Frumpy Mom to Figure Competitor in 3.5 years!

Options
Neversettle78
Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
edited January 2016 in Success Stories
I have been on MFP for 3.5 years now (started with another account name…) and it seemed time to do a progress thread. I did one at 1.5 years and confess that most of the body of this post comes from that post...with the necessary updates added.

I want to begin by saying that I am not an expert by any means, nor do I claim to be one. I just wanted to share my story so far and hopefully someone else may realize that they are capable of more than they imagined. I know there are a crapload of people here on MFP that go about this in many different ways…but this way worked/works for me and I wanted to pass the information I have accumulated and tested out along. I also just wanted to write all of this down so I can return to it from time to time to remind myself why I am doing this and how far I have come.

When I joined MFP 3.5 years ago I was a frumpy mom of 2 little adorable girls. Almost all of the other moms I knew were a little overweight so I seemed to think it was just the norm, and I should just accept it. At my peak I was 163 lbs (5'5" tall) and had a body fat % of what I can only estimate at about 30% or more. I felt awful, I hated how my clothes fit, getting dressed made me cranky and I was just an overall unhappy person with how I was physically. For some reason though I was hoping it would change with little to no effort from myself. I was deluding myself into thinking it wasn’t my fault. That life was too busy to make any significant changes. I was very wrong. For me it seemed that the more I have gotten my eating and exercising in check the more other parts of my life are falling into place. I am overall a happier person and I feel great. My daughters love it when I flex for them and then they flex their little biceps (haha). I am more organized because all my logging seems to have helped me become a better planner. I am being active and actually having fun now instead of being a bump on a log. I could go on and on about the positive changes in my life but this is getting to be a long enough post, lol.

I also want to add that I have had some major life changes in the few years (an ended marriage, then a devastating heartbreak with someone else, learning to be a single mom and providing for my children and I on my own, etc, etc.) but although life has been complicated I have done my best to stick to my goals. I know it is a cheesy line but it is true – “If I can do it then anyone can do it!”. Was all of this easy? HELL NO…but it was worth it.

So after all of that I it is now 1 month since my first figure competition. It was a novice competition and I was in the "over 35 - masters" division. I has hired a competition prep trainer who guided me through it all and she was fantastic!

Here are some things that I have learned along the way and that I truly believe (not everyone will agree with me, I expect that):

Depending on what you are hoping to achieve it is almost always calories in vs. calories out. There are some special circumstances/complications but 95% of the time this is all it boils down to.

Don’t be impatient, everything worth doing takes time.

Don’t white knuckle it, make changes that you can live with. I refuse to completely eliminate the foods that I love, I just indulge less frequently in them.

Use common sense people, it’s not rocket science. Once you stop trying to fool yourself you will start to see real results.

In Place Of A Road Map, search it here on MFP…it will change your view on the entire process and will (in my own opinion) put you on the right path to achieving your goals. TDEE / BMR are things you should become familiar with. 20% below TDEE seems reasonable for most circumstances.

You can fool your diary but you cannot fool your body – it knows.

Take it to the next level, set a goal that is beyond what you think you can do and DO IT! To do it, depending on your personality type, set a goal and/or many smaller goals along the way.

You will get out of it exactly what you put into it.

Excuses are a virus that multiply.

I have been there, I can relate. I made excuses. I burned 100 calories and rewarded myself by eating 500. I ate below 1200 for a while - until I realized thankfully that it was not sustainable and I was not fixing any of my bad habits by doing so.

All things in moderation. If you like something then EAT IT! Just work it into your allowances and enjoy life. I refuse to give up chocolate. I love chocolate cake, hot chocolate, chocolate chips, brownies, cookies, etc. 

And some of my favorite quotes (I have no idea who wrote most of them):

“Loving your body only when it is in perfect shape is like loving your kids only when they are good.”

“Many things aren’t equal but everyone gets the same 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. We make time for what we truly want.”

“Work until your idols become your rivals”

“You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches” – Dita Von Teese

I will try to remember how to add in some Before vs After pics so you can see my progress so far (I am nowhere near done btw). The little folded page icon below doesn't seem to work for me for some strange reason. I may send some over to photobucket and do this the "old school" way, lol.

xoxoxo

Replies

• ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It has been awesome being your MFPal. You are such a huge inspiration to me!
  • Neversettle78
    Options
    It has been awesome being your MFPal. You are such a huge inspiration to me!

Awww, you are incredibly sweet! You don't know how much following you (and the small few on my friends list) pushes me to make each day count! xo

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This was an awesome post! You look awesome in your profile pics
  • Neversettle78
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Thank you! This was an awesome post! You look awesome in your profile pics

Thank you so much!! :)
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! Thank you and congratulations!
    Happy maintenance!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Great post. Congrats on all your hard work; you look amazing!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Love it
  • suemcmurry
    suemcmurry Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    wtg! Would love to see pics of your progress!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Well done!

And you don't look frumpy to me....you were always a looker ;)
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!
  • robinssm34
    robinssm34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Beautiful post!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    awesome post! thank you!! I am in a similar situation - as in fat frumpy mum becoming a figure competitor. I plan to compete in September this year.

• muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your transformation.
  • Blossomhollyblossomholly
    Options
    You look amazing! Well done :)
  • southportmom2fab5
    southportmom2fab5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Love your quotes!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Amazing! How did you find time to balance being a single mom, work, and your workouts? That's the hardest thing for me (though I'm now remarried).
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also have been.on this for three years, Started. MFP long after weight. Loss,When you,speak of daughter's. I also have 2.When they were in. HS I ate bad ,As a go and get it dad being.involved. in all there activity's I put on weight. And became.overweight. and I guess. Frumpy? Don't know if a man uses.that phrase, Not now! Feel, great back to the man I was lots of time in gym ,Never make exuse s go and get like you have done, Your new. You !! Feels marvelously. Good I know this from personal. Experience!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! You look great!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Impressive! You look fabulous!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!