Losing 30 pounds by june

Options
28 year old male 5 foot 3 currently hovering around 190 seeing if it's possible to reach that goal. I'm going on a trip to Florida and I want to be comfortable with my shirt off.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It is just about doable, but don't be disappointed if you don't quite get there.

20 with a bit of weight lifting would probably give you a nicer looking result, for that time span, and taking your shirt off on the beach. Look in the exercise sub forum for the beginner workout routines

The first 20 will be the easiest. The last 5-10 could be really slow. It is for a lot of people. You don't have a lot to lose so aim for 1 lbs a week. You may be able to lose 1.5 a week for the first 5 lbs, but after that you would probably be compromising your intake.

1500 is the healthy minimum for men. Don't go below it and eat a portion of your exercise back if you are working to MFP weight loss method not a tracking device or TDEE.

Cheers, h.

Forgot to say, losing slower 1 lbs a week will help you retain muscle as will the lifting. No use losing fast and being flabby on the beach B)
  • billy_mireles
    billy_mireles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Stay focused and you'll reach that mark.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I started at 216lbs (I'm also 5'7'') in June and reached a ~30lbs loss by December, so it's possible. I was eating pretty relaxed, too, so not depriving at all.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It is just about doable, but don't be disappointed if you don't quite get there.

20 with a bit of weight lifting would probably give you a nicer looking result, for that time span, and taking your shirt off on the beach. Look in the exercise sub forum for the beginner workout routines

The first 20 will be the easiest. The last 5-10 could be really slow. It is for a lot of people. You don't have a lot to lose so aim for 1 lbs a week. You may be able to lose 1.5 a week for the first 5 lbs, but after that you would probably be compromising your intake.

1500 is the healthy minimum for men. Don't go below it and eat a portion of your exercise back if you are working to MFP weight loss method not a tracking device or TDEE.

Cheers, h.

Forgot to say, losing slower 1 lbs a week will help you retain muscle as will the lifting. No use losing fast and being flabby on the beach B)

excellent advice H
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    30 lbs by June should be doable if your metabolism is good and you develop and stick to a solid exercise/nutrition plan. Work hard and eat with a purpose bud. You can do it! Hit me up if you need some help.
  • adub119
    adub119 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've got a pretty good lifting program going about 3x a week for an hour. I've been pretty consistent with it for about 6 months now, but I lost 0 weight so I decided to track my eating on this app. I deadlifted 365, squatted 315,and bench pressed 100lb dumbbells(easier to do without a spotter) last week.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @adub119 great to hear that you are already lifting, and consistent.

Work to losing 1lb a week. Protein at .65-85g per lb of body weight. Fats at .35g and carbs to fill in the rest is the general recommendation.
    We expect pics of you on the beach B)

Cheers, h.
    ( someone correct me if I have those numbers wrong please)
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    With those numbers it sounds like you have a good lifting programme in place. If you don't have a spotter, you can do a military press out of the squat rack if your gym has one for variety and greater shoulder development.

What you want now is as little muscle loss as possible with the weight loss. Middle has the protein numbers spot on since you are dieting and weightlifting heavily. Having a little extra helps with performance too.

Now is the time to become hyper focused on your intake and trying things such as carb cycling where you eat less on non-lifting days and more on lifting days while keeping calories well maintained. This can help to both keep calories down and reduce water retention while keeping energy high when you need the tank to lift. As long as you are as consistent with food as you have been with lifting, you should clear at least 20lbs lost by June and probably closer to 30 depending on how the last six weeks go.
  • adub119
    Options
    I'm going to stick to trying to hit my macros and staying with in my calorie limit. Maybe ill try carb cycling when I hit a plateau or when I'm closer to my goal weight of 150lbs
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Not a bad idea @adub119. As you have just started counting get comfortable doing that first, then switch to the carb cycling it will probably help finish you off nicely.
    Thanks for the explanation of the benefits if it @VisofSer, I have never known the basic science behind it.

Cheers, h.
  • LorenzoReps
    LorenzoReps Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On a similar goal here actually. Best wishes. I think perhaps protein should be higher than what's been said here but other than that, Godspeed.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @LorenzoReps, could you clarify the protein please.
    My understanding is .65-.85g per lbs of bodyweight, or 1g per lbs of LBM.

Cheers, h.
  • adub119
    Options
    I'm shooting for about 35% of my calories coming from protein, 30% from fat, and 35% from carbs. Comes pretty close to middlehaitch's suggestion.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Sounds good @adub119. If you find you are un- sated, need more of one macro less of another, to keep the hunger pangs away, just give the percentages a jiggle. It ain't rocket science.

Cheers, h.