Figure out Burned Calories

Options
How do I figure out how many calories I have burned doing a certain exercise, like doing activity on the Xbox or Wii? Do I need to go get a monitor of some sort and are there any you can suggest?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You would need to get a Heart Rate monitor with a chest strap to be able to tell for sure.
  • LesmillsJunkie
    Options
    I have a polar T31 and it works fantastic for me
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I hear Polar is a good brand. I ordered a Polar PT7. nothing fancy (such as gps) I can't wait for it to arrive so I can try it out!
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    HEART RATE MONITOR -- I GOT POLAR FT7 AND LOVE IT!!!
    HEARTRATEMONITORSUSA.COM PRETTY GOOD PRICE!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use an ePulse2...heart rate monitor without a chest strap...I like it because I can just pop it on my arm when I turn on the Wii. I just use it for pulse and calories burned, and readings are accurate enough for me, and much more accurate than the metrics here or other websites. It has made a really big difference because I'm not overestimating calories burned and therefore not eating more than I should!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    HEART RATE MONITOR -- I GOT POLAR FT7 AND LOVE IT!!!
    HEARTRATEMONITORSUSA.COM PRETTY GOOD PRICE!

Polar FT7 here too...$75 on amazon, shipped =D.

I wouldn't use anything less to be honest. I'd been estimating my workouts at 250 calories. Yeah...try 598 the first day out.

Cris
  • wicklessgal
    wicklessgal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok I am looking at getting a Solo 925. Hopefully it helps me be more accurate with how many calories I am burning.

If you are listed as sedentary do you track every bit of movement you do? Like when cleaning house or grocery shopping?
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't list any incidental activity -- maybe if you feel like you need more calories to keep losing you can start doing that, but why not just keep it simple for now and don't count it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't list any incidental activity -- maybe if you feel like you need more calories to keep losing you can start doing that, but why not just keep it simple for now and don't count it.

Agreed...I only list my exercise calories.

If you move about enough during the day doing things like housekeeping etc, you should probably just change your activity level.