Diet Coke

Options
So I know diet coke is not good for me... However, I am wondering how it is or isn't impacting my weight loss. I have read studies that say how bad it is but I have not been able to stop drinking it. I am wondering how much it actually effects weight loss, I often drink a diet coke rather than eating sweets so I feel in that way it does help me to not consume the calories.

Replies

• Didaniel
    Didaniel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't know about how diet soda impacts weight loss, but I've also heard it's not good. However, there was a study published recently (and I've heard two different numbers) about how consumption of diet soda will increase your chances of having a stroke by 50% - 80%! That information really helped me to cut way back on drinking Diet Coke. It is hard to give it up entirely though.

Here's a link to an article on WebMD for information: http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20110209/is-diet-soda-linked-to-heart-stroke-risk
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    First off, I drink Diet C several times a week - probably 5. I know it's bad for me and I know why. However, I am addicted to it and I too use it to avoid sweets, which is even more of a problem for me. It is the lesser of two evils, but believe me. Both are truly evil for those of us with excess adipose tissue. As I understand it, the sweetener in it was originally invented by a certain organization for the purpose of chemical warfare. Apparently, it was discovered by accident that in a diluted form, it tastes sweet. Thus began the great race to introduce it as a saccharin [proven cancer causer] substitute. There are more rumours about that process, but I'll leave it at that.

If that wasn't enough, the caffeine is also not a great thing, but I admit I rely on it for my daily dose. I can't drink coffee [IBS] and Diet C is my morning coffee and a donut substitute.

I am a bad person. I allow this unclean substance to enter my body.

Did I mention I've lost 8 pounds since the beginning of May? And I'm hypothyroid, which adds somewhat to the general difficulty? And have fallen off the wagon at least 3 days out of 46, to the tune of at least 2500 calories a day?

I accept that right now I am less than perfect and am not likely to ever be perfect. I will strive for it, but I'm flexible.

Does Diet C stop weight loss? I don't think so. Does it slow it down? I don't care. "I'll have a large Diet C with no ice and a chicken fajita, please."

...while I ponder the possibility that I might have a stroke...Huh. Death by starvation. How ironic.

I am a stubborn, stubborn person. Don't listen to anything I say. I'm sure it's all crap.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt your weight loss unless you are significantly over in calories every day or drinking large quantities per day. I would recommend switching to coke zero for zero calories. You can't gain weight from being over your "sugar" or whatever. I would say keep drinking it as long as you don't overdo it.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There's quite a bit of ongoing research about this.

The obvious problems with diet sodas are the caffeine and sodium. These are proven.

The not proven, but speculation includes the idea that because it's not water, it increases acids in your stomach, which in turn make you feel hungry. This idea along with the logic that people justify over eating because they're having a diet soda may cause diet soda related weight can.

Aspartame is the other concern.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/fda-approved-aspartame-in-diet-drinks-radically-increases-your-risk-of-cancer/
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 to 2 diet cokes a day and have lost 55 pounds so it does not seem to hurt my weight loss at all
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I still drink one on occasion to remind myself that I don't like them. lol

I was a soda junky for a long time and the stuff just makes me feel terrible. It's hard though because it really narrows down your drink choices depending on the situation.