Mortons Neuroma

Options
This has got me really depressed. I've been diagnosed with a Mortons Neuroma on my right foot. What kind of exercises can I do? aerobic and anerobic, like weights, etc? I don't ever want to stop exercising. I can't run anymore and walking hurts sometimes. I bought a Fitbit and started walking more. I think its a combination due to walking more, my WEIGHT, high & tight shoes. Im very sad about this.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    your doctor should be able to recommend a PT or something along those lines to help you figure out how to stay active.
    offhand, with no medical knowledge, swimming, or spinning?
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a mild case of Morton's Neuroma in both feet. From what I've read, it's hereditary. My sister and mother also have it (Thanks, Mom!); my mother had operations on both feet and had no more pain, while my sister had to see a podiatrist for custom made shoe inserts.

I use inserts in my shoes to elevate my heels and a pad specifically for Morton's that relieves the pain quite well. I lift weights, do cardio, and walk with very little discomfort. I make sure that I only wear shoes (mostly cross trainers/running shoes) with a wide toe box. If you have major pain, check with your podiatrist for custom made inserts. They're pricey, but my sister swears by them. My problem is relieved with drugstore type inserts and pads since I have the least problem with it in my family.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I just copied and pasted what I wrote on the other thread
    I also only have one pair of men's boots that I've had for years, thongs or bare feet I can't wear anything else on my foot. I weightlift in bare feet also but I use my home gym so I can do that I have to constantly adjust my foot position to stop the click of the nerve! Only cardio I do is plyometrics for 5 mins and it hurts a lot but I just tell myself it's only 5min just get in get it done and then relief......I can't wait to get the nerve removed from my foot I miss walking and running actually I miss just being able to walk without thinking about how I'm going to put my foot down on every step!
    My operation is getting close I'm so excited!!!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes it is depressing and I thought I was the only one in the world with the problem lol I put up a thread ages ago and no one even knew what it was :neutral:
  • dlucio1
    dlucio1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    no one knows what it is. @ summerkissed, oh please let me know how u do after surgery. I have a nurse friend that worked in Podiatry for many yrs and she said "just get surgery done, save ur time and save ur money". I want to run. I want to walk. Im so depressed. I wear inserts, use pads, use toe separators, icing, heat, massage, nsaids, wide toe shoes, etc. still hurts. I didnt want another injection, so the doctor had me wear a boot for 2 wks. I removed the boot, here at work day 1 with no boot, my foot hurts again. It didnt do nuthing. I just bought a dvd set from Beachbody called PiYo. Its a combination of yoga & pilates that gets u sweating and it shape with low impact. I will do this and start weight training. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Thanks all for your advice. :(
  • tinyredbox
    tinyredbox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with this last summer. I've been seeing a physiotherapist as the Dr told me my only options were "ugly shoes", pain meds, injections and eventually surgery. The physiotherapist has given me exercises to help correct/strengthen the ligaments in my feet. Some days it would hurt just to stand. Acupuncture and ultrasound help with the pain as well. I was already wearing orthotics for arch support as I have other joint issues as well, but ccomended one with metatarsal support and to wear it anytime I am weight bearing, So far I've been able to avoid medication and I focus on core work, upper body and strength training. I miss my walking and the elliptical.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have it in both feet along with arthritis in both big toe joints. Got nothing from the rheumatologist other than take tylenol as needed, wear ugly shoes and suck it up. I didn't even know that you could get surgery for it. I find going barefoot the least painful which is a bit of a problem in Canadian winters lol. I am waiting for a bone fusion in my left foot for relief of arthritis pain (7 months wait for appointment with ortho doc, then 12 month wait for surgery slot - Canadian medical system!). I have finally given up on running, but I am very stubborn and still lift weights, rowing machines, bikes, stairmaster, etc. My biggest thing is keeping my weight under control, even 5lbs makes a difference.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have arch problems that lead to a bunion and turf toe. I also have plantar fasciitis. I had to stop using the treadmill when it all flared up 3 months ago. It used to hurt to walk. Now it's just a little sore. I bought stationary up right bike for cardio and am doing Body Beast lifting DVDs. I'd just finished T25 when the one foot got so painful. I think it was exacerbated by lunges and burpees as my big toe hurts when I hyperextended it. My podiatrist has me wearing custom orthotics and Fleetfeet (almost the same price).
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I have this in one of my feet and after a Cortisone shot (2 years ago), have had very little issue out of it running, lifting, etc... The main thing I run into is, if I go barefoot on hard surfaces, I tend to "feel" it more, but as long as I wear socks or proper cushion in my shoes, I suffer no ill effects and like mentioned, does not prohibit me from any exercise thus far.