Crossfit

Options
I am new to crossfit and if there is anyone who has been doing it awhile add me! I would love the support and advice.

Replies

• jaybird1868
    jaybird1868 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been doing Crossfit for a couple of years and I love it. Anything you ever need to know, just ask!!!
  • martinez827
    martinez827 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Crossfit for a little over a year and love it as well. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can keep each other motivated!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I started in August. I'm addicted.
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a few months. I love it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I was interested in the concept but had a negative attitude towards it so I asked aroundn

I decided it would be a very bad fit for me as I am best being competitive against myself rather than others, form is extremely important to me, I've spent the last 7 months trying to recover from bilateral tendonitis and the risk of injury seems insanely high, my endurance is not my key strength and I am targeting that, I don't do well in group activities and prefer personal attention from my coach, and seriously rhabdo fear
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I was interested in the concept but had a negative attitude towards it so I asked aroundn

I decided it would be a very bad fit for me as I am best being competitive against myself rather than others, form is extremely important to me, I've spent the last 7 months trying to recover from bilateral tendonitis and the risk of injury seems insanely high, my endurance is not my key strength and I am targeting that, I don't do well in group activities and prefer personal attention from my coach, and seriously rhabdo fear

I'm pretty much the exact same way. But, my personal trainer and I do short 30 min. crossfit sessions when the box is empty so it's just he and I. I do like the fast pace but it's one-on-one so he can keep track of my form. Otherwise, I agree, I'm not competitive with others; just against myself and I wouldn't want to risk an injury.
  • jenferwake
    jenferwake Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I aslo do CrossFIT AND LOVE IT!! I only compete with myself, its being around others I feel is supportive I love how much more motivated you are around others helping you push yourself!! feel free to add me also if you would like
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hey all - just joined my local box and will be attending my first on-ramp in a couple of weeks. Feel free to add me although I'm am not SUPER consistent when it comes to interacting with my friends on here. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

I swear from all the comments I read I go to the only good box out there. Other than a few people that try to beat each other in friendly competition, competing ONLY against yourself is heavily emphasized, you are taught proper form before doing any move, and I have yet to see anyone stop coming to class due to injury in over a year.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for about 6 months now and love it. I'll never go back to doing the old split type workouts I used to do in the gym 5-6 days a week.

I agree with rybo. The biggest competition for me is myself. The competition against others in my box is friendly and serves to make it all fun and further push myself in ways I normally wouldn't (i.e. if I'm in the lead on a particular workout, and my "nemesis" (tongue in cheek) is close behind me trying to catch me (this happened just the other week) then I've got to keep pushing myself all the way through the end and can't let up and take it easy for that last minute of the workout. So she pushes me to work harder, and my being in front of her pushes her to work harder to catch me. It's all friendly and neither of us really care who finishes first, just that we both gave it our all. So that's my goal every day.... to put forth 100% effort each workout, and not be able to look back and find I could have done better. That's not always easy.... CrossFit can make a 6 minute workout seem like it stretches for an eternity, and each workout comes down to 1 maybe 2 times where you can keep pushing through the pain (i.e. you're exhausted) or you can stop and give-up. The former makes you feel great ALL day long. The later makes you yearn for the next workout so you can redeem yourself. At least that's how it is for me.

As for personal attention, I have a built in personal trainer at every training session I do, and he's always right on me if my form is not spot on, especially when you get into the Olympic lifts. I thought I had pretty good form before starting CrossFit. Turns out my form was crap. It's been 6 months and I'm still working to get the finer points of the Oly lifts down. For the record to, my injury rate under CrossFit is non-existent compared to when I was working out on my own.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Oh yea, anyone looking for CF friends, feel free to add me. Check out my Profile first. Full disclosure I won't give you likes and say great job if you eat like a bird and kill yourself in the weight room or box.
  • crossfitknitter
    crossfitknitter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a half-assed crossfitter - started in the summer last year and rolled my ankle so I had to give it a break, and now with winter I'm struggling to get back into it. But I love it, and the husband kind of hates me for coming home feeling that exercise high when I DO go!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'm a half-assed crossfitter - started in the summer last year and rolled my ankle so I had to give it a break, and now with winter I'm struggling to get back into it. But I love it, and the husband kind of hates me for coming home feeling that exercise high when I DO go!

Well that's not cool at all. Sorry that happens, but just keep going and be consistent. Surely he'll understand that if you're happy with yourself then you'll be happier all the way around.
  • bigrednewfie
    bigrednewfie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Been crossfitting for almost a year and absolutly love it. Was wondering how to enter it MFP. Whole class or just WOD time? Suggestions
    Keep at it everyone.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Been crossfitting for almost a year and absolutly love it. Was wondering how to enter it MFP. Whole class or just WOD time? Suggestions
    Keep at it everyone.

I know it's no 100% accurate. but I use a Polar A360 with optical HRM to track my burns. Prior to this I used a Polar M400 with HR chest strap. My burns with the A360 are about on part with the M400/H7 chest strap. Average for a 60 minute workout (I include everything from stretching to WOD coul down) is about 650 calories. Classes with longer and more cardio intense strength and WODS will approach 1,000 if not a bit higher. More strength oriented sessions will fall closed to 400. I figured this previously with 2 months of data from the M400, throwing out the top 2 and bottom 2 burns as outliers. I then enter a custom cardio exercise I created called CrossFit. Full disclosure I use TDEE (and always have) to set my daily calorie goal in MFP and don't use actual exercise burn, but I do compare the two.
  • crossfitknitter
    crossfitknitter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Well that's not cool at all. Sorry that happens, but just keep going and be consistent. Surely he'll understand that if you're happy with yourself then you'll be happier all the way around.

Eh, it's kind of our running joke. I once dragged him to a 5am workout class and he passed out 15 minutes in. Turns out he has low blood pressure, and apparently he doesn't get the good feelings I do - he just feels sick and like he needs to lay down. So now I come home all bubbly and he tells me "you suck" and we just laugh about it. :)
  • KaylaMurphy95
    KaylaMurphy95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with Crossfit..I have lost 48 pounds and completely transformed by body composition. For anyone who likes to compete against themselves, you will find it with Crossfit. While classes do encourage some sort of competition, I almost never find that to be a major factor. Those around you may encourage you, but there is never any unwanted competition. In other words, unless you are someone who wants to be competitive and does so in a fun way with friends, you will never ever find people questioning the weight you are using, how many rounds you got, etc. Super supportive community that only wants the best for you and coaches will push you to reach your max potential. Definitely give it a try- you won't regret it. Also, very scalable so don't be afraid if you feel like your skill level isn't there or you are injured.

I spent a lot of time researching before I started and let me tell you that the best thing I did was jump in. You get a lot of mixed reviews, but those in the community have such a deep love that all negativity is irrelevant.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I swear from all the comments I read I go to the only good box out there. Other than a few people that try to beat each other in friendly competition, competing ONLY against yourself is heavily emphasized, you are taught proper form before doing any move, and I have yet to see anyone stop coming to class due to injury in over a year.

This is exactly what our local box is like, too (small town - only one CF box). Our coaches are amazing and proper form is of the utmost important, as well as not pushing yourself beyond safety. I know that there are a lot of questionable boxes/coaches out there, but I know there are great ones, too. CrossFit isn't inherently bad or dangerous - it's the coaches and whether they are doing it right.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Not all gyms are the same. Goes for crossfit too! I dont compete with anyone but myself and that is the way it is supposed to be unless you are into competition. I suggest you try crossfit if its outside your comfort zone then try another crossfit gym in the area. I love crossfit