just went double my daily goal :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    hapa11 wrote: »
    Did you go crazy because you had the pizza and then said "Oh well, I blew it anyway..." Try to not let one bad meal/food derail your day. I read a quote here on MFP that sticks with me: something like "When you get a flat tire, don't slash the other three."

I like the quote. May make it my Screensaver.

• kiddiebqueen17
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Maybe you're not allowing yourself enough calories on a regular basis.

How much weight do you want to lose?

To avoid the "binge eating" you are going to have to look at what drives it. Not the food - the behavior. You mention that "everything tasted so good"... there's a clue. Are you forcing yourself to eat 'diet' foods that don't appeal to you? Have you arbitrarily removed foods that you enjoy? Are you eating in a way that you can sustain for the long haul?

I have the program set up to lose 2 lbs a week. It allows me to have 1200 calories a day. I love (and am used to eating lots of) grains and cheese. I have been making my calorie count by little substitutions.... making fajitas minus the wrap or vegetable sandwich instead of grilled cheese, pasta sauce with garlic bread minus the noodles.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Well 2 pounds may be too many. Set it to one and getbused tob it, then later you can update to 2 pounds.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For me when I started tracking my foods it saw that certain foods trigger binge eating for me -- pizza for example. Not worth it so I don't eat it. I stay away from my food triggers. I find it much easier to stick to my calorie macro when I don't eat my trigger foods. Different people in my experience have different trigger foods and some people don't have any.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

To avoid the "binge eating" you are going to have to look at what drives it. Not the food - the behavior. You mention that "everything tasted so good"... there's a clue. Are you forcing yourself to eat 'diet' foods that don't appeal to you? Have you arbitrarily removed foods that you enjoy? Are you eating in a way that you can sustain for the long haul?

I have the program set up to lose 2 lbs a week. It allows me to have 1200 calories a day. I love (and am used to eating lots of) grains and cheese. I have been making my calorie count by little substitutions.... making fajitas minus the wrap or vegetable sandwich instead of grilled cheese, pasta sauce with garlic bread minus the noodles.

Height/weight/age?

How much do you have to lose?

How active are you?

1,200 is too low for many, many people.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

It's key to know how much weight you'd like to lose. If it's 25 lbs. or less, you should be set up to lose .5 lb/week. That way you receive more calories to work with. More calories = greater satisfaction = weight loss is sustainable.

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

How much weight do you want to lose total? 2 pounds a week is a lot unless you are obese. And 1200 calories a day is not much. I'm at the end of my weight loss but I actually switched mine from 1 pound a week to .5 pound a week because 1 pound a week left me at 1200 calories a day and I couldn't manage it. I'd rather lose slower but not be hungry all the time. You could try changing your settings to 1.5 lbs a week or even 1 if you have less than fifty pounds to lose.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. Learn from it and mive on. But before you move on, wallow in that guilt and self loathing for a bit today. Then eat super clean tomorrow, and wallow in how GOOD that feels in comparison. Then store those feelings for later when you're tempted in the future. Which of those two feelings would you prefer to recreate?
  • Dayofthebread
    Dayofthebread Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would try and not worry about it, having guilt about food is not going to help in the long run and eating at 1200 and then having a higher day is probably not going to have a big effect (apart from water weight if you have eaten more salty foods). Depending on your age and activity level you are probably still in a deficit over the week. I like to think of it as it's more important what you eat over the week/month than just one day. I tend to have higher and lower days, so a less hungry day I might have 1200, but then another I'll have 1800 or whatever and then on the app you can look at your average over the week. (It might not work for you, but thought I would mention.)

Also as others have said 1200 could be a little low. Different things work for different people but if you are under eating that can lead to the binges for some people.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

How much weight do you want to lose total? 2 pounds a week is a lot unless you are obese. And 1200 calories a day is not much. I'm at the end of my weight loss but I actually switched mine from 1 pound a week to .5 pound a week because 1 pound a week left me at 1200 calories a day and I couldn't manage it. I'd rather lose slower but not be hungry all the time. You could try changing your settings to 1.5 lbs a week or even 1 if you have less than fifty pounds to lose.

Maybe switch to 1lb a week and see if that works better for you? Better to lose 1lb a week for longer than lose 2lb a week but burn out and fail to reach the goal.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Eat less calories or work out more the next couple days to get to the same goal for the week. In the future, don't go as overboard, but allow yourself 1 meal/week where you get to "cheat". You need to have rewards and tasty meals to look forward to and keep you going. Good luck!

Disagree ...tasty foods should be the bedrock of your diet...if it's not tasty why waste the calories

Also ...if you have to cheat there's no point...you can save up calories to splurge...that's not cheating,that's sticking to your weekly calorie goal...that's not cheating :)

I put a few hundred calories in the bank every week so I can have a nice Sunday dinner or a candy bar without worrying about going over my goal

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot less likely to binge when I eat a little bit more. Switch your diary to lose 1 pound a week if this becomes a habit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

OP, 1200 is the bare minimum and I would be starving if I was eating 1200 cals. Unless you have more than 50 lbs to lose, 2 lbs may be too aggressive a goal. Set yourself to 1 lb per week for awhile and see how you do with that. Also, you should be eating some of your exercise calories back, are doing that?

I found the best way to avoid flying off the rails is to make sure I am eating small portions of the foods I love every day. Cutting out stuff entirely makes me miserable and sets myself up for failure. Some people can do it, but not me. It's also important to remember that one undisciplined meal is not the end of the world. Don't psychologically throw in the towel for the day just because you gave in and had a donut for breakfast or something like that. One meal didn't get you to your current weight, it was day after day of poor choices. So if you do go "off plan", accept that you are human and it will happen and get right back on plan. No big deal! :drinker:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I was your age when I started and I never ate under 1650 calories (did not eat back exercise calories). I'm 5'5" and I was 213 pounds. I would NEVER have stuck to it if I had to eat 1200 calories. I'd still be 200 pounds today, heck maybe 250...

Your binge? Even if you ate 2400 calories, you probably ate at maintenance. It's not a huge deal. Just move on from it... You won't gain any fat from it, it's just going to slow down your weight loss if you do it too often... so decrease your goal to losing 1 pound a week but stop depriving yourself.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    Options

Height/weight/age?
    I am 5'10 and started at 185lbs.
    In the few weeks watching my weight I am now at 178 lbs.

How much do you have to lose?
    My goal is to get down to 160lbs by summer but set my goal to 2 lbs a week because we have a family vacation to Mexico in February and I was hoping to shed a few pounds before then.

How active are you?
    I am not very active. I am a supply teacher (Two days a week) and home with my daughter the rest of the time. Our most active is grocery shopping and housework.

1,200 is too low for many, many people.