Lost 55 Pounds in 2015!

Options
The day after Christmas 2014 my wife and kids and I were sitting around miserable, talking about how fat we were. So my daughter says "Hey, lets set aside one month and all together do some crazy Internet Fad Diet!" We all laughed and said "Sure, why not." So she researched and came up with the Whole30 plan. Reading it, I thought, "NO way I'll last a month on this!" But for some reason, whole "cold turkey" for the Whole30 worked. Not only did I lose 12 pounds that first month, but I felt more energized. I slept better. My GI tract functioned better. A lifetime of "irritable bowel" improved at least by 80%. I quit running and just started walking every day for an hour.
That started January 15, 2014. I weighed 260 pounds (or so). Today, January 11, 2016, I weigh 202 pounds (or so). I kept up with the Whole30 very strictly for 3 months, then gradually started adding in a few foods to see how I responded, then cut back out the foods that bothered me. The result is today I'm still losing weight, though much more slowly as I approach my goal (about 15 pounds to go). My waist has gone from a tight 44 to a 38 on the way to 36. My sport jacket size has gone from a 54 Regular to a lose 44 Regular.
I know some people really hate on the Whole30, but for me it was the perfect way to jump-start my healthy eating. My wife became an expert, amazing Whole30 meal planner and we've had the best year of great eating we can remember. Yes, it wasn't just the year of weight loss. It was the year of wonderful eating! She also reached her weight goal, feels and looks amazing.
I have been on MFP for several years and find it a vital tool for managing my healthy eating habits. I use the Fitbit to keep tabs on my activity.
I just wanted to share this news as an encouragement to others: you can do it!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it works for you awesome :)

i lost 70 last year eating the same foods i always have ;) lol

everything is just a means to an end, as long as what you learn is sustainable once you reach your goal :)
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Congrats. :) 55 pounds down is awesome.

I've read that some people can have a sensitivity/allergy type reaction to certain foods and that eliminating those food for a while can help reduce inflammation in the body. Mentioning since you said your GI issues improved.

Glad you have found something that works for you.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    as long as what you learn is sustainable once you reach your goal :)

That's the REAL trick isn't it.
  • lgstone
    lgstone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So far I have found the Whole30 a sustainable basis for planning my eating for a year, and feel no particular weariness with it. I know some people really hate it, for others it's almost a religion. For me, it's just the first plan that hasn't felt like a diet, but simply fits me.