Weight loss by Jogging!

Options
Has anyone just lost weight by jogging a little everyday? I do other exercises but I try to jog at least 10-15mins 4-5 days a week

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen. You need to eat less than you burn. If jogging helps you achieve that then great but it comes down to your calorie intake.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen and gain fitness through exercise.

also known as ' you can't out-exercise a bad diet'

that said, lots of people (myself included) jog and go to the gym frequently (for me i do an hour of cardio and strength training at gym 5-6 times a week and jog up 1.5-3 miles every night, depending on how im feeling and the weather.)
  • MajesticBlondee25
    MajesticBlondee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about these other people but as a long distance runner it has helped me. Food is more important than exercise but in my case exercise gives me a boost since I burn 600-1500 calories in exercise alone.. I know I'm not the norm
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about these other people but as a long distance runner it has helped me. Food is more important than exercise but in my case exercise gives me a boost since I burn 600-1500 calories in exercise alone.. I know I'm not the norm

Don't get me wrong, I love the extra calories exercise gives me but if I use exercise as an excuse to eat what I want without tracking calories and still expect to see losses I'm likely to be very disappointed.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If you start jogging and keep everything else the same... yes, it will totally help.

But, once you start jogging, you'll get hungrier. So if you use the... "oh I jogged today, I can eat x, y, z" too many times, you risk consuming more calories than you actually burned, and could very well gain weight.

Weight is lost through a calorie deficit. Burn more than you eat.
    Jogging will help you burn more, so make sure you don't over compensate that burn by eating too much.

I did this... I'd jog three miles (about 400 cals) and use it to justify a bigger lunch, supper, and nachos at night... I'd consume 1500 extra cals as a result of justifying my 400 cal burn! That didn't help me much at all. lol
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Jogging will only allow you to eat more because you're burning calories, you'll still lose some stone without it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you lose weight thru a calorie deficit. however, i like to eat so i run. so i can create a bigger calorie deficit
  • 365daystofitgirl
    365daystofitgirl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    dont go hard on your joints
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Jogging will aid in weight loss because you can eat a little bit more than if you didn't jog.
  • MalcolmBunting
    MalcolmBunting Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All of the above is true - calories out more than calories in etc.

But to answer the question in a bit more detail...Yes - walking/jogging/cycling/swimming can definitely all help.

But to make the most of the effort you put into exercising, particularly for weight (and more specifically fat) loss, keep it slow.

You should be able to hold a conversation whilst exercising...albeit with difficulty.

If you can get hold of a Heart Rate monitor, do so ( Polar, Garmin, Suunto etc there are loads...I got my last one for £3 off ebay!) - it takes all the guess work out of "going slowly". Plenty of resources on line...but your looking for an effort in "zone 1" (which is approx 60% of your max HR).

Also, my experience shows that the longer and slower I exercised, the more weight I lost (fancy that!). Best workouts were long slow run / walks of at least an hour (but definitely over 40mins).

I lost 30kgs in a year...so a stone is more than achievable.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    If you start jogging and keep everything else the same... yes, it will totally help.

But, once you start jogging, you'll get hungrier. So if you use the... "oh I jogged today, I can eat x, y, z" too many times, you risk consuming more calories than you actually burned, and could very well gain weight.

Weight is lost through a calorie deficit. Burn more than you eat.
    Jogging will help you burn more, so make sure you don't over compensate that burn by eating too much.

I did this... I'd jog three miles (about 400 cals) and use it to justify a bigger lunch, supper, and nachos at night... I'd consume 1500 extra cals as a result of justifying my 400 cal burn! That didn't help me much at all. lol

This! In my experience when you are a newbie jogger you don't burn that many calories. You either aren't jogging enough time or fast enough. But your hunger will suddenly grow and that can be a problem. If you want to run to run, I love it and think you should. But don't run just to lose weight. Walking & weight lifting are probably a 'better' combo for weight loss alone.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds between Jan. 2013 and Dec. 2014 by creating a calorie deficit. You can create a deficit in one of two ways: eat more or move less. I did both. I averaged about 450 calories a day of exercise (measured with Garmin running and cycling computers, and checked against average results. That's the equivalent of running somewhat over 4 miles or cycling at moderate intensity for an hour.

As others have remarked, that kind of exercise makes you hungry. However, my experience was that exercising and eating 1850 calories every day was a lot easier than not exercising and eating only 1400 calories a day.

Unless you count calories, though, running by itself won't lead to weight loss in most cases.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Running really helped me with weight loss. I am not into starving and it gives me some room for beer and wine. It just seems to get my metabolism up to a higher level and I found out I enjoy it. I must admit that at my peak weight loss I was doing about 30 miles a week. When I slacked off I started putting weight back on.
  • dnallen
    dnallen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you do not increase your caloric intake, it will help. However, everyone is right...it does make you hungrier. I used to take a banana and a bottled water with me to the gym and eat it after workouts. It also helped with leg cramps. But I worked out before dinner so I would come home, shower and then I would really want healthy satisfying foods instead of junk.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    it will 100% help you, and if you enjoy it, keep doing it
  • lippicker3000
    lippicker3000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    IVe always felt that running a little more helped my in my weight loss. Plus the feel of my fat jiggling makes me go that much longer ;)
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I lost pretty quick when I was running/jogging.
    Mostly because I would burn more calories.
    And I would run so far away from my car and have to go back.

Looking back at my photos, my legs look so much leaner when I was running.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help you achieve a bigger caloric deficit, although I echo the PP who said weight loss happens primarily in the kitchen.

I've been running for the past year and have gone through periods of losing weight and gaining weight in that time. All comes down to CICO.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Jogging will only allow you to eat more because you're burning calories, you'll still lose some stone without it!

Stone? LOL Eric...

Anyways, as others have said, weight loss happens in the kitchen. Personally I love burning lots of cals with running because then I get to drink more wine.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Stone? LOL Eric...

Anyways, as others have said, weight loss happens in the kitchen. Personally I love burning lots of cals with running because then I get to drink more wine.

Preach.