Working in fast food

Options
lahzay
lahzay Posts: 22 Member
Help! So I know fast food is bad for you...but I'm having even worse temptation working at a fast food restaurant! The problem is not realizing that it is bad for me, its just after work I am so hungry that I order more food. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just bring a larger bagged lunch to work? And how much should I increase my caloric intake due to being on my feet more often?

Replies

• kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I work at subway, so not as bad as other places, but saw some unhealthy practices that lead me to only eat it when I prepare it myself at work. the bigger problem is being around the food, smelling all day leads to craving it. Try and find something not too bad that you can go to when you just want what youve been smelling, or order a smaller kid size. and bring more healthy snacks
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Fast food as a job 40 hrs a week (or even 30+) would be at LEAST moderately active (or lightly active I can't remember the names)

if you come home and you do a workout at least 3-5 times a week, I would bump it up to active.

How many calories do you eat now and what setting are you on? What kind of workouts do you do, how often, if any? How many hours a week do you work?
  • ChaneyJo
    ChaneyJo Posts: 7
    Options
    I know how you feel. I used to work in a restaurant (and actually getting ready to work in one again) I just got a salad or something that I know is a lil healthier. I dont know what fast food place you work in but most of them have "healthier" section in the menu. As for calories I just changed my activity level to Moderate activity and the website changed it for me. Good luck. You can do it.
  • hydrogirl0225
    Options
    I work in a grocery store so it's easy to make good and bad food choices. i found that bringing a lunch along with many snacks to work is helpful so i'm not so hungry at the end of the day. Yogurt or fruit or cereal help throughout the day.
  • JayandBrensMommy
    JayandBrensMommy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I work at McDonalds probably one of the worst places to work while changing your lifestyle. I have managed to actually do pretty good tho. Most days I order a salad without chicken (the chicken has to much sodium in it), apple dippers, and a parfait. I will admit tho that I have brought other things every once in while just to calm my cravings and then after that I dont even want it anymore. I dont have the cravings very often because after working there for over 8 years I am tired of the food.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I just noticed you only have 1 pound to go!!! So I must retract my previous questions and ask, what have you been doing so far? Has it been working? (Obviously it's worked at least a little! :smile:) If you need to bring a bigger lunch with you and have a smaller dinner, that is very feasable.

I also suggest choosing your goal as 'lose 0.5 lbs a week' or even 'maintain current weight' then eating under your goal every day and seeing how that works out. Because you are so close to your goal it might be getting harder for you to lose weight, or you might be getting hungrier (understandable!)
  • lahzay
    Options
    I'm on the lightly active setting right now, I usually bike or walk to work (1 1/2 miles), and work 15 hours a week at most.I would say I'm eating at least 1300 a day. Honestly other than biking I haven't exercised at all because being so busy.But I just finished this school term so I have no excuse!
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I have a feeling you could get away with eating more calories and still lose weight, but I am not sure of the specifics for you. 2000 calories a day seems to be 'average' for maintaining weight. Take away a few and you will lose weight, so anywhere between say 1300 and 1800 sounds good in my head. But check out some BMR calculators (sorry I have no links) and activity settings to see what other suggestions you might get.

It is important to try and avoid eating the fast food. It is full of preservatives and so on, like you mentioned you *know* it is not good for you. It is awesome that you bring lunch with you, keep doing that! And yes, bring MORE food if you feel like you might want to snack at work. You don't have to eat it all, but if you get hungrier, it is nice to know that there are healthy options for you in your lunch cooler.

Great job on nearly reaching your goal!!!
  • lahzay
    Options
    thank you for the advice!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I work at a restaurant too and it's so hard! I try to eat salads on my break, and limit my soft-serve addiction to one 4 oz ramekin a day (although sometimes i cheat and have two!) and a couple of miniature chocolates!