How do you do it all? Crazy job, not eating right, not eating enough?

Options
I have a crazy job where I work a minimum of 9 hrs to an average of 12 hrs a day. I work in a convienence restaurant which gets crazy busy. Many times I don't eat or eat late, I don't drink enough either. When I get stressed at work, it's hard to eat the right things. Usually go for easy and fast. Outside of work I don't have many hobbies so I spend most of my time off either doing regular housework, or sleeping/lounging. I don't really have energy for much else. I want to go back to the gym and eat right but it's so overwhelming. Any advice or tips??

Replies

• MB_Val
    MB_Val Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hmmmm well I think drinking enough water is the best place to start. It'll help your mood any energy levels. I work about 9 hrs per day, have 3 small children, cook cleaning, laundry and still find time to workout. I make it a point to get my water in though
  • jaimemeredith
    jaimemeredith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think you need to start with tiny goals. If you think about the big picture right away you'll get overwhelmed and be discouraged.

Maybe for your first week, have a goal to drink enough water like MB_Val suggested. Then after a week of doing that, add another small goal to make one meal each day a bit healthier. Then make a goal where you go for a walk on one of your breaks a few times a week. I did small things like this at first and it really helped me! I just made a list of tiny goals, and when you accomplish them, it's really motivating
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Its tough -- but keep your eye on the prize that we all feel so much better when we exercise and eat healthily and lose weight. Even 10 pounds and my blood pressure returned to normal and my arthritis was managable. I have a crazy stressful job (12 hours/day). I get up early and exercise (I started very light and let it get better slowly), and I keep my food really simple and I hate to admit it but I eat breakfast in car on way to work (protein pancake w/ nut butter), and then egg whites and vegies, and then salad (I often buy premade in bags) with turkey or chicken breast (again if I'm crazy at work I just buy skinless broiled at grocery store), then protein shake (powder and unsweetened almond milk) and repeat some variation of lunch for dinner, and end day w/ another protein pancake and tea, and low and behold it is doable. The first 30 days are very hard though since I always want to give up. But through experience I know how much better I feel when I stick to it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake. Bring meals to work. Make things you can grab and eat quickly. Turkey sandwich on WW bread.
  • darkhorse08
    darkhorse08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Problem is, I usually start with only 1-2 things, then we get into our busy season and everything falls by the way side.... I just don't want to be a quitter. I'll try to increase my water and see how it goes...
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I work at a convenience restaurant too. I bring me a snack/ dinner and every moment I walk by ( in the back I work boh) I take a bite or two. I pre plan everything as I work 2 jobs and have 3 kids! I get 1 day off from both jobs. I get up at 6or. 7 I exercise make a smoothie ( these are your best buddies on a time crunch) I make a breakfast to take with me my lunch and snacks go to work come home from work cook/ clean take care kids for a few hours make my dinner I eat at home if time or take to restaurant job then when I get home I have a pre planned snack and sometimes if I had no time I'll walk and exercise or do a double day. That's like 12 at night! But sometimes I don't cuz I'm frickin tired when I get home!

I prepack all my meals for my days off or days at 1 job makes easy not to eat randomly junk. I try on weekends to go hike w fan before work plus my workout and days off I do my workout/walk and days I don't want to do nothing on my off day I still will clean go upstairs or something to move a bit on that day.

As you drink more water and eat healthier you will have more energy esp after a workout then go to work I'm like ms happy pants
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Dedicate 5 min a day to exercise! That was what I did in the start!
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Oh and doing mini workouts on commercial breaks while tv watching
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    If you can carry a cell phone or can wear a watch just set it to go buzzy buzzy once an hr and just keep like a small juice cup of water. It's how I do it at work
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fitness is important. I work out six days a week and am at my weight goal. Having said that, the MOST important thing is calorie reduction and the second most important thing is not sitting still unless you are sleeping. Throw the TV out the window and walk when you run out of other things to do.
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I work 10 hour days, Tuesday through Friday, plus every other Saturday. I prepare food on Sundays to grab from the fridge at work. I like to make a huge pot of chili, or a large pasta salad, something fast to go to when you don't feel like cooking. If you have zero time to food prep, you can invest in prepackaged foods for a bit until you get a handle on things and your energy up a bit.

Baby carrots, already sliced apples, celery sticks, some of those little tuna packs, already sliced cheese, watch out with crackers, but there are some decent ones. Put slices of breads in baggies and sandwich fixings seperate.

Most restaurants allow you to get sodas, so try water instead. First break, tuna in the celery like you would peanut butter and some baby carrots. Lunch a sandwich. Second break sliced apples and cheese.

When you get home, take a small nap. Set an alarm, take a shower when you wake up. Try shorter 10-15 minute exercise videos.

These things will help boost your energy level and then you can start elaborating.
  • darkhorse08
    darkhorse08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the tips
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy job where I work a minimum of 9 hrs to an average of 12 hrs a day. I work in a convienence restaurant which gets crazy busy. Many times I don't eat or eat late, I don't drink enough either. When I get stressed at work, it's hard to eat the right things. Usually go for easy and fast. Outside of work I don't have many hobbies so I spend most of my time off either doing regular housework, or sleeping/lounging. I don't really have energy for much else. I want to go back to the gym and eat right but it's so overwhelming. Any advice or tips??

I had a housemate who worked in a restaurant and brought smoothies to work to sip on throughout her day.

I like the idea of setting your watch to chime on the hour to remind you to drink.