Breaking down my goal... help?

Options
I'm having a hard time breaking my big goal down.

I want to lose 40lbs in the next six months. However, six months seems SO far away that I find I'm not working very hard right now - for example, little slip ups aren't as big a deal anymore (when they should be!).

Before the holidays I had a specific date (my work Christmas party) that I was working towards and I was motivated and feeling good (lost 30lbs!). Now, with the end so far away... I'm lacking motivation!

If I could book a trip somewhere and work towards that date, I would, but financially it's just not an option right now.

I could really use some advice. I don't want to slip back into old habits and ways.

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Okay, 40 lbs in six months. Divide 40 by 6 and you get 6.67 pounds a month. 1.5 to 2 pounds, approximately, a week.
    As for motivation, think about what you'll be able to do once you lose that weight. Why did you start? What/who are you doing this for? Keep it in your mind always. What are your dreams? Maybe competition could be motivating as well, or you can make it fun like a game. Do exercises you enjoy.
    Reward yourself with a non-food reward every time you reach a milestone, such as 5 or 10 pounds lost. That can also be a motivating thing.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Consume at least 1,200 calories a day for your health. Your goal is pretty aggressive. Too much too fast?
    If you have a specific goal to reach by a certain date, it is good to maintain for the last month. This means losing 8 lbs a month.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about 40lb as well, and I've drawn a wee grid on a post-it and keep it on me. In each box I put lbs, starting from the top down to my goal, but every 4 or 5 lbs, the box contains a reward, which I cross off as I go. So at the moment, I've lost 3lb, and when I lose two more, I get to buy a lipstick I've had my eye on. The next rewards get a bit better, and when I get to my target, I get to buy an expensive perfume I can't otherwise justify...

If that makes sense. It's working for me though. Good luck! :)
  • Jeremy_Noel
    Jeremy_Noel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that 40lbs in 6 months is pretty aggressive. Many sources would agree you should only shoot for a 20-25% calorie deficit, which will probably tend to a slower weight loss than 40lbs in 6 months, however it will keep you healthy and safe which should be the true goal.

I recommend celebrating the in journey to losing 40lbs. I went from 293lbs to 170lbs. It took around 4 years to get there. I was able to continue on by celebrating each step. Every pound made me smile, every 5 pounds was a cause for joy and every 10 pounds I felt reveled in how much better I looked and felt than the the last 10. Celebrate the steps, don't get frustrated that you haven't "arrived at the goal" because each step should feel wonderful and that progress will keep you towards the goal.
  • MarMcGrath
    MarMcGrath Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I recommend celebrating the in journey to losing 40lbs. I went from 293lbs to 170lbs. It took around 4 years to get there. I was able to continue on by celebrating each step. Every pound made me smile, every 5 pounds was a cause for joy and every 10 pounds I felt reveled in how much better I looked and felt than the the last 10. Celebrate the steps, don't get frustrated that you haven't "arrived at the goal" because each step should feel wonderful and that progress will keep you towards the goal.

I love this suggestion, it resonates with me for some reason! I've turned this whole process into "work" as opposed to enjoying it. Maybe time to take a mental step back and stop focusing so much on how hard it is, but how much I'm enjoying the accomplishment and success!
  • MarMcGrath
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about 40lb as well, and I've drawn a wee grid on a post-it and keep it on me. In each box I put lbs, starting from the top down to my goal, but every 4 or 5 lbs, the box contains a reward, which I cross off as I go. So at the moment, I've lost 3lb, and when I lose two more, I get to buy a lipstick I've had my eye on. The next rewards get a bit better, and when I get to my target, I get to buy an expensive perfume I can't otherwise justify...

This is a fabulous idea, I love the reward system. Plus I can set my rewards to fit within my budget!

Thank you!! :-)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    From what I have read, you shouldn't loose more than 1% of your body weight per week. So I have a projection spreadsheet. This is how it looks, replacing the letters with the cell numbers in the spreadsheet:

A=Current Weight
    B=ROUND(A-(A*0.01/7),2)
    C=ROUND(B-(B*0.01/7),2)
    D=ROUND(C-(C*0.01/7),2)

Example:
    Date Weight Goal
    1/4/2016 158 160
    1/5/2016 158 159.77
    1/6/2016 158 159.54
    1/7/2016 158 159.31
    1/8/2016 158 159.08
    1/9/2016 158 158.85
    1/10/2016 158 158.62

As you can see I haven't actually LOST anything last week...and to be honest not anything this week. Which is the problem projection. If I actually lost weight according to my projection I would be at my goal of 125lbs by June 16, 2016. This is 33lbs in about 6 months.

I am not actually expecting to keep up with the projection, but it does help to keep my perspective so that I don't get too discouraged.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont normally set goals other than 10 pound increments (thats how i lost 70 pounds last year), but i bought a new bikini (2, actually) that are a size (maybe close to 2 lolol) smaller than i am, and reserved a beach house for the first week in june - so.... thts my motivation- those bikinis. even if i dont for some reason make it, thats fine. improvement is improvement and i certainly have a drawer full of swimwear that will fit (I have pool, so i always have properly fitting swimsuits lol)
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Personally focusing on everything except diet and food helps. Yes I follow my calories but that's about as much thought as I give to it.

Idk I feel like if I don't think about it I don't need motivation, because it becomes a part of my daily life? Like a habit?

Sorry that's all I have to offer you. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Either form your goals based on something other than future dates, or focus on shorter term goals.

Goals can be based on more than just the calendar or the scale. Set a goal to log everyday. Set a goal to drink X oz of water every day. Set a goal to walk X number of steps a day or work out Y number of hours a week.

If you are motivated by the calendar and scale, then look ahead to the next 30 days. Or to the next 5 pounds gone on the scale. I did that when I was losing. (Now in maintenance.) Understand that the scale # will fluctuate from TOM/Sodium/Stress/etc. But I'd always look forward to the next 5 pounds gone. To seeing the scale move below 175, then 170, then 165, and so on.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Do what you know you are supposed to do and the number on the scale will follow.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I second, or third, the suggestion to reduce your goal a bit. Its very aggressive.
    After that, I recommend joining one of the challenges here. Some are date based (lose 20 by Easter! etc) and some follow tv shows, or whatever strikes your fancy. Find one with a lively chat board and a tracking mechanism. I've been part of several that have weekly weigh-ins, and the excel goddesses have them set to show percent lost, total loss, etc. Its a way to keep on track weekly, while still aiming for a longer term goal. Good luck!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Love this! Excellent idea!
  • tangee76
    tangee76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's funny to see someone also want to lose by June.. I'm turning the big 40 and want to lose 20-40 by than.. I know it's a big goal number but I'm trying to drop something .. It's been hard trying to drop this weight.. Like they say it's easy to put on but hard to take off.. I'm taking any pointers for my journey
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I used to make up these complicated charts of rewards and stuff, but no reward ever meant as much to me as actually losing weight each week. I find mini challenge groups very motivating because there's accountability built into a specific weigh-in day and it's harder to fool yourself that you're on track if you have to report to others that you're maintaining or gaining.
  • MarMcGrath
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help and advice! Reading your comments has really helped me take another look at my goal and how I plan to get there.

Here are some things I've decided to do:
    - Modify my goal to lose 40lbs by AUGUST instead of June (still aggressive, but better than before! - Go big or go home!).
    - I registered yesterday with a friend of mine to do a charity 5k! I've always been a casual runner, so now I have a 6 week training schedule to get in better shape for this (yay winter running)!
    - There is a new program starting at my gym in a few weeks and I've signed up for this as well (will fall on my cross-training days while I'm running), it lasts about 8 weeks.
    - Spend more time enjoying the journey! I love skating and swimming, those are both activities I can do with my small daughter, so I'll be trying to incorporate those more as well.
    - I'm also going to start a reward system for every 10lbs lost. I live on a strict budget - so for every 10lbs I lose, I'm going to treat myself to something simple (a new haircut is the first one on my list - totally needed).

Again, thank you all. This journey is pretty new to me, so I'm going to be looking for a lot of help! Feel free to add me if you think you have any additional wisdom or motivation to offer! :-)