Calling all pear shaped gals...help!

Options
So I am most definitely the spitting image of a pear lol. At 25 inches I don't think my waist could really get much smaller. My thighs and butt though are a different story! My thighs measure in at a whopping 23 inches and around my butt is 39 inches. I'm 5'7 and close to 130 pounds.

My question is for all of the pear shaped gals who may have (or had) similiar measurments to mine. What did you do or what are you doing to tone your lower half? I know you can't pick and choose where you want the weight to come off but it would be nice to hear from any ladies who have had success in toning up your butt and thighs.

I workout 6-7 days a week. I run 2 miles a day and do at least 30 minutes of cardio like the elliptical followed by at least 30 minutes of weight training. Now my legs have gotten smaller since I've been working out but I can't seem to ever get them smaller than what they are right now.

Replies

• Rheenz
    Rheenz Posts: 23
    Options
    stairs.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help, I'm in the same boat as you! How I hate to buy pants! waist too big, butt & thighs too small! Others have suggested ballet training and pilates, but I haven't done either. Love to know if you find something that works! I currently run & do jazzercise, but not much change in my lower half!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    We're in the same boat. I'm only 5'4 at 125lb and have an *kitten* that could put JLo to shame. So far the best thing I've found is running. I have muscular/thick legs and then a skinny upper half. So while I try and gain up top I'm trying to tone down below.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Those sound like pretty good measurements to me. Not sure, but genetics really do determine some things. We are all shaped differently. But I do know that since I've been eating low carb inches have melted off rather quickly... Good luck!
  • caseyclementson
    caseyclementson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! P90X and running have helped my butt tone up and I've lost an inch or two around my hips. I've read on beachbody.com that women tend to like their Brazil Butt Lift instead of the leg workout of P90X. I'm training for a marathon now, but I plan to try the Brazil Butt Lift afterwards.

I'm curious to hear what other women have done!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You can't change the fundamental shape to your body, but to tone your thighs & glutes, I recommend lots and lots of squats and lunges. I don't know if it's from the squats/lunges or running, but it's made a significant difference on the tone of my legs and butt. I've been doing Jillian Michael's "No More Trouble Zones" which is a 50 minute circuit training video and it burns calories and tones muscles pretty well I've found.
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and smaller, I had the same problem. The thing that really helped me was getting The Firm video (dvd now) with Susan Harris. The only place you can buy it now is on eBay. I really think it will help you. Good luck!

P.S. It also does a lot of squats and lunges... with weights!
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sorry, not a gal, but you look great in your full body picture! I dont see a problem at all! But, then I have never tried shopping for womens clothes.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    stairs = bad idea
    at least, for me. the more strength work I do on my legs the bulkier they get. can't seem to shrink them. will keep trying though :)
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've mostly done walking and -tons- of step aerobics. My thighs went from 22" to 21", which was the last place I wanted to lose. It's also trimmed my hips from 40" to 38.5". I'm 5'3" and 120 lbs.
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    sorry, not a gal, but you look great in your full body picture! I dont see a problem at all! But, then I have never tried shopping for womens clothes.

I just looked... I don't see a problem with your lower half either. You look great! Good luck!
  • palpadi
    palpadi Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow! You sound so much like me...I have found that speed walking is the very best exercise to tone your upper thighs. I am sure there are other exercises but unfortunately...the very fast paced walking seems to be the best. 5.0 and higher, as long as your heart doesn't beat too fast and you can still sing. ha ha

I was going to say, squats and lunges as well...
  • palpadi
    palpadi Posts: 5
    Options
    I was going to say, squats and lunges as well...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not using the metric side of the measuring tape?! Because you look long and lean and gorgeous, not the least bit pair shaped. Your shoulders are the perfect balance to your hips and you have a tiny waist.

Find a tailor who can nip in the waist on your pants and jeans. Don't be down on yourself because your figure is just too fabulous for mainstream! :flowerforyou:
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I guess squats and lunges it is! I'm really suprised with all the running that I do that that hasn't really helped in toning my thighs. I'll have to try speed walking maybe before and after my runs. Thank you to those who said I look good, that's always nice to hear!
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    I'll pass along what my trainer has told me and so far its working. I do the elliptical everyday for 30 minutes with a resistance of 5. I am to reach 2 miles with that so that ups the intensity considerably.

We do work legs like leg press and hip abbductor etc but not heavy. What I'm doing heavy is my upper body with strength training. He says its all about proportion- I can't fight the genetics because when I lose down below I do up top as well so we are working on some serious upper body training and so far so good. I am starting to see where that is helping, my shoulders etc are getting stronger which is making me look a bit more proportion. The chest presses etc are lifting the girls a bit and I'm standing straighter. My husband even said something tonight about it.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    stairs = bad idea
    at least, for me. the more strength work I do on my legs the bulkier they get. can't seem to shrink them. will keep trying though :)

Same for me, mine just get bigger....HATE pants shopping, everything is bootcut/flare/otherwise tapered thru the thigh, and it rarely ever fits me!! :grumble:
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are not really bear shaped. Your pictures look beautiful. However, if you are looking for a longer leaner leg pilates or ballet moves would be the way to go.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are not really bear shaped. Your pictures look beautiful. However, if you are looking for a longer leaner leg pilates or ballet moves would be the way to go.

Really?? I've always thought I was pear shape because of my skinny waist and big hips. The one full body picture I have doesn't show my booty :) and trust me I've got one! My legs are skinny for the most part until my upper thighs, thats what I hate the most. Hmmm, maybe I'm not pear shaped then. Thats just what I've always thought. Thanks for the tips though.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I had that issue when I was younger and much smaller. When I did weight training my legs got bigger. It was suggested then that I try yoga and some new thing called pilates (it's been a while) to make the legs tone up long and lean rather than strong and stubby looking.