Low sodium healthy soup ideas

Options
It's a snow storm here and I still love meal prepping. However, I really do enjoy soup. Any good ideas? M

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fiesta Soup

1 container (1 1/2 cup (130g) ea.), Black Beans - Reduced Sodium
    1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.), Corn no salt added (Canned)
    8 large, Carrots, baby, raw
    1 cup chopped, Celery, raw
    1 container (1.25 cup), Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
    1 container (4 cup (240 ml/245g) ea.), Unsalted Beef or Chicken Cooking Stock
    1 cup dry, Elbow Macaroni
    2 cup, Unsalted Vegetable Broth
    2 tablespoon, Taco Seasoning
    cooked ground turkey meat or beef or diced up chicken

This freezes really well and it gets better the second day.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Turkey Vegetable Brown Rice Soup

1 lb(s), Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted
    1 container (1 1/2 cups ea.), Tomatoes Fire Roasted Diced
    1 tsp(s), Sea Salt
    1 tsp(s), Spices - Pepper, black
    1 tsp(s), Spices - Garlic powder
    1 tsp(s), (Walmart) Garlic Powder
    0.50 tsp(s), Parsley - Raw
    0.50 tsp(s), Spices - Thyme, dried
    6 cup (240ml), All Natural Low Sodium Chicken Stock (32floz/1qt/946ml Box)
    10 medium, Carrots - Baby, raw
    2 stalk large (11"-12" long), Celery - Raw
    0.25 cup, chopped, Onions - Raw
    1 tbsp, Grape Seed Oil
    0.50 cup, Spinach - Raw
    2 cup (45 g, dry) (3/4 cup cooked), Organic California Brown Basmati Rice
  • drew87d
    drew87d Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Look up a Roasted Vegetable Minestrone soup and adjust it to your liking. Its my new favourite! I personally leave out the beans.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    nearly anything you make from scratch will be lower sodium than store bought. use dried beans instead of canned. use fresh veggies. use spices instead of pre-made broth. I've been making this killer raman with fresh ginger and tons of veggies. but idk, unless you have a medical reason for lower sodium, i wouldn't stress it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    nearly anything you make from scratch will be lower sodium than store bought. use dried beans instead of canned. use fresh veggies. use spices instead of pre-made broth. I've been making this killer raman with fresh ginger and tons of veggies. but idk, unless you have a medical reason for lower sodium, i wouldn't stress it.

This. If you don't want to make your own broth, Trader Joe's and Pacific's low sodium is 70mg per serving.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have found making really low sodium soups a challenge. The high water content makes soup bland if you use no sodium. I make my own no sodium broth or buy no salt added stock. I add low sodium canned beans or use no salt added can tomatoes. You can add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice when serving that helps a lot. Same with vinegar. I little citrus juice or vinegar adds some brightness like salt would. Also I find that spinach, celery and cabbage seem to help the broth have more flavor. I agree with others spices and herbs help a lot too.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/09/asian-style-vegetable-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/08/creamy-tomato-soup-with-spinach-and.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/low-sodium-italian-sausage-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/southwest-chicken-and-vegetable-soup.html
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We make this Vegetarian Navy Bean soup that comes out really good. You just use water, vegetable, and beans, no packaged broth.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/09/slow-cooker-white-bean-soup/
  • meghanhackney502
    meghanhackney502 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try making a soup with an unsalted broth with veggies and spices to give it flavor. Progresso has a good unsalted chicken stock that I like to use for soups. It only has 95 mg of sodium.
  • dhadley1970
    dhadley1970 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Look up Slow Cooker Butternut Squash soup on gimmesomeoven.com. This is a great recipe that's made with mostly vegetables, veggie stock, coconut milk and spices. I love it so much, I've made it twice already and it's really healthy! Tip: cut onion in half (she calls for whole onion and it's too much); also use only a dash of cayenne because it makes it VERY spicy (you could always add more to taste). And use a dash of curry - it really complements this soup. Good luck!
  • Emerald_Wolf
    Emerald_Wolf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Use Swanson's unsalted chicken broth or unsalted beef broth in place of other broths and you'll reduce your sodium in soups by a lot.