Effexor

I have to take Effexor for OCD. I was on it 8 yrs ago and didn't remember gaining weight, but I've been on it this time for about 7 months and when I upped the dosage in October, I've noticed about 5 pound gain. Plus I'm craving salt and sugar so much that I can't talk myself out of it.
Just wondering if anyone else had experience with Effexor.
Thanks!

Replies

• ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    I'm on Effexor, for depression/anxiety, partly because it's weight neutral. I've been losing steadily.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I'm taking Effexor for the second time and I haven't noticed any unexpected weight gain (only weight gain has been my fault, can't blame the Effexor unfortunately :( ).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Its usually weight neutral.
    Have you been counting calories this entire time ? Calorie surplus causes real weight gain not the medicine alone. So as long as you figure out how to manage your cravings, then you should be able to control it.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    I know that it's supposed to be weight neutral but right now I'm on 158 and I am just craving bad stuff all the time. To lose weight I usually have to stay under 1500 cal and to maintain and usually have to stay under 1750. I'm eating like 18 to 1900 about 4 to 5 days a week. Two weeks ago I just started it back on the treadmill, walking 2 to 3 miles 3 to 4 days a week too.
    My appetite has just increased so much and I just thought maybe upping the dosage from 75 to 150 may have done that.
  • fitmek
    fitmek wrote: »
    I know that it's supposed to be weight neutral but right now I'm on 158 and I am just craving bad stuff all the time. To lose weight I usually have to stay under 1500 cal and to maintain and usually have to stay under 1750. I'm eating like 18 to 1900 about 4 to 5 days a week. Two weeks ago I just started it back on the treadmill, walking 2 to 3 miles 3 to 4 days a week too.
    My appetite has just increased so much and I just thought maybe upping the dosage from 75 to 150 may have done that.
    That's supposed to say 150 mg not 158
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I peeked at your diary. You are doing well. Whenever I eat any type of fast food, even if it's a chicken breast, I have cravings that make me go outside and walk the next day (my way of coping). Even in cold rain. Something about fast food that makes me go insane with cravings. I literally will scream at my husband. Like they put some flavoring in it to make you want more the next day. Just in case you react the same way. Just a thought.
  • fitmek
    Maybe---I do eat out more now that I'm working an hr away from home --something is happening and I hate the feeling of craving the bad stuff more than normal!!
  • Reneebycakes
    Reneebycakes Posts: 24 Member
    If you're that worried about the gain, you need to start tracking your food on the weekends to be certain about your intake. You do pretty well Mon thru Fri but are you indulging on the weekend?