Carbs Help?

Options
How do you keep your carbs down? What do you eat? I am just now realizing carbs are in alot more then bread and pasta. I love Fruit and snacking on fruit but it has carbs I have only been here for 3 days but I keep going over my carbs. Should I worry? I am already over by 1 today and i just finished lunch...I still have more snacks before din din. Also when you work out I know they add calories back in but do they add other stuff like carbs?

Replies

• photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Eggs with veggies (onions and bell peppers)
    Lunch: Salads... green leafys + lean protein *or* leftover dinner
    Dinner: varies, but another meat + veg combo of sorts
  • eericson51
    eericson51 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have had a real problem with this too. I don't eat a lot of meat (not vegetarian though) and I, too, LOVE fruits and veggies. I've really upped my protein lately, so that has helped me watch my carbs. My diary is public if you want to check it out for some ideas.

One of the ideas that was given to me was to use protein in your snacks, like a piece of chicken! I thought this was totally crazy, but it does help keep me from feeling so hungry! That or a protein shake! They only have 10 carbs! I drink Muscle Milk and it has 180 cal, 10 carbs and 20g of protein! And it tastes like chocolate milk!!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Well what are your goals? If all you want to do is lose weight you can do that without having to worry about your carbs (that is a simple statement, and there is more to it than that, but it’s kind of true). I took a quick peek at your food diary, looks like pasta is killing you, and processed foods, not fruit and veggies, hint, hint. Try to cut out the processed foods and replace them with stuff that actually looks like something you would find in nature (no noodles running around in the woods, or Activia Parfait crunch). And something else to consider, not all fruits are high in carbs like bananas.

Try lean meats, lots of veggies, berries, nuts and fruits. Instead of Activia, Cream of chicken soup, and Ronzoni’s
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs and love them. In fact, I eat pasta almost every day. It has never been a problem for me and doesn't impact my weight loss at all. I just make sure I watch my portions. As long as I'm within my calories, I'm fine. Carbs are actually the biggest percentage of what I eat by far. I don't eat a lot of highly processed carbs and refined sugars, though. I eat lots of fiber rich whole grains, etc., when I can. :drinker:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs down and when I do eat them, only whole grains.

Really you should eliminate processed foods all together if you can. Go for fresh meats and veggies and cook in bulk, store to eat later.
  • PandaFAmBAm
    PandaFAmBAm Posts: 111
    Options
    Well what are your goals? If all you want to do is lose weight you can do that without having to worry about your carbs (that is a simple statement, and there is more to it than that, but it’s kind of true). I took a quick peek at your food diary, looks like pasta is killing you, and processed foods, not fruit and veggies, hint, hint. Try to cut out the processed foods and replace them with stuff that actually looks like something you would find in nature (no noodles running around in the woods, or Activia Parfait crunch). And something else to consider, not all fruits are high in carbs like bananas.

Try lean meats, lots of veggies, berries, nuts and fruits. Instead of Activia, Cream of chicken soup, and Ronzoni’s

See I am so NOT a huge meat person I struggle eating meat at times. I know cutting pasta out with be a HUGE challange because my son (who is 2) LOVES pasta and it is something we have at least once a week if not more at home. That is why I tried to portion it out last night by mesuring everything. What veggies do you recommend. I always eat tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, brocclie. RICE is a huge thing in our house hold as well (my husband is 1/2 asian) and I know that will hurt me as well.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    See I am so NOT a huge meat person I struggle eating meat at times. I know cutting pasta out with be a HUGE challange because my son (who is 2) LOVES pasta and it is something we have at least once a week if not more at home. That is why I tried to portion it out last night by mesuring everything. What veggies do you recommend. I always eat tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, brocclie. RICE is a huge thing in our house hold as well (my husband is 1/2 asian) and I know that will hurt me as well.

Rice and pasta is not filling for long. That's probably why you feel hungry not too long after.

Switching to natural rice and mixing in some meat (chicken, seafood, etc.) will help you keep your calories down per portion and keep you fuller longer. You can also mix in beans instead of meat for a longer lasting food that isn't meat. Broccoli is a wonderful vegetable, just make sure what you use to season it is light on sodium and doesn't add extra calories. I season mine with lemon juice and black pepper. It's very tasty.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Rice and pasta is not filling for long. That's probably why you feel hungry not too long after.

Switching to natural rice and mixing in some meat (chicken, seafood, etc.) will help you keep your calories down per portion and keep you fuller longer. You can also mix in beans instead of meat for a longer lasting food that isn't meat. Broccoli is a wonderful vegetable, just make sure what you use to season it is light on sodium and doesn't add extra calories. I season mine with lemon juice and black pepper. It's very tasty.

Very true. Great advice! I keep my carbs down by eating:

Breakfast: greek yogurt (with low GI fruit) , or ricotta cheese (with berries), or eggs/bacon
    Lunch: Usu. some leafy greens, cheese, turkey breast on the side, or an omelet/spinach/onions/cheese
    Dinner: Some protein with veggie side.
    Sweet treat: piece of fruit or sm. piece of dark chocolate
    Snacks: nuts, trail mix with nuts/berries, protein shake, jerky, hardboiled egg

It's really easy to maintain, at least for me.

B/c my husband and kids don't want to miss out on their pasta/rice/potatoes, I will make this side for them at dinner as well. I just don't eat any of it, or very little, if I have some room in my carbs.
  • rockstar714
    Options
    Its hard to quit eating carbs. They're so yummy! But if you're compelled to eat bread, try to make it whole grain/whole wheat. As far as fruits go, here are some "low carb" fruits:

Rhubarb
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Cranberries
    Strawberries

Another thought is more fiber. It helps you feel fuller longer, or some "complex carbs" that won't make your blood sugar go up/down.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Celery, zucchini, yellow squash, egg plant, beans, spinach, cabbage, peas,. I see you are “only” 24, can I assume you can cook but maybe it’s not your greatest strength? Well young lady it’s time you learned :smile: I hope you take that as meant. I bet you have a hard time eating meat because you just don’t know a bunch of different way to fix it. Make that one of your goals to learn to be a good, no, great cook. It’s so easy these days, with the food network, and every kind of cook book under the sun at your finger tips. Also youtube, type in anything you can think of into youtube and you will find someone has put a demonstration on how to cook it on youtube.

Meats and veggies there are so many different ways to fix both; it just takes time and research. And when you think meat, don’t just think chicken, beef and pork, there is fish of all sorts, lamb, duck, goose, wild birds, buffalo, alligator, shrimp, all kinds of sausage, and other prepared meats. And you don’t have to eat tons of meat, or even meat with every meal, experiment. Try this, make it a goal to find and fix one new dish every week, just think about that, in a year you will know how to cook 52 new dishes you didn’t before.
  • PandaFAmBAm
    Options
    Celery, zucchini, yellow squash, egg plant, beans, spinach, cabbage, peas,. I see you are “only” 24, can I assume you can cook but maybe it’s not your greatest strength? Well young lady it’s time you learned :smile: I hope you take that as meant. I bet you have a hard time eating meat because you just don’t know a bunch of different way to fix it. Make that one of your goals to learn to be a good, no, great cook. It’s so easy these days, with the food network, and every kind of cook book under the sun at your finger tips. Also youtube, type in anything you can think of into youtube and you will find someone has put a demonstration on how to cook it on youtube.

Meats and veggies there are so many different ways to fix both; it just takes time and research. And when you think meat, don’t just think chicken, beef and pork, there is fish of all sorts, lamb, duck, goose, wild birds, buffalo, alligator, shrimp, all kinds of sausage, and other prepared meats. And you don’t have to eat tons of meat, or even meat with every meal, experiment. Try this, make it a goal to find and fix one new dish every week, just think about that, in a year you will know how to cook 52 new dishes you didn’t before.

Oh I know how to cook LOL. My meal plan from the other day was due to my husband not taking out meat for me to make dinner. Life is crazy everyones is I am sure. Summer has been the WORST! I work full time now and as soon as I get off work I run home to cook if it is not my husbands night. My husband then has to rush out of the house by 6:30pm. So if we eat togher it neeeeeeeeeeds to be something fast and easy. We do A LOT of chicken salads, fish, chicken and rice, and pasta. We both love to cook and know how to...it is just finding the time LOL I can't wait till Aug!
  • PandaFAmBAm
    Options
    Oh and MEAT just grosses me out ESPEICALLY red meat when I cook it. I noticed that if I have my husband cook it I will usually eat more. It is the blood blah look that I hate. I am more of a chicken and fish person but that even comes and goes at times
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Eggs with veggies (onions and bell peppers)
    Lunch: Salads... green leafys + lean protein *or* leftover dinner
    Dinner: varies, but another meat + veg combo of sorts

This is what I try to follow. Have been out of lettuce lately, but this is usually how I structure my 3 meals. And it does satisfy me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    dLife’s 2010 BEST Low Carb Snack List!

SNACK COMBINATIONS – NUTRITION FACTS
    Peanut Butter & Celery
    Serving Size: 2 small stalks celery & 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
    Carbs: 5g
    Fiber: 2g
    Calories: 100

Sliced Pear & Almonds
    Serving Size: ½ medium pear & 6 almonds
    Carbs: 15g
    Fiber: 3g
    Calories: 92

Carrots & Almond Butter
    Serving Size: 4 baby carrots & 1Tbsp. almond butter
    Carbs: 7g
    Fiber: 2g
    Calories: 125

Cottage Cheese & Raspberries
    Serving Size: ½ cup cottage cheese & ½ cup raspberries
    Fiber: 4g
    Calories: 103

Tomato & Mozzarella
    Serving Size: 2 medium slices of tomato & 2 slices of mozzarella
    Carbs: 3.2g
    Fiber: .5g
    Calories: 150

Red Peppers & Hummus
    Serving Size: ½ cup sliced red bell peppers & 1 Tbsp. hummus
    Carbs: 7.5g
    Calories: 47

Whole Wheat Crackers & Peanut Butter
    Serving Size: 3 Triscuits® & 1Tbsp. peanut butter
    Carbs: 13g
    Calories: 154

Sugar-free JELL-O w/ Sugar-free Cool Whip
    Serving Size: 6 oz of JELL-O & 2 Tbsp of Cool Whip
    Carbs: 3g
    Fiber: 0g
    Calories: 35

Peanut Butter & Apple Slices
    Serving Size: 1 Tbsp. peanut butter & ½ medium apple (sliced)
    Carbs: 15.7g
    Fiber: 3.2g
    Calories: 141

Kiwi w/ Almonds
    Serving Size: 1 medium kiwi (sliced) & 6 almonds
    Carbs: 12.6g
    Fiber: 3.1g
    Calories: 88

Cheese & Apple Slices
    Serving Size: ½ medium apple (sliced) & 2 1-inch cubes of cheddar cheese
    Carbs: 13.3g
    Fiber: 2.2g
    Calories: 106

Cottage Cheese w/ Almonds
    Serving Size: ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese & 6 almonds
    Carbs: 4.5g
    Fiber: 0.8g
    Calories: 123

Crispbread w/ Avocado
    Serving Size: 1/2 Crispbread slice & ¼ avocado (mashed)
    Carbs: 9.2g
    Fiber: 4.3g
    Calories: 102

Celery w/ Tuna Salad
    Serving Size: 2 medium celery sticks & ¼ cup tuna salad
    Carbs: 7.5g
    Fiber: 1.3g
    Calories: 107

Celery and Cream Cheese
    Serving Size: 3 medium celery sticks & 1 tbsp cream cheese
    Fiber: 1g
    Calories: 56
    printed from www.dLife.com
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions for those watching Carbs- Pepperoni sticks & slices, Jerky, nuts, cottage cheese, string cheese, Klondike slim-a bear ice cream, Hunt's sugar free puddings, sugar free jellos, fiber one 90 calories choc brownies, hummus, 100 calories popcorn, vegies, berries, vending machine 2 oz peanuts, barbars snickerdoodle snack cookies. v8 juice, EAS advantage carb control shake french vanilla my favorite, yogurt, eggs, cream cheese & turkey roll ups, tuna snack cans packed in water, low carb tortillas, black or white beans, you can find then in cans add to salads, quinoa grain can use in salads, rye bread reduced calories, to name a few to get you started, Enjoy!