Holding onto treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    When I was able to use the gym, I had to hold on due to issues surrounding my illness. A lot of people with disabilities can only walk slowly on a treadmill and if they hold on. My hubby used to crack up at me, I'd have a Lycra clad goddess either side of me sprinting and puffing away, there'd be me taking what looked like a Sunday stroll :D

Nothing wrong with a nice Sunday stroll.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    When I was able to use the gym, I had to hold on due to issues surrounding my illness. A lot of people with disabilities can only walk slowly on a treadmill and if they hold on. My hubby used to crack up at me, I'd have a Lycra clad goddess either side of me sprinting and puffing away, there'd be me taking what looked like a Sunday stroll :D

Nothing wrong with a nice Sunday stroll.

I agree when it's a beautiful forest with my doggy, but the treadmill at the gym? Lol nah
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options

For anyone with balance issues or other concerns, sure, it makes perfect sense to hold the handrails. No one needs to get hurt while trying to get healthy. I think that OP was making an observation about the people who crank up the incline then hold the rails or the top of the machine, thus negating the incline. Maybe I'm being 'judgey' too, but I think they would get more out of their work out by lowering the incline and holding on for balance if needed, but not to keep themselves from falling backwards as they look up at the sky.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Geeze people, she was asking a legitimate question. I didn't see anything judgemental in her post.

A legitimate question about 4 women other than herself "holding on for dear life"?

I'm sure you've never wondered things about other people.. A simple question is all it was. I doubt she'll go to the gym tomorrow and tell the women they're reducing their calorie burn holding on like they are.

I don't see how it wouldn't reduce burn, like others have stated -it takes some of the weight off while running/walking. I doubt though it'll have a huge impact. It's possible they're just getting used to the machine. Or are genuinely scared of falling off, that crap hurts :p
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I only let go when I'm running a sprint. When I take my hands off the machine it asks for me to grab the bar again so it can keep checking my heart rate. I suppose I could burn more calories if I let go of the bars and walked on my hands instead of my feet but hey why be distracting and show off?

It's not like holding the bars doesn't work. But you definitely don't need the treadmill to check your HR constantly.

Main reason I would never hold onto the treadmill while running/walking is because it plain ole doesn't feel good to me. Feels really unnatural and can't get any rhythm. If it works for you, sounds like you've got it figured out.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    After my back surgery, it took about two months of treadmill before I could let go of those bars. Once my balance and agility started to return, I could let go. I don't know their story, but maybe they're more concerned with physical rehab than calorie burn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The reduction in calorie burn would be pretty negligible. My guess would be that they're new and not fully comfortable with the treadmill and feel safer holding on. Safety is more important that calorie burn...actually, where exercise and fitness are concerned, a lot of things are more important than calorie burn.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is no joke I was at my gym and a girl was lifting herself holding on to the bars and still acting like she was running.. I kept looking like she was kidding. She wasn't even on the treadmill.. it was so weird her feet were in the air. WHY BOTHER
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My mom just started working out with me, she's 50. Yesterday was literally her 2nd time ever setting foot in a gym, and when we walked on the treadmill, it seemed like she just completely forgot how to walk, and was having difficulty moving with the machine, even set to a speed of 1.5mph, so she held onto the rails for dear life, until she got a bit more comfortable with it; it's just not normal for the "ground" to move versus us, so it wasn't normal for her.
    I would hate to think someone would see her and think "what the hell is she doing." It's best we all just mind our own if the person isn't doing anyone else any harm.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    You are not supposed to hold on to the rails. Holding on is unnatural and can cause imbalances and perhaps back problems. They won't be there long. More treadmills for everybody!

Lololololol. Okay then. Let's make stuff and AND wish for injuries for other people.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm odd. When I'm walking or running on the treadmill while watching a show, I will gently tap the tips of my fingers or the back of my nails on the rail to reorient every few steps, alternating left and right.

@tracefan : was she permanently in the air? That'd be a pretty good but very different workout lol. Did she bother having the belt going? Funny!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever use the treadmills as I prefer to run outside. I find it so easy to press the STOP button, whereas outside I have to keep running to get home or to the car. I am normally a helpful person- I will go back to sexy pants instead of judgey pants!

Eh, while your post may have come across as a little judgey, you said it here and not to the women at the gym. I think it's perfectly reasonable to make an observation and ask a question :)