Liquid Diet

Options
Hi All,

Looking for advice from senior members as to how I can control my liquid intake. I work in a high stress software development firm and even though i try a lot to avoid the stress compells me to gulp down 3-4 coffe and 1-2 soft drinks a day! Off lately i have tried to replace the coffee with green tea which is supposedly healthier but sucks at taste. So even green tea is not helping!

If anyone could give pointers as to how they control their liquids or are there any healthier options other than coffee or soft drinks , would be a great help.

Regards
Krishna

Replies

• kriru
    kriru Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi All,

Looking for advice from senior members as to how I can control my liquid intake. I work in a high stress software development firm and even though i try a lot to avoid the stress compells me to gulp down 3-4 coffe and 1-2 soft drinks a day! Off lately i have tried to replace the coffee with green tea which is supposedly healthier but sucks at taste. So even green tea is not helping!

If anyone could give pointers as to how they control their liquids or are there any healthier options other than coffee or soft drinks , would be a great help.

Regards
    Krishna
  • little_wolfie
    Options
    Obviously I'm not a senior member, but I used to be heavily addicted to Diet Coke! I'd go through 4 liters a day, sometimes more. What I did was to quit slowly. First I switched down to 2 liters a day. Then I went off caffeine and went to caffeine free Diet Coke. After I had been doing that for about a week, I stopped buying it. I tried to drink as much water as I could during the day and that really, really helped It took a few days to get used to it, but now I looove water, it's delicious!

I do find that if I have soda in the house, like last week we had 24 cans of rootbeer and cream soda, I will go straight for the soda. I just like the taste, the carbonation, whatever. And then if I am used to drinking it, I won't like my water as much and want mooore soda. It's a vicious cycle. So I'm trying to only drink soda once a week, if we go out or something.

I hope that helps a little. My most important thing was actually cutting out caffeine, and I did get headaches for a little while but after about a week it went away.

And I'm a stay at home mom of a 1 year old, which is high stress too!! :)
  • repoman
    repoman Posts: 11
    Options
    What are you trying to consume less of? Caffeine? Then have them order some decaf coffee and caffeine free diet coke (or diet 7-up).

If you're trying to avoid soda altogether, you can drink flavored Natural Rain.

AFA the high-stress job, been there, done that. It's not worth it. Maybe you should get a job where you're not releasing code all the time? It's nice to work on projects with 12-18 month release cycles, rather than pushing builds multiple times a week. That means avoiding basically any dot-com.
  • repoman
    Options
    You could also have them bring in some herball tea smile:
  • twoody
    twoody Posts: 42
    Options
    I add lemon to my water and that helps a bit...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    Sorry, water is the way to go. Some people like the powdered Crystal Lite - it's convenient, zero cal - but you are using artificial sweeteners.

I like the Propel powder - it has vitamins and again zero cal - but with artificial sweeteners again.

Water. The end. :drinker:
  • kriru
    kriru Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone ...

@little_wolfie I meant senior as people more experienced than me :)

@repoman with the recession on it hard to secure my current job forget a new one :)

Again thanx all for ur advice
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different brands of green tea? I like Twinings but I did not like Lipton or Bigelow. Try a few there might be one you like.
    Water is the best. If you don't like it plain a wedge of lemon or lime is a nice flavor.

Going off of caffeine is best done gradually. The last time I did it I did the cold turkey method. Lucky for me my husband loves me! I wanted to through myself out I got so crabby! But I am feeling like I have more energy, am sleeping better, hot flashes are gone. I miss coffee, especially lattes. But feeling good is so much better.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Keep giving tea a shot. There are so many herbal teas out there that taste great. If green tea isn't necessarily your thing, try a different one. You can add honey to some of them, too. Yummy!

For right now, try limiting your caffeine intake. 1 cup of coffee a day and/or 1 soda. Replace the other cups/cans with water.

I was really holding back on the whole water thing. I drive for work and thought it would be impossible. Once I got going (lots of trips to the rest room for one or two days) I realized it wasn't really that big of an issue. 8 cups isn't THAT much. The other thing was that I dropped a few pounds right away. It really is so good for you and your body runs much better with the water. You will feel it in no time at all. Make yourself have get that water in for a few days and then after that you will start to need it. From there it is easy. It makes all the difference, so do it!!

:drinker:
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different brands of green tea? I like Twinings but I did not like Lipton or Bigelow. Try a few there might be one you like.
    Water is the best. If you don't like it plain a wedge of lemon or lime is a nice flavor.

Going off of caffeine is best done gradually. The last time I did it I did the cold turkey method. Lucky for me my husband loves me! I wanted to through myself out I got so crabby! But I am feeling like I have more energy, am sleeping better, hot flashes are gone. I miss coffee, especially lattes. But feeling good is so much better.

Krishna ji! - I agree with tea. It is a great and healthy option. I wouldn't suggest chai, unless in moderation. But green tea or even black tea is great. Sukriya ji!
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :drinker: try flavored seltzer water. O calories but still all the bubbles of soda.
  • repoman
    Options
    I hear ya!

Cheers,
    -D
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :love: I drank flavored seltser as I was waning myself off soda totally a couple years ago. Finally goodbye bubbles( a couple of chemists I met have told me we are actually additced to the bubbles not the soda itself! Carbon dioxide are whatever the heck they make the bubbles with- I forget). Now I just grab a seltzer when I have the craving. Not often!!!:laugh: