Suggestions to make running less boring on treadmill?

Options
Hi all. New here....looking to find some ideas during the winter. I am not a fast runner and need to lose some weight. Not obese, not a stick.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Intervals. Time seems to pass by faster and fitness usually gets improved faster. So something like 30 second sprint, 1.5 minute recovery. Or even, raise incline to 10%, run at say 6.0 for a minute, then decline back to zero. Repeat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Yesssss. HIIT
  • mynameisbobbielynn
    mynameisbobbielynn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I dance on mine! Lol sounds weird but the time just flies. I get really upbeat tunes going and use the treadmill like a moving floor and just dance. Burns lots of calories and loads of fun... But just FYI... My treadmill is here at my house. I don't know how other people would look at it at the gym... Might end up famous on you tube!
  • Soaringrose
    Soaringrose Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A scary audiobook
  • TurquoiseDuck1987
    Options
    I turn on law and order SVU on Netflix on the iPad and power walk at an incline. 42 mins flies by!
  • TurquoiseDuck1987
    Options
    Oh and with headphones to cancel out the annoying loudness of the treadmill.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yea, on treadmill you have tv options and music options, both can help pass the time. TV doesn't really do it for me, but you might try doing the treadmill when one of your favorite shows in on...a 1/2 to hour can pass quickly. Other than that, I daydream :-) . I use the elliptical at the gym and can watch the ladies in lower area work out...that also works for me :-)
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Math games. (like intervals) I pick specific times or distances to move the speed or incline. It breaks it up in your mind to short intervals, and goes WAY faster! Going the same speed the whole time is what creates the monotony. Its actually helped me get faster too!
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Go outside?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Watching t.v. is my guilty pleasure, especially since I don't normally watch at home anymore. Old episodes of Friends and Seinfeld are pretty mindless. Sometimes I watch the Food Channel.

Or I "play games" with my music--I change the pace or incline slightly with each new song--makes the time fly by in 3:30 increments.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Intervals, and listening to books.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Intervals. Pandora.
  • The_Pace
    The_Pace Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't run but walk at a brisk pace. I find one TV series that I didn't watch when it was out and download it for watching only when I am on the treadmill. A few years ago it was Entourage and now I just started Fat Actress. I only let myself watch while on the treadmill so it is also incentive.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I don't use it but I have friends who use the Zombie Run! app that is an HIIT program where zombies are chasing you. If someone created a app that was a clown run, I'd be running marathons by next month. Clowns are evil.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions. I hate treadmills. I'd go to a good cardio class instead - Zumba, cardio kickboxing, dancealates,
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Intervals, and listening to books.

Exactly what I was gonna say...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like to stare at people

Until I notice they notice I'm staring then I get slightly embarrassed and hope they think I've been spacing out in their general direction

Generally staring at the back of people doing pull-ups is my favourite .. cos those muscles ripple

also music

seriously though - I do intervals - or inclines or both or try for endurance (but I'm rubbish at long periods) - I tell myself if I do 4 x 400m at at least 10km/h I can go squat
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Got to have good music!, If the treadmill is in your house then tv shows make time fly (most of the time) I am watching Nurse Jackie on Netflix and the shows are short enough for my workouts. Good luck!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I watch nature documentaries! I learn new things and get fit :)

Although if you're easily overwhelmed and get emotional about the beauty of space, don't watch Cosmos. I ended up sobbing through my workout last week, it was just so spiritual and moving >.>
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Music with a good driving beat! I can't resist moving faster as the beat increases.