Binge Eating at Night

Options
Does anyone else have an issue with binge eating at night? I feel like a drug addict and eat (and eat) when my husband and kids go to bed. I know it's how I have gained all my weight, I just can't stop. :(

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If it is a psychological compulsion then you may do best seeking help from a counselor.

If it is a habit then you can work to change it by making sure you don't enter that part of the day starving hungry...eat a good dinner...and/or build in a snack in the evening that satisfies you, but doesn't ruin your day.

I did struggle with true binge eating w/depression in my early 20s. The kind where you eat salty junk until you are sick of it, then switch to sweet, then salty...jaw gets tired of chewing binge eating. That was a counseling/anti-depressants kind of thing.

At this point, I just like to snack at night. I get hungry between dinner and bedtime so I build a snack in. Popcorn is my personal favorite.
  • txcraftr
    txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The only way I can stop eating at night is to not have anything tempting in the house. If all you have open is green beans it is not hard to resist lol.
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it as well. Even after successfully losing 200+ pounds (naturally). I do recommend working through the psychological issues with a professional if you cannot figure out strategies to conquer it. There are a number of great books out there too. I like "The Thin Commandments" by Stephen Gullo.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I save calories to eat then and plan exactly what I am going to have. Gained most of what I am losing now eating at night. While I have greatly reduced the amount or calories consumed then, I don't think it realistic for me to try not to eat at night. I like it too much. As long as I have the calories it really isn't an issue. It's when I don't have them that's the issue!
  • Siobhan256
    Siobhan256 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink instead - water or herbal tea but every time I want to grab a handful of almonds or something after dinner, I drink more. Sometimes I'll add my amino acid to the water because I love the taste and it keeps me from eating. A friend of mine brushes her teeth after dinner. It works for her and she doesn't eat/drink after brushing.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i plan my meals so i have a few hundred calories left at night just incase, probably not enough for a binge haha but its all about self control, plus if the food you crave isn't in the kitchen you cant have it :P
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do that too till I found that, at least for myself, a small "sweet" treat (even sugar free jello with a little whipped cream) is a good enough topper to get me to stop eating. I'll also have something to drink like a latte or a nice cup of cocoa... something to signal "end" to my tummy. I read this somewhere years ago and it seems to work otherwise i'll eat my day at night
  • sking0072
    sking0072 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What are you having for dinner? You may not be eating enough protein. Also, keep a bag of baby carrots in the fridge just for that occasion. It's convenient and often all you need his a handful to take the edge off.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this. On the advice of a friend I would make myself drink 16 ounces of water, eat 5 baby carrots and some celery when I was in binge mode. I would set the timer on the stove for 30 minutes. When the time went off I allowed myself to either continue the binge or stop. 95% of the time, the fiber and water killed the urge. After 3 weeks a habit formed and I wasn't eating at all after 7:00pm which is kind of my weakness point. I also incorporated some light exercise around that time. I hope this subsides for you!
  • jruder69
    jruder69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That was my biggest problem and I still have to really watch myself. I can't keep ice cream in the house as I find myself late night hitting it. I finally just decided to control my diet at the store and not have bad things. Also posting *everything* on MFP has helped me because I just hate to read the bad crap the next day!
  • nwppwn
    nwppwn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. Get to bed early if you can. When I stay up late I start snacking for energy to stay up later.
  • NORTHSEA76
    NORTHSEA76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry about how you struggle with this; it does make life unmanageable. Admitting your problem is positive, and since you ask, find a local 12-step in your area, or overeaters anonymous. Binge eating is linked to other life struggles and can be overcome with great success. You are not alone. I go to a 12 step to help me create better boundaries with others - called Celebrate Recovery. Go online if you wish to check this out. Like all things, it's up to you today. I hope the best for you!!
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this a lot, but I have found a few things that helped me. One big thing was cutting out sugar and other foods that would cause my cravings during the day, which helps me at night. For me, it seems the less sugar I eat, the less I want. Also, I started using an appetite suppressant without any caffeine in it after dinner. This is what has helped give me the extra edge to stay strong against the cravings. I use Liporidex PM, but I have seen a lot of other ones out there. Most will help you sleep too, which is great for not sitting up in bed thinking about food all night!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Until you can conquer the "demons" that are triggering it, I'd recommend what someone else suggested of removing anything tempting from the house. If you're left with limited low calorie options it will mitigate the issue. After a few weeks, your brain may be retrained to the point you can handle it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a coping strategy to handle your stress. Albeit not a very good one.

Is your calorie goal too aggressive? Are you truly hungry?

The suggestions to interrupt the ritual are good. So is keeping tempting foods out of the house until you've gained some control over your compulsions. A qualified counselor can also do wonders to help you unlock what's motivating this behavior.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    @gooz71 - how much weight do you want to lose and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

How many calories do you eat through dinner and what percentage of them are from protein?
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was struck by your comment that you wait until your husband and kids are asleep which to me sounds different than say openly snacking at night out of habit or boredom. I think you need to ask yourself if there is an emotional factor to it? Are you lonely, depressed, stressed, or something else? Then if you figure out what might be the root of it try to come up with alternative ways to deal with it that do not involve food.
    Maybe tonight and for the next several days take some time before you snack and write down what it is you are feeling at that time of day. what went on earlier in the day, what things are your grateful for, and so on. if you don't want to put it on paper for fear someone will read it there are free online journals like penzu.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and what is your calorie goal? Binge eating is sometimes the result of trying to stick to a too-steep deficit. It's better to have a small, manageable deficit that you can stick to and lose slowly but steadily with.
  • Kay2016Sexy
    Kay2016Sexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I understand completely being a Nurse working 3 shift, it's crazy hard to stay on track especially when the only foods close by are mainly snack machines! I know that's how I gained most of my weight too. It is hard not to snack or eat at night. But since I've joined the gym, and go there as soon as I get off work, and on my day's off I find that I eat more of the day and drink lots of water and that usually helps me to stay full during the nights, on and off work. But IDK how to help you to stop??? But you could try adding more food during the day if it's not over your calorie goal??? And if your exercising then your burning those calories your putting into your body off, therefore will make you feel less full too. . . .??? Wish I had more helpful advice.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of odd cravings about two hours after dinner. I associate them with a sugar addiction. In some cases, if I don't have anything sweet to eat, I end up eating a lot of other things that don't satisfy me. I found that drinking some tea (unsweetened) satisfies me enough to not keep opening the cupboards.