If I can do it....

Options
DayOneVB
DayOneVB Posts: 40 Member
To start off with I’m in no way a writer, not good with grammar and tend to make up my own abbreviations and lets not talk about spelling lol. With all that said here we go! I started my journey seriously last January 2015. I was 50 years, lying in a hospital bed with two blood clots in my lungs. Using oxygen daily, I was weighing 496lbs. The cardiologist that I had been seeing for years came in and said Dan we need to have a talk. Your heart is in bad shape. Your rate is high and at this point is staying in irregular rhythm. I can almost promise you that you are not going to see 51 years old. At first this infuriated me. I said to myself, what does this guy know! Then it hit me. I NEED to make a change and it needs to be done now. Having a supportive wife and a 9-year-old son at home my journey began that day. We made some calls, got me a appointment for surgery at UVA medical center to have my heart ablated. Once that was done I began focusing on my weight. On January 26th 2015 I had my first appointment with a weight loss surgeon. Surgery was scheduled for August 4th 2015 for a gastric sleeve procedure. During the 6-month trial period I began working my butt off, literally. At the beginning I was using oxygen just to walk short distances. Little by little I started to change. By August 4th I was down 120lbs. The surgery went awesome and today I’m weighing 289lbs! I’m running daily and feel so much better! That in a nutshell is how my journey began. My goal is to reach 250lbs and maintain it. I know with hard work this can be done! I wish everyone well on your own journey! Keep your focus and take it day by day!

Replies

• BFree2BMe
    BFree2BMe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow great job. I really hope I have a great story to tell one year from now
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Dan, great story and very inspirational. You are the man!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you, Dan! Good work!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    What a difference you've made - very well done :-)
  • kmg3614
    kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Keep it up!!
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    great job. keep it going!
  • DayOneVB
    DayOneVB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I know we all can make positive changes with dedication and support! Massive non scale victory for me today. My goal was to hit four miles in my run,,today it happened! k2sfeipkpihj.png
  • lm416448
    lm416448 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Im trying but its so hard. Exercising is easy but eating healthy is very hatd for me
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats
  • Cheryl7777
    Cheryl7777 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far. Stay the course and you will be at goal in no time. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • tanyajensen75
    tanyajensen75 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You are an absolute inspiration. I am really struggling to be consistent on my journey. Once I log my food for about 3 months, I get distracted by work, school, or lose motivation some how. Not this time! I am ready and loved your story. Congrats big time!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Really impressive. Congratulations. What a great motivation
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!