Weight loss - the right kind of motivation?

Options
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about weight loss and motivation. Everything I've ever seen about weight loss says the same thing: Lose weight to get healthier and be stronger and have more stamina etc. etc., as well as to look thinner. A lot of things I've seen will say things like "don't just try to be healthy to look better, do it because you want to be a healthier person, otherwise you will never have the willpower for it".

Well, I just cannot motivate myself with the whole "healthier in general" thing. I'll be honest, my desire to lose weight is entirely motivated by my desire to not look so flabby. If it didn't affect my appearance, I seriously doubt I would feel like doing anything about being overweight. I know the facts, but I just cannot imagine being motivated by the idea of being physically healthier. I know this sounds bad, but although I know it should be, health just really isn't a motivation for me for some reason.

So I'm worried that won't be enough to make me stick at it, basically :( And whether this is normal, is there something wrong with me? Is everyone else super motivated to be healthy for health's sake?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've always been motivated by vanity. Wanting to look good at my sister's wedding kicked it off. Wanting a greater variety of stores I can shop in. Wanting to look better in my cosplays. I can look back and say that yes, I do feel healthier. But I had no concept of what that would feel like when I was just starting out.

I think what you're feeling is normal for many people.

You might give this a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You're young. Personally, now that I'm in my 50's the whole health angle is a bit more real. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Losing weight inherently leads to better health. It's all good.
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm old and my health sucks, but it's still all about looking good. If I happen to feel better and stuff, bonus. You're not the only one.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is all about looking good. The health thing is a bonus. I was miserable when I weighed 186, not because i was unhealthy, but because I hated the way I looked. I don't hate the way I look now (149), still want to lose a few pounds, and the healthy thing is a little more important, but my motivation is still to look better.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The problem with those studies and those kinds of statements it that there will always be exceptions. While in general most people may be better off with losing weight for health reasons (for example, wanting to be a healthy example to your kids and so you live long enough to see them have kids), that doesn't mean everyone will be best served by those same motivations.

If you are motivated by vanity, then use that to start you off. If vanity keeps you thin, then awesome. If your motivation changes, that is great too, so long as you stay at a healthy weight.

My motivation started off with not wanting to get various diseases associated with being overweight. It also had some vanity aspect to it. Now that I'm in the normal range everything is motivated by vanity as for health reasons I have no reason to continue to lose weight or increase strength, but I'm still doing both.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you... "Lose weight to feel healthier" does very little to motivate me... I wouldn't be worried, though, because it's simply a matter of 'different strokes for different folks'. My motivation is to be able to fit in my clothes and not have a gut (it isn't huge, but it sure isn't a 6-pack either). It'll also help my back pain and allow me to be more active w/ my kids and life in general. Those are all great motivators for me... being healthy in general is partially accomplished by losing add'l pounds, but it 'being healthy overall' involves a lot more than just losing weight.

And I say all this after being at a point in life (years and years ago) that I ate healthy, worked out consistently and was very active... and it felt PHENOMENAL! Even still, remembering being in that state still doesn't motivate me to get back to it. Strange, but oh well... I am who I am.

Don't sweat it... find the thing (or things) that drive you and have at it! Good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You don't have to be motivated by health to be successful. Any motivation will do as long as it's important to you. I'm motivated by health because I had a health scare, but you probably didn't (hope you won't) so to you it feels distant and unimportant to you right now. That's alright, whatever your motivation is, you will get the health bonus anyway. Heck, I know a guy who lost weight and kept it off for 2 years so far because he really likes to travel and got sick of having to buy two seats on the plane. You don't need to be motivated by health to lose weight successfully and keep it off.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think vanity plays at least some role in weight loss for everyone, and other reasons come over time. Like others said, it is partly an age thing. As a young person (I'm 32 now but was 25 when I started) even though I was seriously overweight at the time I didn't have any health problems so it was hard to use that as motivation. However, it eventually dawned on me that I WOULD have health problems in the future if I didn't get it together. So that helped. But sometimes you have to just go with the motivations that you have. Which often is no motivation at all, but you just keep doing it anyway.

I don't think it's a bad thing to be vanity-driven to some extent. I think it's a bigger problem when the desire to lose weight comes from major self loathing rather than a positive desire for self-improvement.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I think vanity plays at least some role in weight loss for everyone, and other reasons come over time. Like others said, it is partly an age thing. As a young person (I'm 32 now but was 25 when I started) even though I was seriously overweight at the time I didn't have any health problems so it was hard to use that as motivation. However, it eventually dawned on me that I WOULD have health problems in the future if I didn't get it together. So that helped. But sometimes you have to just go with the motivations that you have. Which often is no motivation at all, but you just keep doing it anyway.

I don't think it's a bad thing to be vanity-driven to some extent. I think it's a bigger problem when the desire to lose weight comes from major self loathing rather than a positive desire for self-improvement.

Very true! OP, just do what works for you. Motivation comes and goes and the reason for it fluctuates regularly for me. Sometimes it is because I've been feeling poorly and just want to feel better. Sometimes I'm not entirely happy with the way I look and want to look better. Sometimes it's both and sometimes there's none at all, but I just keep doing what I'm doing out of habit and because I know it's the best course to take.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to look good :/ nothing wrong with it.
  • HelenRobertsNZ
    HelenRobertsNZ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have major health and longevity reasons for losing weight, but honestly looking better is paramount most of the time. It's as valid a kick-start as any other reason. I have cancer and wish to have more time with my children and a happier more active life as a long term goal. Day to day though, fitting those jeans again or seeing the flab on my arms reduce is a powerful motivator.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    My sole motivation for weight loss was to look better naked. :D