Building muscle and losing weight

Options
Hi guys

I was wondering how much protein should i get if i am working out to build muscle but have restricted calories to lose weight?

Thank you all

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    If you're new to lifting, a returning athlete or obese, building muscle while losing weight is possible. However any significant muscle being built while trying to lose weight for the average person won't be that significant. The working out will help retain what current muscle you have and build up strength, but as mentioned, building muscle means adding mass and adding mass usually requires a surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You should really just pick one: build muscle, or try to retain muscle and lose weight.
  • surfingmourir
    surfingmourir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1.4g of protein per kg body weight per day. Muscle will burn more calories, but doing both weight loss and muscle building simultaneously will be a slow progress. I'd recommend not looking at your weight as much as inches changing on your body as a success. Btw, I am doing the same thing. Also, there is a forum "eat more to weigh less" on here that is a lot of lifters, as well as the new rules for women lifting ( I think they use acronym nr4wl) that you may want to read through and see if this is the method to reach your goals. Good luck!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Determine your LEAN BODY MASS, which s your total weight minus your fat weight. Once you have your LBM (muscle weight) in pounds, multiply by .8 to get your Protein grams per day. This would be the best place to start.
  • surfingmourir
    surfingmourir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Btw- above is just my opinion based on research and personal experience. Hopefully helpful, but I am not a sport nutritionalist.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    What "surfingmourir" said, although I heard (from sports nutritionists, btw) 1.6g/kg of body weight, consumed throughout your day. Especially important is first thing in the morning, right before bed, and within an hour after lifting. Also, you need to keep your calorie deficit to no more than 500/day.