Pepper/Onion Allergy

Options
nineteentwenty
nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
Yep, just like it sounds. While I don't stop breathing or break out in hives, if I eat foods that contain chunks of pepper or onion (it's something about the oil), I'll spend a little over an hour in the bathroom firing out one end or the other. Mexican foods get dicey.

Unfortunately, peppers and onions are a flavourful staple of a lot of healthy dishes. What's your favorite recipe that doesn't include peppers or onions? I appreciate any help I can get.

Replies

• Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I can't eat bell peppers (MAJOR heartburn trigger). I find that fennel makes a good substitute for peppers, especially in cooked Italian recipes like spaghetti sauce. They also are good as part of a zucchini and fennel mixture to go into fajitas instead of the peppers and onions.

Not sure what to recommend instead of the onion - is it only onions, or do you also react to all alliums - leeks, shallots and garlic? Low FODMAP recipes may be something to look into as onions are one of the ingredients that some people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) react badly to.
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    It's really only onions, I eat garlic like it's my job, but shallots sometime make me feel bad. Leeks are the least...uh, inflamatory, I suppose. So long as I don't cram a whole stalk into a recipe, at least. Thanks a bunch for the tip on fennel, that had never crossed my mind!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try the combo of ginger and garlic together. Used a lot in Asian and Indian cuisines. Ginger is often used to settle the stomach too. Have you tried powdered onion? Not suggesting you make yourself sick on purpose but just wondering if it would have the same reaction.
  • alienette
    alienette Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That sucks!

My favourite recipe of the moment: beetroot salad with feta:
    Pre heat the oven to 200 C
    Make a sauce with 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp balsamic vinegar and 5 grams brown sugar
    Dice a big fresh beetroot ( aprox. 150 grams) and mix with the sauce. Place on an oven tray and bake for 20 minutes
    Take 30 grams of rocket salad, add 10 grams of chopped roasted almonds and 20 grams of crumbled feta.
    When the beetroots are done, let them cool for a bit and add to the othe ingredients.
    +- 250 calories

You might like the website supercook
    You can add ingredients you already have in your kitchen and give restrictions. It will then find recipes based on those ingredients, or tell you what you would need yo purchase extra to make something.
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, peppers as in capsicum peppers/nightshades? I ask because I'm allergic to them (I carry Epi pens)- particularly hot peppers. I have accidentally ate bell peppers that are cooked in something without major effect, I just end up feeling rather strange.

Although I'm not much help for the recipe part, I can suggest ground mustard/mustard seeds as a way to add heat to a dish.

Good luck. :]
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    I'm curious, peppers as in capsicum peppers/nightshades? I ask because I'm allergic to them (I carry Epi pens)- particularly hot peppers. I have accidentally ate bell peppers that are cooked in something without major effect, I just end up feeling rather strange.

Although I'm not much help for the recipe part, I can suggest ground mustard/mustard seeds as a way to add heat to a dish.

Good luck. :]

Oh wow, I have no idea since I avoid all peppers out of fear. I don't need an epi pen or anything. I just vomit or have violent diarrhea.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    I for one have never understood why onions are in SO. MANY. MEALS. They make me gag.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Here is a recipe for White Chicken Chili (leave out the onions)
    http://www.food.com/recipe/white-chicken-chili-nightshade-free-469052
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of using mustard for some zip. You might trying replacing onion with celery. Similar texture but a different taste.

I say experiment and do a lot of your own cooking.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You may be able to use the green parts of scallions for an onion flavor without hurting your stomach.