Weight loss and lifting

Options
I've been lifting and staying at or close to my calorie goal but my weight loss is slower than before I started lifting. Has anyone else noticed slower losses while lifting? I should have taken measurements!

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i was going to say - might be better to compare your measurements!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Go by measurements, photos and how clothes fit. The scale will do crazy things, and lifting in particular can make for some sore muscles that hold onto fluid.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yes my weight loss has slowed since I've increased weight training. I believe that I am still dropping body fat, but my body is retaining more water (which is required by your body as you build muscle).
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes, same here! It has slowed dramatically since increasing my heavy weight lifting. However, I am much leaner which I am happy about. I agree with the other pp and take measurements. Try on previously smaller clothes(I do this rather than take actual measurements ) and take pictures of your progress
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Get a scale that also measures your percent of body fat - the only way to really know what's going on. :)
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I should put my scale up. Numbers drive me crazy!

• mooriah21
    mooriah21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The scale provides a very narrow perspective of your health. Put it in the closet where it can't torment you!
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    mooriah21 wrote: »
    The scale provides a very narrow perspective of your health. Put it in the closet where it can't torment you!

I've been considering it...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    We're you losing and doing cardio before but not eating back your exercise calories?
    If that is the case your weight loss will have slowed because you are not burning quite the same amount of calories lifting for an hour as you would have doing cardio for an hour, depending on rests between sets etc.

As posters above have said. Water weight has to be taken into consideration too. You may be losing fat but the extra water is hiding the fact on the scale.

Cheers, h.