Suggestions to make running less boring on treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Throw a towel over the display!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I change the speed/incline every minute. So rather than it being boring, I make it hard and watch the clock countdown until I can change it again :)
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
  • christierenea
    christierenea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do intervals, jump off every 10 mins to do push ups, mountain climbers, planks then get back on. I also dance on mine (sounds ridiculous) but it works and do side shuffles. Also the hill program.Makes it less boring. Hope this helps.
  • fezsan
    fezsan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a video of the WII character running around the island. I play it on my ipad. There are plenty of videos to download from you tube and they come in different abilities.
  • walkywish
    walkywish Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    Go outside?

I'm with Epic. Once you go outside you'll never look back
  • flipfloplife
    flipfloplife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love outside but it's too cold for be if under 45 degrees. Which should why I struggle indoors
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I studied Rosetta Stone Chinese audio review on my iPod. When I finished RS I was lost! It was great to get both my run and a review in before 7 am!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about intervals. Google (or check Pinterest) for treadmill interval workouts, there are some really good ones and I'm always surprised at how much faster the time goes while also wearing me out more than if I'm just running at one speed the whole time.

Otherwise, I mostly just accept that running on the treadmill is boring and tedious but I don't need to pay attention so I can kind of just zone out to music. So the boring aspect can be a good thing some days.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Netflix! I'm not really a music person, but I love to walk go a good show!
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I won't watch Netflix unless I am on the treadmill... so if I want to watch a tv series... must get on the treadmill. I don't always push it BUT I figure even a slow walk is better than the couch.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Commercial intervals.

When I walked/ran on the treadmill at the gym I did this, and I do this when I ride my bicycle on the trainer in my basement.

I pick a show on TV that I like, I walk or cycle at an easier pace during the show and then when the commercial comes on, I go all out to the end of the commercial.

30 or 60 minutes goes by in no time.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I wasn't very good at putting my idea into words so I drew a picture :smile:

qabop0ntubh8.png
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

NCIS has gotten me through a whole lot of treadmill workouts!

For the treadmill or elliptical during the winter it is Netflix or YouTube.

• the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like the"Zombies Run" app. It makes running part of a game. It can't hurt to try.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I dont have issues on the treadmill...its outdoor running that bores me!
  • flipfloplife
    flipfloplife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Throw a towel over the display!

Great idea!
  • natryice2013
    natryice2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Join a train group and run outside. It keeps you acountible and all the new friends you make help to keep you on track. It's helped me and I'm currently training for my 2nd half marathon. Good luck with your running!