Finally sharing (our) success!

Options
A bit over a year ago, my husband and I were in the ER. He was feeling 'weird' and his BP was 195/90. They were quickly able to get it down to normal, be he decided that day to make changes. He was quite overweight - we both were. He had been all his life, me only since having a child years before. I was also starting to get signs of being diabetic, my own BP wasn't great, I was having breathing problems, tired all the time, etc. Seeing him trying to struggle through, I joined him in support. We both already had MFP accounts from several false-starts ago, so started logging.

It was a struggle at first. We tried to cut out foods entirely, tried to way under-eat, etc. Eventually we found a balance and started actually enjoying it. The pounds practically *melted* off even though we still enjoyed cookies, cake, bacon, everything - in moderation!

I've been maintaining for several months now and my husband is still trying to lose that last stubborn 10 (but not gaining) and has his BP mostly under control (he is genetically predisposed to high BP but it's usually good now!), so I feel I should share to hopefully inspire - both individuals and couples!

6 years ago (we actually got bigger after this):

wcnrvhsi9vo7.jpg

At a holiday party last month:

ca162kh8ejp1.jpg

Just me about 4 years ago (and yes -- yet bigger after that):

3ye2xgsyc34q.jpg

And lastly, some moths ago when I decided to stop losing. 10 years ago I saw some people jumping around on springed stilts, but they were too expensive... and I was too heavy. Told myself when I lost weight, these would be my reward. I decided to stop losing cause 5 more lbs down and I'd have to move to the children's class springs which can't bounce as high. I highly recommend 'bocking' as it's called! Great (dangerous) fun and a good workout to boot! Plus since I don't want to lose more, I have to eat a bit more when I bock a lot... accidental recomposition!

bgkrrs0qqqwt.jpg

My weight counter is not accurate as I was just that embarrassed about my weight. I will say I've actually lost more than 100 lbs. Husband the same!

I should also point out I'm VERY lazy so didn't add much of the moving part... other than I now walk/run/bike/bock anywhere less than a mile away if weather permits. I don't go out of my way to exercise and still lost, is my point! Just VERY diligent about tracking (by weighing everything going in my stomach). So even if you've been big your whole life, even if you are 'addicted' to sugar, even if you hate to move... you CAN still lose and get healthy!

The only important things are to log ACCURATELY by weighing everything, maintain a caloric deficit, and don't lie to yourself or tell yourself you have to starve or cut out your favorite foods completely! Want some cake? Eat some cake! Just not the whole cake. And log that cake.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Good for both of you-Congratulations, and many happy, healthy years together!
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You both look so much healthier, and happier, well done!
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    congrats! you guys look great!
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Way to go, such an inspiration! My man has finally joined me on my mission for health and fitness and I'm so happy we're now doing it together. Its great for both motivation and support, hope someday soon we can post our joint success too! Congratz, you guys have had great success!!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring stories. You two look great.

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Very well done the pair of you :-)
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats guys you deserve this!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This is truly spectacular, wonderfully happy for you both!
  • flashtaxi
    flashtaxi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You inspire me! I am not interesting in exercising; just logging my food. If I exercise, it's because I want to do something fun. For years, I pushed myself to exercise to get the weight off and it worked for a time...but did not last because I hated it! I have a fitbit now and that's good enough. Some days I hit 10,000 steps and some days I don't, but I'm not going to stress about it. I really like your story because I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm not depriving myself of the things I like anymore and the weight is coming off. Very excited about that! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story! :smiley:
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Well done! And you guys are absolutely adorable!
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Awesome work you both have done! I bet it has drawn you closer together too, how lovely! You look great and I appreciate your commentary on logging accurately - it really is key!
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    flashtaxi wrote: »
    You inspire me! I am not interesting in exercising; just logging my food. If I exercise, it's because I want to do something fun. For years, I pushed myself to exercise to get the weight off and it worked for a time...but did not last because I hated it! I have a fitbit now and that's good enough. Some days I hit 10,000 steps and some days I don't, but I'm not going to stress about it. I really like your story because I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm not depriving myself of the things I like anymore and the weight is coming off. Very excited about that! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story! :smiley:

Yep! It's good to move, don't get me wrong... so if you gotta move anyway, just make it worth your time. Stairs instead of elevator/escalator, parking further away, etc... every little bit counts! ;)
    Awesome work you both have done! I bet it has drawn you closer together too, how lovely! You look great and I appreciate your commentary on logging accurately - it really is key!

It sure has! It's brought the whole family together in fact - we all actually sit down and eat our meals together, set aside specific 'snacks and movies' times, walk together to the grocery store (we need all the hands we can get to carry back groceries), etc. :)
  • kmg3614
    kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Good job! Motivational!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Right on!! Great working together!!
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Love to see couples support each other in a new healthier lifestyle!
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You both seem so happy and look wonderful. Also, 'bocking' looks like a ton of fun!
  • Omoe11
    Omoe11 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You both look great!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Impressive! Congrats to you both!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You are a fantastic and sweet couple!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!