Can someone explain calories in and calories out to me?

Options
Hi I'm blonde so need everything explained to me in layman's terms.
As you know when I enter my food etc my allowed calories go down, then when I add any exercise it adds more calories for me to eat.
This makes zero sense...I want to lose weight not maintain it. Isn't the whole point to burn more calories than you consume? Im not going to eat 500-1000 extra calories per day so everytime I complete my entry it says I'm not eating enough which is bull...I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Why does it do this? Do I have it on the wrong setting? Jackie x

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    When you set up your profile, you told it you wanted to lose weight. The number of calories it gives you before exercise allows you to lose that weight. When you exercise, those are additional calories above what you need to lose weight. You should eat back about 50% of those calories to help fuel your workouts else you can lose lean body mass.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    The calories you're alotted for weight loss are given. Even if you don't exercise, you should lose weight on that number.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is already included in the number you are given for calories - so if you exercise you need to eat those calories (or at least 1/2) or you are not consuming enough. For example. You are given 1,400 calories, which already includes a 500 calorie deficit. You then exercise 300 calories are added, if you don't eat them you now have an 800 calorie deficit, which over time can be harmful.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    When you entered all of your info into myfitnesspal, it spit out a calorie goal for you to eat at every day. You also chose the rate at which you wanted to lose weight which is factored into your goal. Your calorie goal already has a calorie deficit built into it, without any exercise factored in. If you were to eat at that calorie goal without doing any exercise you would lose weight. The reason that you are supposed to eat back calories from exercise is so that your calorie deficit is not too large. For example, say that without exercise I burn 2500 calories a day. If I want to lose weight, myfitnesspal might set my calorie goal at 2000 calories a day. That's a 500 calorie deficit per day. If I were to do an extra 500 calories worth of exercise that day, but still only ate 2000 calories, my deficit went from 500 calories that day to 1000 calories. You may be thinking that a larger calorie deficit must be a good thing, it's not. If your calorie deficit is too large on a regular basis, then you will lose muscle while you lose weight, and chances are good that even if you lose weight, you will still look about the same as you do now, just smaller everywhere. You won't look defined or in shape like you want to look.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You burn so many calories every day just from living. Feel your flesh; it's warm. There's an industrious chemical engine in every cell in your body working all the time and giving off heat. Your brain also, all that blonde thinking, uses a lot of energy. So you start off your day needing 1,600 calories or so (depending on where you are starting from) to get you through the day. This is your daily Calories Out (CO).

If you eat a little less than the CO, your cells will take energy where they can; from stored glycogen in your liver, and then from your fat cells. All you have to do to lose weight is eat a little less than you need daily.

When you exercise, you put increased demands on your system (greater CO). MFP is compensating for this and raising your Calories In (CI) limit for the day. Please do eat your exercise calories back because you don't want to go TOO LOW on your CI daily. Unintended side effects like hair loss, brittle nails, dry skin, fainting...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If MFP says you aren't eating enough, you aren't eating enough. End off your day with a nice piece of hard cheese, which just so happens to be good for your teeth, too.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP, you tell it how much you weigh, your age, height, and gender... and how much you want to lose. It calculates how many calories you need to eat less per day in order to achieve that goal.

When you exercise, you burn ADDITIONAL calories on top of the deficit that MFP has calculated, so if you don't eat those cals, you will be at a greater deficit than expected. This could either a) cause you to lose weight faster than you intended or b) if you are low cal, cause you to consume far too few calories.

Example... (making numbers up here)

MFP calculates how much I need to consume each day and in order to maintain (neither gain or lose weight) it figures I can eat 2000 calories a day.

I want to lose 1 pound a week, then it tells me I need to only eat 1500 cals a day (500 cals per day x 7 days = 3500 cals - the accepted # cals needed to lose 1 lb)

If I exercise and burn 500 cals on day one... I've already created that 500 calorie deficit - and therefore can eat the full 2000 that day.

Or if you look at it the other way... I'm allowed 1500 calories, but I've earned an extra 500 from exercise

Here's something else to read...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1
  • Dayofthebread
    Dayofthebread Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The deficit is already accounted for so not correcting for exercise calories could mean your actual deficit becoming way too high. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to stay healthy. That said I do think the MFP exercise calories seem over estimated to me sometimes, I don't always eat the full amount back, usually half.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense when you understand how the tool works.

First off, you have to understand that you "burn" 24/7, with most of your burn coming from merely existing on this planet...then add to that your normal daily activities. Without any deliberate exercise, we have a substantial burn already...calories out. So when you consume less calories in that what is going out, you lose weight.

I'll illustrate with my numbers. Lets say I tell MFP I want to lose 1 Lb per week based on an activity level without any exercise...MFP will give me 2,000 calories...this means that MFP is estimating my calories out to maintain weight to be 2,500 calories (500 calorie daily deficit). So in theory I should be able to eat 2,000 calories and lose about 1 Lb per week without any exercise.

Now lets say I go workout and burn 600 calories with that activity. This is unaccounted for as it is not included in my activity level...it makes perfect sense to account for that activity somewhere...so I log it and get 600 calories to "eat back". I will still lose the same 1 Lb per week given that my deficit is still 500 calories per day...I can now consume 2,600 calories and lose 1 Lb per week because my maintenance has also moved up by that same 600 calories...so 2,500 + 600 = 3,100...3,100 - 2,600 = 500 calorie deficit still.

This also makes perfect sense when you can start wrapping your head around fitness for the sake of fitness rather than weight loss or simply burning calories, etc...when you really start getting into fitness for the sake of fitness, you start to understand why you need to fuel that fitness ('cuz you aren't going to get better at anything without adequate fuel).

Beyond that, the more intensive your exercise, the more important it becomes to fuel it properly...failure to do so will ultimately result in recovery issues, injury, etc.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Don't log exercise. It will mess you up EVERY time!
  • MrsArthurisaFatty
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I didn't realise that the deficit was already accounted for...obviously paid a lot of attention when I signed up