Black Bean Brownies

Options
Has anyone ever tried black bean brownies? If so how do you like them?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I haven't made them in quite a while, but I liked them.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Yes. They are ok but they are not a substitute for real brownies. They definitely taste like black bean brownies.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    They tasted like sadness and wasted time. And black beans.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My kids will eat these. Just don't put too many beans. You must use a food processor for beans or the kids will notice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    This is the most recent recipe I tried: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

They tasted fine but were as high in calorie as regular brownies, and were not quite as good. They are a great option if you want to make wheat-free brownies.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    NO :noway:
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

Haha that is exactly what I would imagine black bean brownies to taste like
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That's just sad. Black beans are my favorite beans. :disappointed:

I've wanted to make some lower carb desserts. I love baking and prefer the real thing, but every other person in this house is either prediabetic or type 2 and don't really keep track of their intake and would complain if I made "bad foods".

• clairebeth8
    clairebeth8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/02/amazing-flour-less-brownies.html

I made these and brought them in to work. No one could tell any difference from normal brownies. Honestly, people came back for seconds! And they couldn't believe that they had black beans!

My only suggestion is don't taste the batter. I unfortunately took a taste, and the batter DEFINITELY tastes like black beans. But I couldn't taste them at all once they were baked.
  • hlcavalieri
    hlcavalieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options

BAHAHAHA. fantastic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I tried them but didn't care for them. They weren't horrible, but they weren't good. They had a weird consistency but they were chocolate, so not all bad.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I don't care for them. And I really do NOT recommend refried bean brownies. (Yes. Ask me how I know.) I was all over the "healthy brownies" thing a long while ago. Didn't do a thing to help me lose weight. It's so nice to bake real brownies again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    That's just sad. Black beans are my favorite beans. :disappointed:

I've wanted to make some lower carb desserts. I love baking and prefer the real thing, but every other person in this house is either prediabetic or type 2 and don't really keep track of their intake and would complain if I made "bad foods".

I pureed them quite well, a tip I picked up from another black bean brownie thread, and they didn't taste beany to me. However, beans + sugar + honey does not equal a low carb food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I don't care for them. And I really do NOT recommend refried bean brownies. (Yes. Ask me how I know.) I was all over the "healthy brownies" thing a long while ago. Didn't do a thing to help me lose weight. It's so nice to bake real brownies again.

Yeah, black bean brownies usually aren't lower in calories, though they will likely be lower in net carbs.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love black bean brownies. These are my favourite recipes. They're the same, one just has peppermint in them. I've made them with all kinds of beans, not just black beans, and they're always good. I've also used egg whites instead of the flax egg.

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/
    http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-peppermint-black-bean-brownies/
  • beckyhauser
    beckyhauser Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I just made these from Skinnytaste. I thought they were good but tasted more cake like then brownie like. Very chocolate heavy. 144 calories for 1 square (16 servings from a 9x9 pan)
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Love that you at least tried a new thing...lol thanks for you info
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Best answer. Ever.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/02/amazing-flour-less-brownies.html

I made these and brought them in to work. No one could tell any difference from normal brownies. Honestly, people came back for seconds! And they couldn't believe that they had black beans!

My only suggestion is don't taste the batter. I unfortunately took a taste, and the batter DEFINITELY tastes like black beans. But I couldn't taste them at all once they were baked.

I printed out this recipe about a month ago and have been debating about trying it. I've even gone so far as to buy the black beans. :grin: