Hamburger??

Options
LacieLamp
LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
Ok so when I was at the grocery store yesterday I saw they had a really good deal on 93% ground beef so I bought quite a bit. Now I don't know what to cook with it (besides tacos) and so I was hoping you all might have a good idea of what I could cook with it that would be easy and low calorie. Thanks in advance I know you all will have great ideas for me!!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    we make hamburgers (in fact we are tonight) with the 93/7, they turn out pretty good and arent that high in calories
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I always mix my ground beef with lean ground turkey, then I make meatloaf, meatballs, hamburgers, tacos, mix it in to spaghetti sauce, mix it with refried beans and put it in a wrap with lettuce - not terribly creative, but I have to feed a family of 5 on a budget.
    HTH,
    J
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    My family likes it with cubed potatoes and they put ketchup on top. I know potatoes aren't low cal but they taste good!:wink:
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's Pie (easily adapted to be healthier)
    Meatloaf (make it without all the breadcrumbs, etc and you're basically just eating the beef)
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    Hi! I made ravioli Bolognese a few nights ago..and it was great!!:)

1 lb. ground beef
    1 cup onion (chopped)
    1 jar sun dried tomato pasta sauce
    1 jar green giant whole mushrooms, drained
    1 package (9 oz) ref. cheese-filled ravioli
    1 cup of water

brown meet in 12 inch skillet, drain off any fat..then add remaining ingrediants and turn heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes

it was great!! makes 4 servings and about 500 calories a serving (even less if you used healthier pasta sauce !!)

i bought a cookbook (pillsbury annual recipes 2007) and it gives the serving size and nutritional information for the meals in it! its...awesome!! :)
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    here is a couple of recipes i got you can use your hamburger instead of turkey in all these :)

Reduced-Fat Meatloaf

1-1/2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef, ground turkey breast, or extra-lean ground turkey
    2 egg whites
    1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    3/4 cup finely chopped celery
    1/2 cup unsweetened tomato sauce
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard
    1 Tbsp. dried parsley
    Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well with wooden spoons or hands. Place on board or waxed paper and shape into loaf, then place in loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour. Depending on the shape and thickness of the loaf, it may need to cook for slightly longer. Serves 6.

Preparation Time: 20 minutes

Cooking Time: 1 hour

calories: 257

protein: 24g

fiber: 2g

carbs: 13g

fat total: 12g

sat fat: 4g

turkey chilli in crock pot

2 pounds ground turkey
    2 med onions chopped
    2 cans 16oz kidney beans
    1 green pepper, chopped (I used red just cause I like it better)
    2 cans 14.8 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 can 8oz tomato sauce
    2 T Chili Powder
    2 t. Salt (I omitted this, tasted fine without)
    1 t. pepper

turkey buffalo burgers w/ chilli sweet potato fries

Buffalo Burgers

1 pound lean ground turkey breast
    A palmful of grill seasoning - I love Mrs. Dash!
    2 Tbsp hot sauce
    1/4 cup chives (about a palmful), plus extra for garnish, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh parsley (about a handful), chopped
    2 cloves garlic, grated
    1 egg white
    1/2 onion, grated
    Pepper

4 Tbsp. Bolthouse Farms Blue Cheese Yogurt Dressing (1 Tbsp per burger)

In a large bowl, mix the turkey, grill seasoning, hot sauce, chives, parsley, garlic, onion, egg white and black pepper. Form four large patties. When you grate the onion, be sure to grate it over the bowl you are mixing it in so the juices go into the burger.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Sauté the burgers about 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.

Use any roll/bun you wish, or just a lettuce wrap if you are watching carbs. Top burger with 1 Tbsp blue cheese dressing. Everything except bun is included in nutrition info.

Makes 4, 4 oz burgers

Per Serving
    Calories 210, Carbs 3, Fat 10, Protein 24, Fiber 1, Sodium 185

Chili Sweet Potato Fries

2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean, cut into wedges
    1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.

Place the quartered potato wedges on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of EVOO, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, until crispy and cooked through.

Fries can also be dipped in dressing, that however is not included in the nutrition info!

Makes 4 Servings (1/2 potato each)

Per Serving
    Calories 90, Carbs 14, Fat 4, Protein 1, Fiber 2, Sodium 48

also here is a great link for low cal recipes enjoy

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We have a ton of deer meat, and we do: Taco's, chili, home made hamburgers, meatballs, I am now at a loss.... Let me think a bit.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mmm - I assume that ground beef is the same as minced beef in which case you can make LOADS.....suggestions that we use are: lasagne (sheets of pasta only; not cheese sauce); chilli con carne; cottage pie; spaghetti bolognese; nom nom nom.... :smile: Vx
  • deal4321
    deal4321 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers - cooked on George Foremen grill or pan-fried
    Meatloaf
    Sloppy Joe's - the recipe is near the bottom of NeuroticViergo's blog....really good http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NeuroticVirgo?month=201106
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    meatloaf; add egg whites instead of whole eggs; add veggies like mushrooms, celery, onion, garlic cloves, tomatoes (And could even do corn i suppose although ive never done this), and even peppers if youd like, and oatmeal instead of bread crumbs, which will all lower calories per slice.

I do the same with meatballs except the veggies need to be cut really small and then can eat alone or with spaghetti, or even on a sandwich, etc.

Beef stroganoff (your suppose to use chunks of beef; but my old roomie use to make it with chunks of burger), and then depending on your recipe, could use light sour cream instead of full, or reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup...recipes are all different though so youd have to find a good one that you can easily change out items like that for lower calorie versions.

Chili; athough beans are pretty high calories (but very very good for you), but again, you can add in more veggies to lower calories per cup; celery, tomatoes, onion, corn, peppers, etc.

hamburgers--serve with plenty of veggies to put on top and skip mayo
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!! I knew you guys would have some good ideas!!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers- use 1/4 pound, then add in a lot of veggies (mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes) before grilling- Makes it JUICY!

Spaghetti
    Lasagna
    Tacos
    Bubble Pizza
    Chili
    Sloppy Joes
    Meatloaf
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Theres some good recipes here!
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe for Stuffed Peppers or Tomatoes:

Stuffed Peppers and Tomatoes

Ingredients
    1 lb ground turkey 99% fat free or 93% ground beef
    2 cans tomato sauce- 29 oz (low sodium)
    1 large yellow onion diced
    2 cups cooked white rice
    2-3 tblspns garlic powder
    2 tblspns Italian seasoning (or mixture basil and oregano)
    ½ tblspn paprika
    16 oz shredded mozzarella part skim
    8-9 large peppers and/or tomatoes

Directions
    Cook ground turkey or beef in large skillet, throwing onions in halfway through. Stir in ¾ a can tomato sauce, most of cheese, rice and spices. Pour one can of tomato sauce in bottom of deep baking dish. Cut off tops (and destem) and gut out peppers and tomatoes and place in baking dish. Stuff each pepper and tomato with stuffing mix to the top. Top with cheese and lid to pepper or tomato. Cover with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 1 hour. Uncover and let tops brown for about 15 minutes. Serves 8-9.

Pretty low on everything so it should be within your limits.
    Hope you enjoy!!
  • dav3yroxmysox
    Options
    This is a great thread.. I buy my ground beef from Costco (They have a 93/7) and there's usually like 6 pounds of it so these ideas are great!