Help sodium and sugar everywhere!!!!

Options
CronoCX
CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
I hate sodium and to much sugar.... Everything I eat has sodium or sugar I cant seem to reg away from it. Anyone have some suggestions? I really been doing great on eating under and at my calorie goals and keeping my weight to go down, but I see sodium on all my food is just so high. Even with sugar in the morning I go over just eating a bowl of cereal. I very open to eating new things and don't mind any good recipes to!

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Eat clean! Cut out the processed junk and you will do just fine ;)
  • destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and would also LOVE sugggestions on what to eat that is lower in sugar and sodium. :smile:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods. Eat fruits and veggies, and make your own meals. There are numerous "eating clean" sites and books.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If your sodium is high, that tells me that you're eating a lot of prepackaged and processed foods. Try eating more fresh foods and it will lower both your sugar and salt levels.

Also, read labels carefully. Regular old cherrios are very low in sugar, but the honey nut kind is loaded with it.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    If you like peanut butter and jelly, try changing to almond butter and marshmallow fluff. The sodium/sugar changes are amazing. Try finding some fresh, boneless, skinless, perdue chicken breasts. They have almost no sodium, just under 100 mg per breast. The only problem I have with them is the fat, but you can work with it. A cheese substitute could be low sodium sargento string cheese. I eat healthy choice microwave meals - there are some really good ones that have 500 or less mg's of sodium. For example: chicken romana fresca or chicken alfredo florentine. Those are awesome. For sugar, you can try sugar free mousse temptations. They have no sugar, 100mg of sodium and 60 cals. Good dessert fix. Hope I helped :)
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    sodium is always killing me!!! aaaaahhhh!!!!
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    I agree in that if I am eating prepackaged foods, my sodium and sugar counts are ridiculously high! I keep it low by cooking my own food when possible (which it's not always).
  • nicley21
    nicley21 Posts: 12
    Options
    Eat clean! Cut out the processed junk and you will do just fine ;)

EXACTLY! That has been what my doctor has been preaching for years! I shoot for less than 1500 mg of sodium daily and I usually have no problem meeting this goal. There are natural sugars in some food, I just try not to eat added sugar. (sometimes the M&M's win) :o)
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Stick with fresh whole foods and sodium will not be an issue
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    The secret to low sugar and sodium is to eat fresh and as "close to the ground" as possible. Let processed food be a supplement, not a main part of your meal (ie., lean protein, lots of veggies, an maybe a scoop of rice, quinoa, etc).

Hope this helps!
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just started lowering my sodium levels to 1500 and its not easy went over yesterday by 100 but still under 2000. I eat cereal too. My diary is open feel free to check it out.
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    Don't worry about the natural sugars in your fruits and veggies, they are better for you than processed sugar. your best bet is to try to keep it as close to your set goal as possible. but don't fret about being over. and the same goes for the natural salts in them as well. natural salts and sugars are a hell of lot healthier than the process kinds that are added for preserving.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Its the processed foods that are killing you, I think. Eat fresh/frozen foods and your sodium will come into line. The sugars I don't worry TOO much about if I am getting most of it from yogurt and fruit.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the sodium part. I almost ALWAYS go over on my fricking sodium!! I've started watching it more and more, but also tried drinking plenty of water to help flush it out.

As for sugar I've cut out the "healthy" foods like yogurt (even lite yogurt) and that stuff. My roommate told me very good advice she had heard, "Toss anything with more than 5g of sugar and you will be fine."
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I hear you on the sodium part. I almost ALWAYS go over on my fricking sodium!! I've started watching it more and more, but also tried drinking plenty of water to help flush it out.

As for sugar I've cut out the "healthy" foods like yogurt (even lite yogurt) and that stuff. My roommate told me very good advice she had heard, "Toss anything with more than 5g of sugar and you will be fine."

Your roommate is giving you some bad advice. If you enjoy yogurt and you can fit it into your daily calorie intake while not sacrificing any other healthy foods, why would you stop eating it just because it contains over 5g of sugar? Also, what does she mean by "you will be fine" as if you somehow won't be fine if you have 6g of sugar in your yogurt.

As for sodium, who cares if you go over? Is there some set amount you must abide by because the FDA says so? If you're outside sweating or in the gym working out, you're losing sodium. Does that mean you shouldn't replenish what you lost?

Come on, eat your sodium/sugar without going crazy and quit sweating the small stuff. As long as diabetes/high blood pressure don't affect you, the amounts (even if you go over) won't matter all that much.
  • CronoCX
    CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for all the great responses!