Out of curiosity

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
Just sort of taking a survey here. Totally random (though your answers will help me with a personal situation).

Have you ever lied to yourself about something and how did it turn out for you?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yes. I got caught by myself.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I lie to myself all the time about food. Like the smell of grease makes me sick. It doesn't until I tell myself that it does. That a cookie would taste too sweet. That kind of thing.

I don't lie to myself about other stuff though. Then I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It never turns out well.

I've been lying to myself since my wedding day 8 months ago because my husband never went back to work.

I lie that it doesn't bother me.

I KNOW one day I am going to crack because if I think about it - it bothers me a lot to know I am at work all day while he is at teh gym 3 times and playing playstation black ops.

I suggest not lying to one's self. I know I am going to stop tonight over dinner (which I will cook when I get home) a discussion is in store.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yes. I got caught by myself.

Bwahahahaha...good one...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    It never turns out well.

I've been lying to myself since my wedding day 8 months ago because my husband never went back to work.

I lie that it doesn't bother me.

I KNOW one day I am going to crack because if I think about it - it bothers me a lot to know I am at work all day while he is at teh gym 3 times and playing playstation black ops.

I suggest not lying to one's self. I know I am going to stop tonight over dinner (which I will cook when I get home) a discussion is in store.

I know how you feel. My ex-husband was the same way. You should talk to him about it.
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is a very wide category.

For instance, you can lie to yourself that you can do something even when you don't think you can. (Fake it 'til ya make it.) This can go both ways. You can either accomplish something you didn't think you could or you could end up disappointing yourself because you convinced yourself you could do it and failed.

Another example is you lie to yourself about how you feel. You could tell yourself something really doesn't bother you when it clearly does. Sometimes it may help you get past hurt and pain so you can pick yourself up and move on; however, other times you could end up not dealing with an issue that needs dealt with and will come back to bite you in the butt later on.

There are many more examples; you would have to be more specific. However, as a general rule of thumb, I would say don't lie to yourself. If you can't be honest with yourself, who can you be honest with?
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can lie to yourself...you can rationalize and you wish for things that realistically can't happen, you can hope something won't happen that probably will...either way emotions lead the brain by a leash...

My dad used to say, "SH1T in one hand, wish in the other...see which one fills up first"...

Signed,

The Cynical Pragmatist...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    This is a very wide category.

For instance, you can lie to yourself that you can do something even when you don't think you can. (Fake it 'til ya make it.) This can go both ways. You can either accomplish something you didn't think you could or you could end up disappointing yourself because you convinced yourself you could do it and failed.

Another example is you lie to yourself about how you feel. You could tell yourself something really doesn't bother you when it clearly does. Sometimes it may help you get past hurt and pain so you can pick yourself up and move on; however, other times you could end up not dealing with an issue that needs dealt with and will come back to bite you in the butt later on.

There are many more examples; you would have to be more specific. However, as a general rule of thumb, I would say don't lie to yourself. If you can't be honest with yourself, who can you be honest with?

Thanks. This is sort of helpful. I just don't want to go into specifics because it is super personal and I don't want people to think I'm bringing my drama to the message boards. But I did need some input on this issue.

I'm looking more at lying to yourself about your feelings.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I used to tell myself I was happier being alone than in a relationship. I wasn't, not really, but it sounded good and allowed me not to face my issues.

I changed all of that and now I don't have to rationalize. If I'm not happy, I make a change until I am. Happiness is a choice, not just something that happens TO you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I used to tell myself I was happier being alone than in a relationship. I wasn't, not really, but it sounded good and allowed me not to face my issues.

I changed all of that and now I don't have to rationalize. If I'm not happy, I make a change until I am. Happiness is a choice, not just something that happens TO you.

I agree with you. Do you think someone could spend the rest of their lives lying to themselves?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Like some of the other posters stated I think you can rationalize your behavior, but you cannot really lie to yourself. Because unless you are delusional you really deep down inside know the truth. You can swallow that truth and try to bury it, but it is still there. That being said, sure I've done it. There are always things we don't want to admit about ourselves or the ones we love. But sooner or later you've got to deal with stuff.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes for years, about my weight and what I ate!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    If I were to admit to it.... I would be admitting to it. So no.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    If I were to admit to it.... I would be admitting to it. So no.

Very funny!