What happened to the January Rush

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Mine was a bit more crowded than usual for a week day at 10am today.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    I have serious anxiety about being out around people, so we go to PlanetFitness late at night. We leave home between 8:30 and 9 and do our workout while there are very few people there. So far we'd not seen much of a jump. Last night, though, nearly every single treadmill (and they have two very long rows of them) were FULL when we got there at 8:50. We did the 30-minute circuit once and there were a couple of people that came in, which was unusual. Thankfully the treadmills had cleared some by the time we were ready for our walk, but for the first time ever people got onto the treadmills directly next to him and next to me while we were walking. When I saw how many people were in there I nearly turned around and went back to the car. I think tonight we're going to try going an hour later and see how it is. I can't handle crowded.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    I'm at my gym by 5:30 in the morning, and it seems like the cardio machines are definitely more full, but same amount of people in the freeweight area. However, the locker room has become a nightmare. I've been counting down until March, as terrible as that sounds!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    My private gym sold to a large commercial gym a couple months ago, and the new owners brought in a bunch of new machines and, to fit in with the rest of their gyms, cut out all the family friendly activities, like Mommy & Baby Swim Class, and Family KickBoxing, and Dad & Daughter Workout Night. Instead of the usual January madness, the place is a ghost town, and I'm guessing all the families who used to pay full memberships because it was family friendly just didn't renew this year.
  • They're all here on MFP, in full force - asking about bulletproof coffee, garcinia, green tea, and how many pounds they can lose in the next 10 days. Being in the gym takes too much work.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    My gym is at home but I have seen my tenants down there more than they have been the past several months. Of course, it could be because they can't go running now since winter finally hit us and they can use my home gym for free.
  • Moriarek
    Moriarek Posts: 14 Member
    I had about 8 weeks break from my gym - I hurt my knee (again) - and my doctor told me to give it a rest until New Years, so when I got back I was expecting usual January Rush, but suprisingly it was only my old gym acquaintances :) . It seems to be a global trend (I'm from Cracow, Poland), but no complains from me :)
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    When I go around lunch time there really isn't anyone there but in the evening after work its packed! hard to find an open treadmill.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I use a private gym at work and haven't seen any new people, honestly.

But the MFP January rush is in full swing.

thats the truth

still a lot of new people at mine, but its PF so to be expected. ill be glad when they go away and subsidize my membership LOL
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Everybody given up giving up stuff?

My gym is normal :open_mouth:

Thanks, Obama...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Everybody given up giving up stuff?

My gym is normal :open_mouth:

Thanks, Obama...

Huh?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    the gyms i drive past still look the same, the gym i'll be joining looks relatively unbusy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Gym was packed on the 4th and 5th. Then I guess the resolutioners were too sore to return the rest of the week. Weirdly enough, we had a lot of sign ups, but for some reason the gym isn't that much busier, with the exception of group classes which makes sense since females are the majority of the class attendees and we signed up more women than men this year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    The 11am crowd is huge, but not nearly so much at 5am. Not sure why...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    They're all here on MFP, in full force - asking about bulletproof coffee, garcinia, green tea, and how many pounds they can lose in the next 10 days. Being in the gym takes too much work.

lol. True.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    They're all here on MFP, in full force - asking about bulletproof coffee, garcinia, green tea, and how many pounds they can lose in the next 10 days. Being in the gym takes too much work.

:p:D:D:D
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    It's been an absolute nightmare at my gym these last couple of weeks. Last night I was lucky enough to be the last person allowed in before they started doing "one out, one in".

It's driving me insane. The place has been full of people who don't have a clue what they're doing but are trying to look like they do. One guy the other day was doing bicep curls with a couple of dumbells whilst standing right in front of the chest press so nobody could use it. Then there are all these weedy young boys in their late teens, early twenties hanging around in the free weights section who never actually appear to be doing anything besides getting in the way and hoarding (but never actually using) all the weights I want to use. Grr!

Sorry for the rant lol
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    I used to attend a gym that always got hit hard in January. Things were back to normal by the second or third week of January.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Here, take some people from my gym...
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Resolutioners... They just don't make 'em like they used to...