Bra advice?

Options

Replies

• sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a 36dd so I have to get a bra with underwire. I love VS' incredible, I got mine during the semi-annual sale. It's unfortunate that we have to pay so much for a good, supportive sports bra. Coupons and sales are my best friends.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What type of closures do the VS and shock absorber have?
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you go on reddit.com you will find a subreddit called ABraThatFits. It is a wide ranging discussion about brands, sizes shapes of breast, how to deal with size charts. Many of the women have bust/band size configurations that are outliers and therefore it is a good source of product information for things you can't get at Kohls or Macy's or Nordstrom
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have quite a bit up top. I have to wear an underwire bra plus 2 sports bras on top of that. The struggle is real... and so is the discomfort.
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    NotPhyllis wrote: »
    If you go on reddit.com you will find a subreddit called ABraThatFits. It is a wide ranging discussion about brands, sizes shapes of breast, how to deal with size charts. Many of the women have bust/band size configurations that are outliers and therefore it is a good source of product information for things you can't get at Kohls or Macy's or Nordstrom

Wow! That's awesome!

• astronomydomine
    astronomydomine Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    La Isla level 4/maximum impact bras are my fave. They're just as good as $80+ high end sports bras but around $12-$30 bucks a pop. I'm a 36DD (coming down to a 34E now) and they don't move when I run, and are super comfy (before these I had to wear 3 bras over one another!). They sell them on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere online and there's a good range of all levels of support and designs, and a wide range of sizes.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Shock Absorber! I couldn't be without it, they come in big sizes (I'm a G-GG) and for all range of sports. I could run for an hour in my shock absorber and nothing moves.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I really like mine from Old Navy. One thing I do is buy a cup size down (I'm usually 36D, I buy 36C). This helps keep them contained really well and they don't bounce all over the place. :wink:
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb , The shock absorber has 2 closures (clasp)... there is one higher up between your shoulder blades and another about an inch (or so) lower. That helps give lots of back support and spread the weight around so it's not focused on one band.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I love Champion brand ones. all different styles and levels of support
    i will never by anything from VS. everything I've bought there does not last. Champion and danskin are wonderful
  • WendelinTheWeird
    WendelinTheWeird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, I really didn't expect this much help! I have so many tabs open comparing everything.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I don't understand wearing two bras. Like a size smaller under your normal size? Wouldn't just wearing one a size smaller do the same thing? It just sounds really uncomfortable, but I'm clearly missing something.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, I really didn't expect this much help! I have so many tabs open comparing everything.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I don't understand wearing two bras. Like a size smaller under your normal size? Wouldn't just wearing one a size smaller do the same thing? It just sounds really uncomfortable, but I'm clearly missing something.

Not a stupid question at all! I wear two bras for running. I wear a regular bra beneath my sports bra. It is not ideal, but it works for now. I've been holding off buying new bras until I'm into maintenance, which should be in a couple of months, simply because I don't want to have to get another batch of new ones if my size changes again. I started out in a very ill-fitting (too tight) 38DD and I'm now in a 32 DD/D, it's a real pain to find, other than online. So, for now, the two-bras-for-running/intense workouts has to suffice. :)
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    I just wear two bras and get it over with. I wear my regular bra that's a steel super-structure and then a one-size-too-small sports bra over it to really strap them puppies down. Because black eyes aren't a good look on me.

same. I have some cheapie Walmart ones I wear as the first layer and then some slightly nicer (but still inexpensive) Champion ones. I just can't make myself get a $40-50 sports bra when I need to be able to wear it 5-6 days a week.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Victorias Secret has a great front closure, 2 in 1 bra. (I'm wearing it right now!)
    I got one from JCPenney recently, & it is the best one I've ever owned. Ambrielle® Contour Sports Bra
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just discovered Under Armour protogee bras. Fantastic fit and support for running.Made very well and meant for running. Thier t-shirts fit exactly where they should as well as thier compression clothing. After thier washed, look as good as the day purchased Great brand. A bit pricey but worth every penny.
  • monicarungood
    edited January 2016
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i will never by anything from VS. everything I've bought there does not last. Champion and danskin are wonderful

I have never, ever had good luck with VS. I mean I know everyone's mileage is going to vary. I just feel like they're not very supportive. But I love my Champion ones.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

Agree. I purchased 2 bras and all fell apart in a few weeks. Over priced and poorly made. I do like champion and danskin. But prefer UA.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE my TaTaTamer from Lulu Lemon. A bit on the pricey side but they last awhile and I wear them often. Lot's of support for my 'girls' and feels nice too.
  • monicarungood
    edited January 2016
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »

Not a stupid question at all! I wear two bras for running. I wear a regular bra beneath my sports bra. It is not ideal, but it works for now. I've been holding off buying new bras until I'm into maintenance, which should be in a couple of months, simply because I don't want to have to get another batch of new ones if my size changes again. I started out in a very ill-fitting (too tight) 38DD and I'm now in a 32 DD/D, it's a real pain to find, other than online. So, for now, the two-bras-for-running/intense workouts has to suffice. :)

No, it's not a stupid question. Mine are both the appropriate size, but it just adds some extra support that I don't get from just wearing one.

Lately I have been wearing this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Seamless-Sport-Bras-2-Pack/15540051
    Underneath this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PBG5X14?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 (although admittedly these run really small and I bought a L where I would probably normally wear a M)

I tried the Champion ones for the first time without a second to see if it would work and found that, while running, I was starting to come out the bottom. So the second one helps wrangle them a bit better. I'm a 34DD (I actually discovered this morning I might be a 32 now), which yes, is difficult to find. :)

The problem with wearing a size smaller is that after a certain point it's almost impossible to get them over your head (I guess unless it has a back closure.) :)
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Love Natori sports underwire. Also Athleta has some good ones and Title 9 Women's sports company has some great options.