Weight Loss with Thyroid issues

Options
After a 4.5 year battle with GP about my thyroid, last September as my symptoms were getting worse and my TSH had finally risen above 5 my GP put me on 50mg Levothyroxine to try and ease my symptons which it has. I had my bloods taken at Christmas and my TSH has fallen from 5.3 to 3.1 so my GP has suggested trying to loose weight again. In the last year I have put 2 stone on so need to shift it again but I am worried that I might not be able to as the GP said to leave it 3 months then retest my TSH and if it has dropped again he is going to lower my medication. Has anyone else managed to loose weight after being diagnosed with under active thyroid and having the dosage reduced to the minimal amount?

Replies

• jotti101
    jotti101 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had a under active thyroid now for over 12 years. I have gained weight but i have also managed to loose weight when i am in the zone. I fluctuate with the same 5kgs up and down. It the moment i am up again so have now just come back to WLR to help me shift the weight. I am on 125mg levothyroxine and have been as high as 175 in previous years. You can loose the weight but its always going to be hard work, and the key is to stay active.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what your dosage is. What matters are your thyroid numbers (all of them as a whole, not just the TSH). Some people will be able to achieve very good numbers on a low dosage of thyroid hormone and others need a much higher dose.

But I really don't understand your doctor's thinking. I *believe* that here in the U.S. most doctors try to keep the TSH well under 3, and preferably fairly close to 1. I know several hypothyroid people who say they don't feel well until their TSH is below 2.

FWIW, my TSH was 7.63 when I was diagnosed. After being on 50 mcg. of Levothyroxine for about six weeks I was able to start losing weight relatively easily. That was around the first week of August. I'm down 25 pounds now.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jotti101 and Pawsforme, I have only been exercising and eating healthily again since Jan 2 but my weigh in last Friday I did loose 6lb so I have hope I can lose 1lb a week going forward. Pawsforme here in the UK the doctors will not do anything until your TSH is over 5 and you have bad symptoms. I have asked my GP for the results of all my thyroid numbers but I just get told all I need to worry about is the TSH so I have no idea what my other numbers are. I will just keep plodding doing my daily dog walks and trying to work out 4 times a week.
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into another doctor if you feel that this one is dismissive of your symptoms and desire to know your other thyroid lab numbers.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You want your numbers to be in the optimal zone. rsmnk2kw0qac.png
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Rae9911 wrote: »
    Thank you Jotti101 and Pawsforme, I have only been exercising and eating healthily again since Jan 2 but my weigh in last Friday I did loose 6lb so I have hope I can lose 1lb a week going forward. Pawsforme here in the UK the doctors will not do anything until your TSH is over 5 and you have bad symptoms. I have asked my GP for the results of all my thyroid numbers but I just get told all I need to worry about is the TSH so I have no idea what my other numbers are. I will just keep plodding doing my daily dog walks and trying to work out 4 times a week.

I would seriously consider asking for a second opinion. When your thyroid levels are right, you can lose weight. Use a food scale. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • chrissievet
    chrissievet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Rae9911 wrote: »

You need a new thyroid doctor... studies have shown that patients have best clinical resolution of symptoms when TSH is <1.0. And once you find a dose of thyroxine that gets you there you need to keep taking it to keep you there!! You clearly have issues with your general practice doctor, and you deserve to feel good, so no point in continuing to see someone so far out of date...