Calculating calories in a recipe where it's cooked in a sauc

Options
So, I made this amazing recipe this afternoon. Seriously sooooo good. However, trying to figure out the calories is a PITA. Basically, you roast garlic, thyme, lemon and shrimp in olive oil. I used less oil than the recipe calls for, but it was still a lot (1/4 cup). However, most of the oil was still left in the bottom of the pan after I scooped the shrimp out. In fact, I dumped it back into the measuring cup, and there was more than 1/4" of fluid (probably due to liquid coming off the shrimp and out of the lemon slices.) So, I have no idea how much olive oil actually "stuck" to my serving of shrimp. I decided to figure that about 1T oil sticks to the entire recipe (about 1/4 of the amount used), so if I eat 1/4 of the shrimp, I'm eating 1/4 of a tablespoon of olive oil. Does that sound about right?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Use the receipe calculator and you will have an exact amt and be able to keep for the next time!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right, yes
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    I unerstand what you mean, in those circumstances I usually default at 1 teaspoon per serving (1/3 tablespoon):smile:
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Thanks! So, it sounds like I'm in the right neighborhood, at least. :) I tend to be under on my calories, so if I underestimated, it will probably be okay. :)
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    So, now we have the amount of olive oil solved.....you tease us by telling us how amazing this recipe is and leave us drooling over the shrimp without knowing the rest of the story????
  • jlm7183
    jlm7183 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty accurate! Nice job!
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    LOL - Sorry! Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/2011/04/roasted-lemon-garlic-herb-shrimp.html

I ate it over salad (romaine lettuce mostly, with a little raw red onion), because I can't eat rice or pasta, but the woman who posted the blog suggests having it over a grain. For me, with salad, the whole meal was less than 160 calories. If you had it with a grain of some sort, you'd have to factor in the extra calories, but it's still a really light, yummy meal (that has the bonus of making your house smell awesome!)