Weightloss and Cancer

Over the Holidays I was diagnosed with stage 4 Colon cancer, about a foot of colon was removed which was where the tumor was growing, and am now stuck in a Colostomy bag for probably the next year. Along with that Lung, and Liver cancer (not too sure what stages they're at so far). Due to surgery and while being made an NPO I feel cheated with the weight that I currently lost, but only feel a tiny bit of shame since it was not my own effort. During the past few weeks, I have made progress with recovering from surgery, and have also changed my eating habits.
I am stressed, depressed, and devastated. Chemotherapy starts on the 18th of this month and I'm sure the drugs will speed up weight loss. I do not know what to do as far as cancer goes, I am only 25. I am trying to stay positive, while keeping my mind busy with other things like, writing, gaming, and have recently started with becoming an Avon Representative.
I'm not too sure what all to say, I guess I'm just trying to reach out to my fellow victims of cancer. How do you overcome this? What are your best strategies for beating this whilst trying to become a better, healthier person? I know some people can't handle things like this, and am trying not to run down that slippery slope, flailing my arms and screaming "Just end the torment, already!" I have so many questions that need answers too, but can't find the words or my voice.
I also feel cheated, having me questioning the big man upstairs. Why do these things exist? Why torture human kind with these diseases that hurt them, put them in so much pain? I am not religious by any means, and being diagnosed the way I have has lessened my faith in him all together. I know that's something no God fearing person wants to hear, but I am at a loss.......................

*Sighs* If anyone has any ideas, strategies, healthy recipes for the body or to help fight against cancer, or just ways to help me would be much appreciated. Thanks. Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday.

Replies

• LunaZuriel
    LunaZuriel Posts: 77 Member
    Nobody? Really?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    So sorry to hear about the struggles you are dealing with. While I can sympathize with recent bad diagnosis (not cancer but difficult in its own way), difficult symptoms and setbacks I can't pretend to understand what you are going through.

Two main suggestions I would have would be to take it slow, understand that your body is in recovery and soon to be under some pretty intense stress from treatment. Weight loss and fitness should be a second thought to mental health and stress relief being the most important.

Second would honestly be continue what you are doing by keeping occupied with hobbies and interests you are able to keep up with as well as searching for support. I know it can be hard at such a young age for our peers to really understand what we're going through or to be of any help when we need a shoulder to cry on but there are some great online and usually community based support groups around almost any major city.

If needed, I would also recommend talking to a professional. A lot of people need someone to talk to and work with through a tough time and it could really help through the worst of it to help you cope and deal with the emotions that go along with it all.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Critical Mass: The Young Adult Cancer Alliance (CM:YACA)

http://www.criticalmass.orginfo@criticalmass.org512.553.3556

There are some videos for young adults diagnosed with cancer http://www.livestrong.org/we-can-help/just-diagnosed/young-adults-with-cancer/

• LunaZuriel
    I appreciate your advise
    So sorry to hear about the struggles you are dealing with. While I can sympathize with recent bad diagnosis (not cancer but difficult in its own way), difficult symptoms and setbacks I can't pretend to understand what you are going through.

Two main suggestions I would have would be to take it slow, understand that your body is in recovery and soon to be under some pretty intense stress from treatment. Weight loss and fitness should be a second thought to mental health and stress relief being the most important.

Second would honestly be continue what you are doing by keeping occupied with hobbies and interests you are able to keep up with as well as searching for support. I know it can be hard at such a young age for our peers to really understand what we're going through or to be of any help when we need a shoulder to cry on but there are some great online and usually community based support groups around almost any major city.

If needed, I would also recommend talking to a professional. A lot of people need someone to talk to and work with through a tough time and it could really help through the worst of it to help you cope and deal with the emotions that go along with it all.

I appreciate your advise, truly. Although I'm not all fond to talking with professionals, most of the time they either don't know what people are going through, and or don't take the time to try to understand. Most like my Doctor who will be giving me treatment on the 18th. He's the best in his field, but has horrible manners.

I also apologize for your recent bad diagnoses, I hope all goes well in the future. =-) Thank you.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I am really sorry to hear what you are going through. I would second what maroonmango211 wrote. Regarding eating I would speak to a dietitian to get some ideas, also try and eat food that are easily digestible .
  • LunaZuriel
    Critical Mass: The Young Adult Cancer Alliance (CM:YACA)

http://www.criticalmass.orginfo@criticalmass.org512.553.3556

There are some videos for young adults diagnosed with cancer http://www.livestrong.org/we-can-help/just-diagnosed/young-adults-with-cancer/

Thank you for the links. The first one said server not found, but the second link will prove to be pretty helpful. Thank you.
  • LunaZuriel
    socajam wrote: »
    I am really sorry to hear what you are going through. I would second what maroonmango211 wrote. Regarding eating I would speak to a dietitian to get some ideas, also try and eat food that are easily digestible .

I was thinking about a dietitian a few days ago, but my mother went to school for that mostly, so she's been helping me a lot with a meal plan. Thank you.
  • PteFabulous
    PteFabulous Posts: 16 Member
    Hi Luna,

It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of stress and struggles with your recent diagnosis, surgery, and upcoming treatment. I think it's important though to keep in mind during this difficult time that you need to do the things that will help you get through you treatment. Chemotherapy has many side effects, and nausea tends to be one of the biggest issues cancer patients face. I wouldn't worry so much about weight loss, but wanting to eat healthier to maximize your energy is definitely a good thought! I would recommend asking your oncologist to refer you to a good nutritionist who can give you some goals for daily protein and other nutrient goals as your needs will change as you go through treatment. I agree with the suggestion of finding a support group, the only people who can really empathize with you are those who have gone through cancer treatment themselves.

Take care!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    LunaZuriel wrote: »
    Over the Holidays I was diagnosed with stage 4 Colon cancer, about a foot of colon was removed which was where the tumor was growing, and am now stuck in a Colostomy bag for probably the next year. Along with that Lung, and Liver cancer (not too sure what stages they're at so far). Due to surgery and while being made an NPO I feel cheated with the weight that I currently lost, but only feel a tiny bit of shame since it was not my own effort. During the past few weeks, I have made progress with recovering from surgery, and have also changed my eating habits.
    I am stressed, depressed, and devastated. Chemotherapy starts on the 18th of this month and I'm sure the drugs will speed up weight loss. I do not know what to do as far as cancer goes, I am only 25. I am trying to stay positive, while keeping my mind busy with other things like, writing, gaming, and have recently started with becoming an Avon Representative.
    I'm not too sure what all to say, I guess I'm just trying to reach out to my fellow victims of cancer. How do you overcome this? What are your best strategies for beating this whilst trying to become a better, healthier person? I know some people can't handle things like this, and am trying not to run down that slippery slope, flailing my arms and screaming "Just end the torment, already!" I have so many questions that need answers too, but can't find the words or my voice.
    I also feel cheated, having me questioning the big man upstairs. Why do these things exist? Why torture human kind with these diseases that hurt them, put them in so much pain? I am not religious by any means, and being diagnosed the way I have has lessened my faith in him all together. I know that's something no God fearing person wants to hear, but I am at a loss.......................

*Sighs* If anyone has any ideas, strategies, healthy recipes for the body or to help fight against cancer, or just ways to help me would be much appreciated. Thanks. Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday.

I will not pretend to personally know what you are going through, but my best friend went through something similar recently. Initial diagnosis was that it would pretty much take a miracle for her to survive more than 6 months, but it turns out that miracles do happen, and after a few very hard years, she is officially cancer free. I have seen her struggle with this horrible illness and with the side effects of treatment, and all I can say is follow dr's instructions, do not trust anything that is not approved by your dr, because many "miracle" foods, alternative medicine treatments etc are not just ineffective but can actually harm you during chemotherapy, focus on feeling comfortable and do not push yourself to do things that make you feel worse, and find someone to talk to. Many hospitals have social workers or psychologists that can help. If this is not available where you are, look for patient groups. My friend was introduced to a group of other patients during physical therapy and it really helped her a lot emotionally.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    I am sorry to hear what you are going through. It's a tough place for you to be.

Before my father underwent chemo and radiation it was advised to him, that he put on as much weight as possible before the treatment. Treatment made him sick, left him with nil appetite etc. He lost a lot of weight, so much so that he was very much underweight.

I would advise you speak to a dietician who has oncology experience before embarking on any more weight loss.

Are there any support groups in your area or perhaps you can seek out online suppport groups?

• LunaZuriel
    Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I also appreciate you all sending links for support groups. I know that there are many support groups, I am just a bit skeptical, and not much of a socialite when it comes to human contact. I work well over the internet, apparently. I am also not sure of any support groups in my area, but I'm sure I wouldn't hesitate to ask the people of that group any questions if I felt it necessary. Again, thank you all.
  • HelenRobertsNZ
    HelenRobertsNZ Posts: 16 Member
    I had chemo a couple of years ago (metastatic breast cancer, spine cancer) and I'd suggest being very kind to yourself during the process. The best dietary advice from my doctor was "some days will be donut days, so eat donuts" - he was absolutely right. Some days I wasn't hungry at all, some days the steroids made me ravenous, some days even my favourite foods tasted wrong. On the days when I could, eating healthily gave a measure of control over my situation (even if the healthy meal was followed up by a huge bowl of ice cream).

I know those feelings of panic and despair, so very sorry that you are experiencing this. It is a very personal journey, but if I can ever help please add me as a friend - whether you need to vent or just ask a question, or share your progress. Do be kind to yourself, and best wishes to you.
  • LunaZuriel
    I had chemo a couple of years ago (metastatic breast cancer, spine cancer) and I'd suggest being very kind to yourself during the process. The best dietary advice from my doctor was "some days will be donut days, so eat donuts" - he was absolutely right. Some days I wasn't hungry at all, some days the steroids made me ravenous, some days even my favourite foods tasted wrong. On the days when I could, eating healthily gave a measure of control over my situation (even if the healthy meal was followed up by a huge bowl of ice cream).

I know those feelings of panic and despair, so very sorry that you are experiencing this. It is a very personal journey, but if I can ever help please add me as a friend - whether you need to vent or just ask a question, or share your progress. Do be kind to yourself, and best wishes to you.

Thank you Helen. I would think that the drugs would have me like a roller coaster. I'm pretty sure they'll alter my tastes and make me eat (probably) like a pregnant woman. Lol. I appreciate your help. =-)
  • AmyMarie106
    AmyMarie106 Posts: 2 Member
    Save your strength you may need it, I don't want to sound like a jerk but it's true. I started writing this HUGE reply but I decided not to for various reasons. Talk to your Drs ask for help and advice they know what's best in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck to you in your fight and kick cancers *kitten*!
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    I don't have cancer, however my dad does. He is 53 years old and was only recently released from the hospital after many surgeries and a very lengthy stay. The only I advice and gift I can give is my support. You have every right to be angry, frustrated, scared, sad, happy...any emotional state you can think of, you have the right to express and be. I told my dad the same thing...he was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer in August 2010, he had about 3 feet of his colon removed but did not require a colostomy bag. He was close to making it 1 year cancer free and then we got the news on my 30th birthday last year-- it returned, this time with a vengance. It wrapped itself around his heart, lungs, kidneys and esophagus. And he has since had some complications.

You had mentioned being social via internet, there are lots of groups, but one I have found to be good is the Colon Cancer Alliance group. These survivors and fighters have the same outlook and confusion as you do. Like you they question the man up above and can relate to you. I wish you the best in this journey and hope you can find many other supporters here for you.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    People can have their cancer go into remission. I have a friend who was diagnosed with a very aggressive brain tumor and given 7 months. It's been two years now and she's living a full and meaningful life. You just never know, so live into possibility! And I loved the comment that "some days will just be doughnut days".
  • LunaZuriel
    I don't have cancer, however my dad does. He is 53 years old and was only recently released from the hospital after many surgeries and a very lengthy stay. The only I advice and gift I can give is my support. You have every right to be angry, frustrated, scared, sad, happy...any emotional state you can think of, you have the right to express and be. I told my dad the same thing...he was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer in August 2010, he had about 3 feet of his colon removed but did not require a colostomy bag. He was close to making it 1 year cancer free and then we got the news on my 30th birthday last year-- it returned, this time with a vengance. It wrapped itself around his heart, lungs, kidneys and esophagus. And he has since had some complications.

You had mentioned being social via internet, there are lots of groups, but one I have found to be good is the Colon Cancer Alliance group. These survivors and fighters have the same outlook and confusion as you do. Like you they question the man up above and can relate to you. I wish you the best in this journey and hope you can find many other supporters here for you.

That's strange. I wonder why they didn't put him in one since we have/had the same stage in colon cancer. That makes no sense. That also angers me. Hah! Thank you for your advise, and sharing your fathers struggles with me.
  • LunaZuriel
    Save your strength you may need it, I don't want to sound like a jerk but it's true. I started writing this HUGE reply but I decided not to for various reasons. Talk to your Drs ask for help and advice they know what's best in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck to you in your fight and kick cancers *kitten*!

Thank you. I'm actually looking for second opinions, cause my doctors act like the three stooges believe it or not. Most of the time, doctors do not know what's best, but usually it depends on the person. Most doctors only care about money, so they'll throw any treatment at any gullible person that comes along. I don't trust many doctors too, so hopefully I can find one that I can trust, and like.