Sugar Detox

Options
Is anybody doing the Sugar Detox for Jan?
On my 3rd day of no sugar. Was wondering how other people are getting on.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So you are eating absolutely no fruits or veggies? (They contain sugar).

If you have no medical issues that require it, eliminating sugar will not hinder or help your weightloss. At the end of the day it comes down to how many calories you eat.

And if you have functional kidneys and liver, you don't need to "detox" grime anything. If you truly have toxins building up and your kidneys and liver aren't working, you need medical help (dialysis) not a made up "detox".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this to lose weight? You will need to judge over time how it is impacting on your calorie defecit and hence your weight loss .. as it's just for a month I assume you'll have to wait until the end of Jan to judge

Of course the word 'detox' is emotionally significant but actually biologically is nonsense

I am personally fine with sugars and even added sugars - I have a nutritionally balanced and satisfying diet and don't choose to eliminate

good luck though - if it's what's helping you adjust your eating I hope you enjoy it and learn some lifestyle lessons
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Is anybody doing the Sugar Detox for Jan?
    On my 3rd day of no sugar. Was wondering how other people are getting on.

Are you cutting out added sugars? Or fruit and things as well?
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gave up processed sugar once for Lent (although not Catholic). Afterward, anything with sugar in it made my teeth HURT! Took months to build up my resistance again but I persevered. Swore I'd never do that again.

Now its all things in moderation.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid processed sugar.Good luck. Detox,clean eating whatever you call it is a worthy self challenge.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP what happens after January?
  • Bacardibarker
    Bacardibarker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's 3 days of eating high protein and green veg, mushrooms and no dairy. After that you slowly introduce more foods. eg Tomorrow I can add tomatoes, Carrots, apples and dairy to my diet. Week 2 you add more foods, Week 3 you add more too.

After Jan, I can eat anything but shouldn't want/like the taste of too many high sugar foods.
    Doing it as a experiment on how sugar effects my body and if the diet helps with my sleep pattern.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So you are eating absolutely no fruits or veggies? (They contain sugar).

If you have no medical issues that require it, eliminating sugar will not hinder or help your weightloss. At the end of the day it comes down to how many calories you eat.

And if you have functional kidneys and liver, you don't need to "detox" grime anything. If you truly have toxins building up and your kidneys and liver aren't working, you need medical help (dialysis) not a made up "detox".
    Even avoiding fruits and vegetables, the body will produce glucose to keep the brain going even if the person has zero dietary carbs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's 3 days of eating high protein and green veg, mushrooms and no dairy. After that you slowly introduce more foods. eg Tomorrow I can add tomatoes, Carrots, apples and dairy to my diet. Week 2 you add more foods, Week 3 you add more too.

After Jan, I can eat anything but shouldn't want/like the taste of too many high sugar foods.
    Doing it as a experiment on how sugar effects my body and if the diet helps with my sleep pattern.

Sounds pretty reasonable. I like including some foods with sugar in my diet in moderation, but that's personal preference. Good luck, and hopefully you have a good outcome and it improves your sleep.

One thing I don't like about "diet rules" is that I can feel like a failure. If you go off plan, don't get down on yourself. Especially since it's nothing required for weight loss (and maybe that would just mean that cutting out sugar isn't the best plan for you).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good luck!:)
    If you get headaches, muscle cramps or fatigue, adding extra sodium may help. When sugars/carbs are reduced, sometimes electrolytes get thrown out of balance.
  • Bacardibarker
    Bacardibarker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Good luck!:)
    If you get headaches, muscle cramps or fatigue, adding extra sodium may help. When sugars/carbs are reduced, sometimes electrolytes get thrown out of balance.

Thank you - Had those yesterday. Feeling fine today.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Sounds pretty reasonable. I like including some foods with sugar in my diet in moderation, but that's personal preference. Good luck, and hopefully you have a good outcome and it improves your sleep.

One thing I don't like about "diet rules" is that I can feel like a failure. If you go off plan, don't get down on yourself. Especially since it's nothing required for weight loss (and maybe that would just mean that cutting out sugar isn't the best plan for you).

Seconded
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I cut out added sugar last January, mainly to try and help myself get back to not snacking (I'd been lax at Christmastime) and branch out with how I used my extra calories. I don't think it's always a bad idea, although it depends on you. I hate the "detox" name, though, and prefer just eating a good overall diet to complicated plans that cut out lots of foods.

In any case, I personally did not feel any different and I still like ice cream and pie (which is good). I did find it easier to eat them in moderation once I'd broken my holiday habits again, but some find it can make it harder as they react to the restriction by overeating. So it's just important to figure out what works for you.

Anyway, nothing wrong with experimenting. Good luck.
  • sebunting
    sebunting Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have just started cutting out added sugar. I am eating fruit in moderation . Given up gluten and alcohol too!!! Been drinking delicious shakes and juicing . I'm sleeping much better and I'm really in the zone. Following Amelia Freer's "Eat Nourish Glow". I'm really enjoying it. Want to avoid stomach bloat, loose weight and eat more healthily!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found a great sugar graphic today.
    92e967a964e7e39cdc281838ae86e5a7.jpg

Frankly, I find all macros equally pleasing and beneficial to health. It's preferring one over the other (like suitors on a dance card) where I get in to more trouble. Even too much fiber has unpleasant side-effects.
  • amybalza
    amybalza Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Bacardibarker- I just want to encourage you! I've had success with 21 day sugar detox so maybe you will too.

I've had a bad relationship with food for a long time. My fitness pal helped me lose weight (60 pounds) 5 years ago by counting calories and running. But- I never lost my cravings for sugar and carbs! This led to binging and all kinds of unhealthy-ness.

After gaining about 25 pounds back, I found the 21 day sugar detox (this past November) and gave it a go. I just did level 1 (I've tried paleo too, but too strict!). My first 3 weeks, I lost 8.5 pounds and the most amazing thing was- I didn't have physical cravings anymore! Sure, my brain still thought that a cookie looked good, but it was a thought that I could overcome.

Even after slipping up (pretty significantly) over Christmas, I've been back on level 1 for a week now. Since Nov 9, when I started, I've lost 13.6 pounds- an average of 1.5 pounds per week. SAME rate as when I was calorie restricting and training for half marathons! I feel satisfied after meals, am not hungry between meals (because my blood sugar is stable) and am sleeping great!

Hope this is inspiring for you. I don't view it as a detox anymore- just a "EAT REAL FOOD FOR LIFE" plan :)

Amy