The best way to track when eating at a restaurant

Options
I do my best to track correctly but I know I will never be exact. However it is easiest to break up each piece of the meal? If I log it as (flounder almondine) for instance then I see all different brands come up. So how do I log this.. flounder then almonds with butter sauce?

Replies

• LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That's what I try to do. Break the meal up into its components.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I track everything what I think the plain raw weight is of the main ingredients, then I will just quick add how many grams of fats I think is added to the dish
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Since I don't eat out too often I don't worry about being too exact, I usually try to find something similar in the database and add the highest calorie option just to be safe :)
  • Dreven1989
    Dreven1989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I mainly eat at restaurants that freely show nutritional info on their sites, such as nandos. Everything else I just deconstruct and over estimate by a bit. As I am prone do underestimating.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of all of the above. And when all else fails and I know I won't be able to get a decently accurate count I log 300-400 for a starter, 1000 for a main including vegetables, 500 for a dessert, and 200-300 for any extra sides. It means I basically write off that day, but for special meals every couple of months it's worth it.
  • Slinn1985
    Slinn1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My trainer - whilst on a cut - used to take scales to the restaurant hahaha dedicated or what.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Or if there was a way to search out the meal you might have ahead of time if it were a chain restaurant? Otherwise, I try to break it down into parts. I'm always astonished how many calories there are in prepared food, even when I thought I'd chosen well!
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot.. Wont be doing so for a while. Vacation in March.. so I need to really not go overboard. BIKINI? But saving for Valentines day reservations that are made.... so I have a feeling I will be acting like the day never existed here on MFP YIKES.