soup for dinner

Options
What do you all think about eating broth soup for weight loss like wonton. Is it too salty?

Replies

• scrivear
    scrivear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the salt content but having soup with dinner is filling. I'm not as hungry.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to restrict salt? If no, and it helps you achieve a calorie deficit, then yes it can be good for weight loss.

So can literally any other food that you enjoy that you eat in a calorie deficit. So I would probably eat some stir fry over rice with that wonton soup, and if I had some extra calories, I would throw in some crab Rangoon. :smile:
  • RSavage83
    RSavage83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat smaller meals earlier in the day so I can have a larger meal and a snack in the evening. I save my soups and veggies for lunch so that I can eat something more filling for supper and not wake up 'starving' in the morning. I eat won ton soup... it's lovely... but I couldn't handle it if that's what I had to eat for supper. To each their own though! I don't add salt to my food, I don't have a medical reason to reduce my sodium, so I don't mind something a little higher every now and then. I think those soups run around 30 to 40 % of daily sodium intake which is fine if you're not eating a lot of other salty stuff throughout the day.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Salt tends to make me retain water and leads to disappointing scale results. But I frequently make cabbage, tomato, and onion - based veggie soup that has about 300 cal in a giant stock pot and enjoy that for a very filling very low cal lunch and/or dinner.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't even track salt anymore, just make sure I drink enough water.

As for broth for weight loss - are you talking just broth for dinner? No thanks - why eat (or drink) what they give sick people, or those recovering from major surgery in the hospital? Eat REAL food, with a good balance of carbs/fat/protein which will fill you up and fuel your body.

Unless you want to dine on broth forever - temporary changes will get you temporary results.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat soup AND some actual food for dinner if you want.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Now I want some soup!! :wink:
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Soup is lovely. That is all.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Broth for dinner sounds a bit meager to me. I would do as @WinoGelato suggests and add more food to it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    For me, only cream-based soups work as meals on their own, unless I have a cold or something. For you, whatever floats your boat! Just make sure you're eating enough.