Weight loss

Options
callumhughes182
callumhughes182 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning guys.

You will probably have read on this forum many times about weight loss tips and this is no different. But my question is more focused on getting fit rather than weight loss.

I started to diet about 5 weeks ago. I aim for a 1400 calorie diet per day. I have a 30g bowl of bran flakes with 100ml of semi skimmed milk for breakfast. My lunch consists of a USN diet fuel meal replacement shake (works a treat, highly recommended).

For dinner I have a mixture on different days. Some days will be a high calorie meat dinner with vegetables etc. Other days il have smoked salmon salad.

In that 5 weeks I've managed to lose just over 1 stone which I am happy about.

My question is as follows.

I want to get fit. When I first started losing weight, I weighed 17st 4lb and now I'm 16st 2lb.

For the last 2 days I have joined my brother in the morning on a 1 mile jog but I can't complete the whole run without stopping.

So do you have any tips on what I can do to help me complete the mile without stopping?

I was thinking of maybe doing a shorter route but I feel I'm not pushing myself enough.

Any tips would be greatly welcomed!

Callum

Ps first post

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a good program. Some people like zombie run app. The only way to get more conditioned is to keep doing it. Do your best but don't push it to hard because you don't feel like it's hard enough. Walk before you run is very accurate.
  • callumhughes182
    callumhughes182 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Is couch to 5k an app?
    Il download zombie run app right now. Thanks
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A quick search of c25k brings some up. I've never used ant (these are just run programs I see mentioned a lot) but if someone else has they would be best to way in. Currently I'm focusing in lifting with stronglift 5x5.
  • skwytt
    skwytt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think your calories might be too low. How bout you try reverse dieting first in order to maximize your caloric capacity. I know it might sound counter productive but it'll be all worth it in the long run.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Are you a guy? 1500 is the minimum for guys, I'm pretty sure.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Callum, if you go to NHS website, search for Cto5K & you can download it there, it's a free podcast & really good. Also, make sure you are eating enough.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've heard couch25k is great, as an alternative my tips are

1. Never stop when you first want to stop. Run to the next tree, or lamp post or crack in the pavement, just as long as you don't stop when you first get the urge, run a little further. Your brain will give up before your body will.

2. Get a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap, more accurate) and make sure you keep your heart rate up, but not too high. I find I'm a lazy runner so as I get fitter keep running at the same old slow pace unless I actively push myself harder. It may be different for you, but for me I try to keep between 155 and 160bpm. At 170 I start feeling pretty bad.