills and run 2-3 miles a week. Its taken time but since I've trained myself to stop looking back and making negative comparisons I had more energy and a much more positive attitude. Hope this helps.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I second the pool idea if it's available to you! When I was at my heaviest, around 290, I found that cycling and walking were great options because they are low impact and helped me really improve my cardiovascular abilities. As I've lost weight, I continue with both of them (longer times and higher intensity) and have also started doing more yoga. Don't let your weight stop you on these. Just do what you can keep yourself interested. You may find those videos are too intense when you first start out but they will get easier with time and you'll be amazed at what you're capable off. Most importantly, find something you love and will look forward to, be it a bike ride, dance class, workout video, Wii dancing games, hiking to waterfalls, etc. Or just a walk around your neighborhood.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A recumbent exercise bike was my starter when I was morbidly obese. If you can track your heart rate you can check the intensity of your workout for you. I found it was the safest way to workout and easy to control. I even did plenty of high intensity workouts, so burned plenty of calories and got very fit.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just do 5-10 minutes at a time a several times a day until you can start increasing your times, as your weight drops and you get in shape you'll be able to do more
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Walk for fitness and walk at every opportunity. Think before you hop in the car, could you walk instead?
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Walking & recumbent bikes are good.
    Also, if you have access to a pool or fitness center there are things like aqua jogging and water aerobics that are less impact on your joints. I did water aerobics for a while after having my son, and getting up over 300 pounds for the first time in my life. I felt a bit silly at first, and was probably the youngest person there by 20+ years, but it was fun and helped me ease into other forms of exercise once I got used to more movement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Walking, start with 15 minutes and increase from there. Swimming is good too.

Yup, just start where you are and add a little bit each time. I have knee issues and have built up to walking three miles. Last summer, I started swimming about 1/3 mile and was up to 1.25 mile by the end of the summer.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    +1 for recumbent bike, I bought one and replaced the recliner with it and taped the remote control to the handle so I had to be on it to change channels. I could do 10-15 minutes on the lowest setting, I crank out 30-60 minutes daily now at a much higher intensity. I felt like I would never get back in any kind of shape, after two weeks it was a habit and I NEEDED to be on it or felt like I was gaining. My back used to hurt after 10 minutes in a grocery store with my body resting on cart handles. YOU can do this. I walk for 30 minute and no back pain. Feel free to add me I am a great cheerleader~!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Google "sit and be fit". I did these while recovering from back surgery.
  • wuxitan
    wuxitan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try DDP Yoga. It's great for injuries and doesn't have any new age stuff or boring music.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    +1 for recumbent bike, I bought one and replaced the recliner with it and taped the remote control to the handle so I had to be on it to change channels. I could do 10-15 minutes on the lowest setting, I crank out 30-60 minutes daily now at a much higher intensity. I felt like I would never get back in any kind of shape, after two weeks it was a habit and I NEEDED to be on it or felt like I was gaining. My back used to hurt after 10 minutes in a grocery store with my body resting on cart handles. YOU can do this. I walk for 30 minute and no back pain. Feel free to add me I am a great cheerleader~!

Great idea, and something I would like to do! I currently have a road bike on a trainer, but recumbent bikes are more conducive to watching tv or reading.

• jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker and a swimmer. It's amazing how fast you can build up the fitness when you just keep doing it.