Choices during a night out?

Options
MegRuthie
MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
I'm 22. I don't go out to bars or clubs too often. However, when I do, its a long night. It is nearly impossible with a group of 20-somethings to turn down free drinks or to say "I'll just have one tonight..."

Since these nights are few and far between, should I just stick with what I enjoy and work my butt off later? Or is there a drink I could be ordering that is a better choice when I'm splurging like that? Since I'm way past the drink-until-you-pass-out kind of night, I've gotten to where I'll ask for water every other time someone buys another round. Is this enough or am I sabotaging my progress?

Replies

• AlyssaDMurphy
    Options
    The main thing is to stay away from drinks that use syrups, fruit juices or regular calorie soda. That really limits the stuff you drink though.(Especially if you like fruity stuff like me). I would say just ask the bartender. Chances are he/she might have some good idea for you, or research drinks before you go out to find out what drinks would be the best choice.
  • zen_cln
    zen_cln Posts: 10
    Options
    This doesn't really help with the fact of being "out" and all but I have found that vendors are making low fat mixes to make daiquiris or margaritas and such. (I may be wrong but I doubt most bars and other places carry sugar free versions)
  • peggy1209
    peggy1209 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    most bars have skinny margaritas

everything in moderation . . . .
  • peggy1209
    peggy1209 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    most bars have skinny margaritas

everything in moderation . . . .
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i try to still have as much fun as possible while on my weight loss journey, so i usually drink a rum and diet bc then you only are getting about 100 cals from the alcohol.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Have you ever read Eat This, Not That. ?
    I started and it has been incredibly helpful! They have so many tips to teach you what to pick when you're out to eat. It's a REALLY helpful blog/twitter. I know... the books are probably good too, but the twitter is fantastic!!

http://twitter.com/#!/EatThisNotThat
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    :drinker: To keep your manhood intact I don't recommend the skinny margaritas. Have light beers or something hard on the rocks or straight up. Whiskey on the rocks is good on calories and you'll be the bad a** of the group for not just drinking Bud Light. :drinker: EDIT! Sorry, I thought the poster was the male in the profile picture. Cheers either way.
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    EDIT! Sorry, I thought the poster was the male in the profile picture. Cheers either way.

Haha, sorry! I realized when I signed up that I literally don't have any recent photos of just me. But I'll give my man your advice! lol
  • Tullly
    Tullly Posts: 3
    Options
    Vodka lime and soda is always and easy drink to get while out. When I'm just at home I realllly like Vodka, lime, lemon, light ginger beer and crushed mint. There lighter in calories but like everything, moderation.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm all about having a "treat night." I hardly ever go out either but I did last weekend. Got about 7 drinks that were sugary and then 3 shots. I didn't even bother logging the calories or even thinking about it. If it's not a frequent thing that you drink a lot then I wouldn't worry about it, just be super good with calories and exercise the next few days and its fine.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good night out - probably more than most people....lol..I always drink vodka, soda water with a slice of lime....they are about 70 calories a drink and the best thing is I never get a hangover! lol.....
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    Alternating alcoholic beverages with water is an excellent idea; I admit I have some trouble with that one though. Skinny margaritas are great. Also I like flavored vodkas and diet coke. They are less than 70 calories per ounce, and there are so many to choose from. Cheers! :drinker:
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this question, I'm 22 as well! I go out once or twice a month. For both of those times I just didn't put the calories in and tried not to worry about it as much. I need to work on making it once every three months instead!

Good luck to everyone :]
  • mrudzinski
    mrudzinski Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I found this website, and I love it if you're drinking to get drunk.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

But since you're just drinking socially, you really can't go wrong with diet coke and vodka. or rum and diet coke.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Right! The clearer the liquid, the less of a hangover you're going to get. Not to mention, the calories. There are not many in clear alcohols. Pairing vodka with lime, grapefruit, mint..what have you is a great sipping drink to have while out with friends.
    Most of the time I just say "I'm taking it easy tonight," and no one offers more drinks to me because, well, they know I'm just not the drink-till-I'm-gone kind of person that night. Which is no biggie, it's all about enjoying the time with friends anyways! :)
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    cherry or strawberry vodka with water. take crystal lite packets with you to add... good and very low cal!