Night shift

Options
What diet do you follow when your on night shift as being on nights get sugar carb crap food craving especially first thing in the morning when coming off nights first few days trying to get back to normal.......

Replies

• TheKwisatzHaderach
    Options
    I usually eat a chicken thigh, salad and an apple. If my cravings are really bad I have an emergency protein bar and a bag of nuts in my drawer. I space my dinner and apple far enough apart so I am not starving. Sometimes if I know there is a chance I will have to stay I will bring a protein shake with me.
  • 890emma
    890emma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I swim beforehand so have yoghurt & fruit shake after but by 12 mn l am ravenous usually have packet cold meat cuppa soup and oatcakes on hand difficult as sometimes dont get a break so have to grab and run wary about protien shakes etc as can just turn into fat as l am chunky would not want to gain any weight???
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have dinner with my family before I go to work, while at work I take a variety of snacks, cut fruit and veggies, boiled eggs, nuts, cheese, yoghurt, cold meat and maybe a mini chocolate etc. I like to snack frequently on nights (it's a combination of needing energy pick me ups and boredom if it's a quiet night). About 5 at work I have porridge with fruit for breakfast

When I do nights it 9pm-7.30 am. I don't eat after breakfast at 5am until I wake up, I might have fruit or a smoothie before dinner if I get up early
  • Himurahotaru
    Himurahotaru Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend works nights and is a type 1 diabetic. We're always struggling with ideas for food. Especially since he does not have access to any way to warm up food.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I bring my salad and snack and plan to eat it at 2am mid shift but by that time my apetite is obsolete so I barely eat much. I stay away from break room which likely has binge worthy sweets.
  • BrideSept2017
    BrideSept2017 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work 10pm-7am, and I usually eat whatever my family has for dinner around 6pm right after I get up, then I pack a lunch and eat it around midnight. I pack a few snacks and eat them around 3 am if I'm hungry. Then I eat my dinner around 8am after I get home. I walk on the treadmill, then go to bed around 10 am. This was difficult to get used to at first, but now it feels totally natural. I usually eat HealthyChoice Steamers, or other convenient diet meals, and bring fruit or cereal to snack. Best of luck!
  • canadianmom1975
    canadianmom1975 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find it hard on nights because iam laxy and dont want to prep my meals...iam getting better...i work 12 hour shifts 530 to 530 days and switch to nights....i rat supper with the family at 4...have a snack at 10pm...lunch at 1am and i try to have snack at 4am....go home at 530 and go to bed wake up at noon to have breakfast and start all over...i try to eat clean so no processed foods....iam doing alot better...i used to eat a bag of chips a shift...not anymore
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs, and protein shakes don't "turn to fat." What will turn to fat is any and all calories you consume over what you burn. For weight loss, all you need to do is eat fewer calories than you burn. Everything else is personal preference.