Cottage Cheese...

Options
My whole life this stuff just grosses me out. HOWEVER, I was determined to get over it. Don't ask. Anyway. So many people tell me it's good to fill up on and snack etc. I decided to buy the breakstones cottage cheese doubles raspberry. I actually thought I'd be gagging.

In all honesty.. I loved it. I felt like I was eating rice pudding. HOOOOO RAY I don't think plain CC will work but I can do the 100 cal CC doubles. Going to buy more.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I like to mix in protein powder or cinnamon/splenda/vanilla flavoring or pb2.

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like the brand Lucerne, 1%, no salt added. I eat it daily.
  • Lo0BLu
    Lo0BLu Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i love cottage cheese but i bought some from Sainsbury's (UK superstore) and it is a disgusting, gloopy, creamy, goo. Thank god you didn't buy that one. BLEURGH
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was the same way! Growing up I hated the stuff but after looking at the macros, I decided to give it a try again. I can't say I love it yet, but I can tolerate the one with chives. I can't do the sweet ones, but the savory are good and good for you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cottage cheese is the only dairy product for which I find no degradation in flavor when it's fat-free. Now that I'm working to reduce saturated fats, I'm using more fat-free cottage cheese.

Oh, for some strange reason, I don't like the brands of organic cottage cheese I've tried, which I find too sour or something. I use Cabot.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I love Breakstone. It's a little more expensive than I would like, but my HEB carries a tasty new brand called Bison. It costs the same as store brand. To be honest, as long as it's not Daisy, I'm perfectly content.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love it, but to me it's a savory food, and mixing it with sweet things is unappealing to me. (And I love it plain.)

That said, happy for you that you found something that works for you!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I like the brand Lucerne, 1%, no salt added. I eat it daily.

That's the one I buy too. I'm not sure I'd be eating as much of it if I had to buy the higher sodium versions. It's a good price too! :)
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ick. I've tried to like it. Honestly. I just can't. No. Nope. The only way I'll eat it is in Lasagna. :)
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love it. For lunch I'll toast an English muffin, top it with tomato and onion and then put cottage cheese over it. Filling, delicious and easy on the calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love it, but to me it's a savory food, and mixing it with sweet things is unappealing to me. (And I love it plain.)

That said, happy for you that you found something that works for you!

Same here, I eat it every morning for breakfast, mixed with flavoured tuna, but the idea of mixing it with sweet weirds me out. Which is kind of silly, because I love cheesecake...
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have ate cottage cheese my whole life! But I will only eat Breakstone brand and it has to be plain... No fruit for me!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for trying something new :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Actually gagged while reading this post. Good job for getting over that, OP!
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Actually gagged while reading this post. Good job for getting over that, OP!

Ha ha. Trust me I get it. Lol
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    In all honesty.. I loved it. I felt like I was eating rice pudding. HOOOOO RAY

But..but...what if I hate rice pudding too??

Good for you for learning to eat something you previously gagged on. Me, I have to leave the room when my husband eats cottage cheese. (However, I will put it into lasagna. No probs there.)

• motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    By itself i find it Unappealing and way too salty
    Will tolerate it with lasagne
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I mix one cup of fat free cottage cheese with one can of tuna. almost everyday for lunch. 280 calories and 58 grams of protein for about $2.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »
    I mix one cup of fat free cottage cheese with one can of tuna. almost everyday for lunch. 280 calories and 58 grams of protein for about $2.
    I do the can of tuna with CC but also pasta sauce. When heated its a great cheesy mess on top of spaghetti squash.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »

This will be tomorrow's lunch - thanks!