Help! The more inches and weight I lose, the worse I look!!

Options
soniamemms
soniamemms Posts: 24 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
I am 41, and presently a size 10/12. I started this journey at a 14+, and I want to get down to a size 8, perhaps even more. It seems that the more inches I lose, my skin overhangs my jeans and workout pants. I do not wear clothes that are very fitted because of it, and I definitely don't want my husband seeing me! I kept bragging to him how good I will look when I lose weight, and I may become more amorous. I workout with cardio and weights 3-5 days a week.

Replies

• soniamemms
    Options

I am 41, and presently a size 10/12. I started this journey at a 14+, and I want to get down to a size 8, perhaps even more. It seems that the more inches I lose, my skin overhangs my jeans and workout pants. I do not wear clothes that are very fitted because of it, and I definitely don't want my husband seeing me! I kept bragging to him how good I will look when I lose weight, and I may become more amorous. I workout with cardio and weights 3-5 days a week.[/quote]

• Raw_Forever
    Raw_Forever Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Stop it, you are gorgeous
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight goes through a weird flobby stage

When you're fat it's kind of firm

When you lose fat it gets wobbly and sometimes bitty with lumps

And then you keep losing fat and it gets tighter and tauter

You're just in the worst bit...keep going it gets tighter and tauter and your confidence will blossom

I can't promise you won't have excess skin, depends on luck, genetics, how fat you were, for how long, how much time you've been in maintenance but you will get your confidence back
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    One big thing

Do not wait till you're a certain size to get amorous ...just go for it, he's your husband and knows every inch of you and loves you ...and an active sex life boosts your confidence phenomenally
  • soniamemms
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    And go lingerie shopping
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started out very similarly to you. I was size 14 and went down to a 9/10 last winter. While I felt great, my assets (literally my rear end and upper thighs) began to look flabby and loose. When I weighed more, I always liked that I had a full rear. The weight loss was intended for my thighs and belly mostly. At that point, I adjusted my goals to leave me at a size 11/12, where I felt I was leaner but still kept the curves I, and my husband, enjoyed.

I kept up with my exercise and ate maintenance daily - things firmed up and I felt great. Hope you get past this phase - perhaps you will decide like I did that you don't want to go as low as you initially thought.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights? IF you don't you should start - it will tone you up.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I started about the same, too, and I'm ~10 lbs from my goal weight (I hit it last year for a few months and then got sloppy). I'm 45 now--spent most of my 30's (after having a baby when I was 30) slowly gaining weight until I was a size 14 at age 42. While my tummy isn't perfect now, things don't really look that bad. If you continue to lose at a nice steady pace, your skin will tighten up a little bit.

Oh--the one thing that makes me a little sad is that I've gone from an F cup (even when I was very thin in my 20's) to a small D cup... My husband has offered implants/surgery, but the thought of pain and recovery keeps me from taking him up on that.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Same thing for me. First I lost weight and inches and looked good still... then things go lumpy. I've never had lumps or dimples and I got really angry! I was working out, eating better and I didn't want to wear shorts or more fitted tops because I just didn't look "right". I was told the same thing... your body goes through a weird, rebellious stage were you look off... keep working. It started to get better the more weight I lost and the more I worked out. I did add in a fair amount of strength training though and that seemed to help... my confidence at least!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Oh my

I didn't mention progressive resistance

Big yes to lifting heavy

• soniamemms
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for the encouragement! @klkateri, I definitely lack in body confidence, but it's great to hear that it gets better. From day one, I have used weights, with a trainer. I have greatly improved and am able to lift a lot more since I started this journey in June. @mitch16 , you can have some of my D cup. I would like to be back down to a C. When I sorted out I was a DD, but now they are starting to look like two deflated balloons. Wish I had a hubby that would off to give me a boob job! I would so get one!!
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My first time with mfp I hit a flabby stage after about 20lbs. My skin tightened up after a while. It just takes time. You already lift so you are on the right track. Vitamin e creams and foods are beneficial to skin. Water helps too! Good luck and great job! You are doing great!
  • soniamemms
    Options
    Thank you so, @saralthrash ! That makes me feel a lot better. Whew! ☺️
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I remember crying after losing my first 5-10 lbs because I thought I looked HORRIBLE. My fat was drooping...it wasn't hard and as firm as before. I thought I was going to look better. I learned that I go we go through stages with fat loss-some of us get squishy fat before the scale drops, sometimes certain measurements don't catch up with others so while it feels like your tummy looks bigger, maybe your legs or breasts just shrunk. Embrace the journey! And definitely get to loving with your man-you only live once, you're beautiful, and he loves you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weight goes through a weird flobby stage

When you're fat it's kind of firm

When you lose fat it gets wobbly and sometimes bitty with lumps

And then you keep losing fat and it gets tighter and tauter

You're just in the worst bit...keep going it gets tighter and tauter and your confidence will blossom

I can't promise you won't have excess skin, depends on luck, genetics, how fat you were, for how long, how much time you've been in maintenance but you will get your confidence back

Yep ... this!

There were several months about midway through losing my weight where I didn't want my husband to look at me either. I didn't want to look at me! I was a bit horrified and even briefly considered gaining the weight back.

But it is getting better. It's not 100% yet, but I'm relieved. :)