Anyone have appendix surgery? Woke up way heavier from surgery

Bummed. Woke up ten pounds heavier and the recovery is depressing me

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    You do realize that surgery is very traumatic on the body, right?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,135 Member
    It's water retention. You've been cut open, give yourself a break.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Surgery comes with inflammation and water retention. It's normal. Your body needs to do it to help knit your muscle back together. Stay off the scale and be sure you're feeding your body enough to heal.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,135 Member
    Surgery comes with inflammation and water retention. It's normal. Your body needs to do it to help knit your muscle back together. Stay off the scale and be sure you're feeding your body enough to heal.

Indeed. You need more calories to heal than you normally would. Eat enough to aid the healing process or it will be longer and more drawn out and suck harder in the long run. Stay off the scale.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    You probably had tons of iv fluids pumped into you. I get a small bag every 6weeks with my meds and gain a pound. And that's a tiny bag. Saline has tons of salt in it
  • Heather_vaughn
    Heather_vaughn Posts: 39 Member
    Aw thanks everyone!! Whenever I looked it up online I was finding things about long term holding onto the extra weight which I'm heavy enough as it is. Just wondering if anyone else on here has had a appendectomy and their recovery
  • Heather_vaughn
    And thanks for the bit about the extra calories I didn't know that!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2016
    You'll pee it out in a week or two
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Unless the surgeon secretly replaced your appendix with animal fat, you didn't gain any fat at all. Just fluid retention - swelling is very normal after any surgery. Let your body repair itself first and worry about weight later.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Aw thanks everyone!! Whenever I looked it up online I was finding things about long term holding onto the extra weight which I'm heavy enough as it is. Just wondering if anyone else on here has had a appendectomy and their recovery

Not an appendectomy, but I had my gallbladder out laparoscopically a few years back. Didn't weigh myself at the time, but my arm swelled up ridiculously with the amount of fluid they kept me on. It definitely goes away as your body recovers.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    I've had several abdominal ops [including an appendectomy] and the bloating went of its own accord every time, so please don't worry about it. I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Had mine removed a year and a half ago.
    I remember being achy from the gas they use to inflate your middle and being scared to strain my abdominals for fear of ripping a hole open.
    I also remember feeling fine after a couple days and thinking it was silly that I couldn't drive or go back to work.

I do not remember weighing myself the morning after surgery.

ETA in all seriousness though, I didn't weigh myself until after I was cleared to return to normal activity. By then, I had only gained as much as I had expected to from the fact I ate what I wanted and much as I wanted...because surgery.
  • Heather_vaughn
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Unless the surgeon secretly replaced your appendix with animal fat, you didn't gain any fat at all. Just fluid retention - swelling is very normal after any surgery. Let your body repair itself first and worry about weight later.

Thanks for the laugh.

And thanks everyone you guys are awesome.. And as negative as I seem I am thankful I got the help I need
  • Heather_vaughn
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Had mine removed a year and a half ago.
    I remember being achy from the gas they use to inflate your middle and being scared to strain my abdominals for fear of ripping a hole open.
    I also remember feeling fine after a couple days and thinking it was silly that I couldn't drive or go back to work.

I do not remember weighing myself the morning after surgery.

ETA in all seriousness though, I didn't weigh myself until after I was cleared to return to normal activity. By then, I had only gained as much as I had expected to from the fact I ate what I wanted and much as I wanted...because surgery.

I know I'm terrified of a hernia and I have a vet active toddler so I can't just sit around... And yup I'm thinking I'm heading that way in the eating department when you are ordered to sit around food starts looking good all the time lol
This discussion has been closed.