Healthy Eating on a Budget

Options
So, people say that fast food is cheaper than eating healthy. I disagree (in the big picture) but also find that a lot of the meals call for food that can quickly add up at the grocery store. Beef and veggies/fruit skyrocketing right now.
What sort of things do you do to keep your budget in check when you grocery shop?
Sister recommended tofu, has any meat-eater opted that route?

Replies

• radmork
    radmork Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat quorn mince on occasion. Which is still quite nice. Lean turkey mince in my local supermarket is usually one of the cheapest lean meat options. I found smoked salmon half price which was going out of date, you can freeze it so was a bargain! And very high protein. Best to go supermarkets late at night
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I go to the market and see whats on sale and then build the meals around that, not the other way around. Cauliflower is $7 CDN in my city right now - but broccoli is cheaper, and sweet potatoes. Couldnt even find zucchini last time I was there. Also, frozen fruit and veg can be a little cheaper, and it is often better than the fresh, as it was flash frozen closer to the source. We eat vegetarian once or twice a week now to cut meat costs. Cant do the tofu stuff - for some women, its not a good option as it can negatively affect hormonal function as do other soy based products.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Could you eat beans? For veggies I buy frozen.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Tofu is never my choice although I do like it in miso soup. Tuna is my inexpensive go-to. I buy the pouches which last for a long time so I am not losing money to spoilage. I also buy meat in bulk when it goes on sale then precook it and portion out for freezing. I have a deep freeze so I have the room. For instance, I got 90% hamburger for $1.99 a pound. I bought 15 pounds. I cooked 5 pounds with mexican seasoning and divided that up for tacos (loaded with veggies), soups and salads later. I cooked another 5 pounds with italian seasoning for pasta (and spaghetti squash - yum!) sauces. The last 5 pounds I made into burger patties. I make all my own seasoning blends so they are lower sodium and I can make it as spicy as I like. Since the hamburger is already cooked, it's quick to microwave or heat up on the stove to add to any dish I need some extra protein. I do the same with chicken and pork. Pork especially can be great sales. I sometimes get pork loin as low as $1.69 pound. I use a good knife and make boneless chops, stir-fry strips and keep some in roast size chunks for set it and forget it night. Again, freeze it and use it when I need it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, peanut butter, cabbage, potatoes, eggs, frozen and canned fruits and veggies.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Awesome pro tips here. We tend to do the bulk costco purchases and then portion it out which really helps. Maybe, we will gear a little more to the frozen fruit/veggies. I use the fruit in my smoothies but don't often buy the veggies.
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Tara, interesting question. Im thinking of starting a blog on this subject.
    I live in the Netherlands and my cateringcompany went bankrupt, so I do actually go to get food from a special government place (aka foodstamps). I am very grateful for this food, since it saves me loads of money and Im even more grateful to be able to be extremely creative in the kitchen.
    I find the more you make from scratch, the cheaper your meals!

To start of, a no coster which is also perfect for all the leftover as toppings.
    c179toz0n9b6.jpg

!! Pizza!! home made of course.
    If you re single, working, have kids, this is for sure my best diet keep on going strong!! The secret: home made

Dough: make a huge batch and stick a part for next meal in the freezer!!
    ingredients: 1 bag of flour, little bit of oil, oregano, pinch of salt, some milk (I use powder, 1tbspoon), little sugar (1tsp) 1 little envelope of yeast
    Start adding lukewarm water, preferably on top of yeast and start moving your hands and arms. GREAT WORKOUT
    The tric: add water if dry or more flour if too moist.
    Dough is ready when it doesnt stick to your hands no more.
    Put a towel over your dough and leave it alone.

Sauce, of course also homemade!! Make in big quantities and store in fritz and freezer
    Fry in little oil a bit of fresh garlic
    Add 1 can of chopped tomatoes, tomatoepaste and hot water, stir.
    Add salt&pepper
    If you have children that dont like fresh food:
    this is the moment to add diced onions and bellpeppers
    It s also a great way of giving your sauce more volume with vitamines

Toppings:
    Anything you like, but be aware:
    use as many fresh vegetables as you can and not too many canned stuff
    be careful with ham, we like smoked ham, its not as fat
    also use fresh pine apple
    be careful with too much greasy cheese, that counts for calories.

For one pizza, put some flour on kitchentop and make a small ball from a piece of dough.
    You can use an empty wine bottle -DONT YOU DARE TO EMPTY IT YOURSELF!
    to roll the dough.
    Place on a stoverack with a piece of baking paper (the brown stuff, no foil!!)
    Put a big spoonful of sauce, not too thick, cause your dough will stay wet.
    Toppings and in your oven.
    I preheat on 240C and it needs only 10 minutes!!

Also stick a pizza with just sauce in the oven and put out of the oven fresh salmon, ruccola and
    capers on top.

Yammie, enjoy!!
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually go into shopping with an idea of what I have, what I need and see whats on sale to determine which direction we go in. Sometimes we have lots of meat (there was a sale this week) sometimes not so much.. I tend to get frozen veggies on sale, especially the mixes and green beans. We buy meat on sale and portion. Also, I mix in a lot of beans to "beef" up the meat portions when I make things like pulled pork, tacos, quesadillas, etc. For chicken, I usually roast a whole chicken, then we eat it once, divide leftovers for other meals, boil the bones for soup. I can usually get four meals out of a whole chicken (For two people).
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I go grocery shopping once per week. I would always buy 4-5 different veggies for sides. I never ended up using all of them and they went in the trash. Budget wise, you can save money by only purchasing fresh foods you're POSITIVE you'll consume before they go bad, or go shopping multiple times a week. Also, buying frozen or canned (I know some of you won't like the canned suggestion) is a great alternative.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It really depends. If you want pre-packaged low calorie meals usually they are more expensive, but just straight up regular fruits / veggies / meats come out to less than a fast food value meal.
  • eliza8897
    eliza8897 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot on sale and with a price point in mind when I shop which is generally 1x a week. I buy frozen Birdseye steamers, eggs, low fat Greek yogurt-only ones with no artificial sweeteners, chickenpb, and canned boneless salmon. I eat popcorn as a snack and almonds. I'd have to say I spend 35 a week on myself and I drink only water from my Brita. I'm very frugal. Also, I eat before work. I don't eat out much unless it's a takeout salad from Wendy's or Chik-fil-a because of cost and poor food choices in restaurants. Good luck!
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "Good and Cheap," by Leann Brown...great cookbook, downloadable as a PDF. Not specifically low calorie, but the whole concept is brilliant, and you could do substitutions as necessary. Use the google...sorry don't know how to hyperlink here.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I didn't change what I eat, I changed where I shop.

Aldi is king. Seriously has cut my grocery bill in half (just like they advertise!)
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly. I shop sales and different stores. I eat a lot of chicken, mostly because I can poach a tray and then quickly prepare it in different ways. It's my quick fix food item and for $7 a week I get a lot of protein. Too busy to get creative more than a couple of times a week.

I also cook sometimes for my husband who has a different diet than I do, as I eat gluten free and he refuses most times. That and gluten free food is what inflates my grocery bills the most.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I spend a little time looking at what's on sale in the various supermarket flyers and plan accordingly. I buy extra meat when it's on sale and freeze it. I buy fruits and veggies at a farmer's market in-season and a farmer's outlet off-season.

I know that Asian staples are way cheaper at Asian stores, and stock up at the big one when I'm up that way.

I don't drive all over the county to save 25 cents here and there, but plan ahead and do this logically.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Check out Jack Monroe - a writer who cooks wholesome food on a budget
    I think the website is now cooking on a bootstrap but well worth a Google.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com

I learned about this site from MFP. Buy in bulk, buy on sale, and find the recipes afterwards. Beans and lentils, especially from dry, are inexpensive. Learn to make a few basic sauces like spaghetti sauce, salad dressings, and a white sauce. Have fun!
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Look up on YouTube - Brothers Green Eats - and find his series on eating for $3 a day. He bought $21 of groceries for the week, not only to eat, but to eat well and fun. Very cool ideas as inspiration... But also just some fun cooking vids from these guys. Caution though, it could make you hungry
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It's also good to check the butcher block for fresh meat prices. For example, the prepackaged chicken breast in my area costs $3-$6 or more per pound. At the butcher block, I get boneless, skinless, chicken breast for $1.69 per pound. They don't even advertise this special.

I also shop the seasonal fruit and veggies, weekly sales, and buy bulk beans, nuts, etc.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I buy a whole chicken, and soup packs. Normally all costing under £5. And with that I will make a lot of lentil soup and chicken and rice soup. Then with the meat from the chicken, i can normally make 3 meals combined with beans and vegetables I already have in my pantry or freezer. Last night I had the best chicken casserole EVER and I had it with mashed sweet potatoes. It was so delishous i cant wait to make it again!